General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride on my Scoot after Rotator Cuff Surgery

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007 | 09:03 PM
trgtshtr
|
Cruiser
Default First ride on my Scoot after Rotator Cuff Surgery

Had Left shoulder RC surgery in Mid Jan this year, PT 3X a week for 3 months now exercising at home only... That felt good.... BUTTTTTTTT

went out Wed night on my wife's V-Rod trike and didn't have too many problems so with out for 60 miles yesterday on my Ultra Classic and some friends... rode about 20 miles at a time.... Had to ride with one hand a lot and was really tired when be finally got home.... Yet it was the BEST Saturday I have had in MONTHS.... you couldn't wipe the smile off my face....

Great to be back in the saddle....[sm=biker2.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 04-22-2007 | 09:17 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: First ride on my Scoot after Rotator Cuff Surgery

Gratz! Glad to see your back on da scoot!

Old 04-22-2007 | 11:14 PM
MetricDavidson
Novice

I can relate...I had that surgery two years ago in March and rode for the first time that May. By August I was taking a 1200 mile road trip. I only mention that to encourage you. Watch out for pot holes early on...they will make you feel like you have been shot. You will also experience fatigue in the affected shoulder for quite some time but it gets better. Do your prescribed exercises at home religously and the odds are that you will be fine. Good luck !

Old 04-23-2007 | 12:04 AM
Bluerose

Congrats...my hubby had a similar surgery in Mid-Feb (turned out his rotator cuff was not torn but he had other damage).

He ventured out for a short jaunt about a month ago and was tired out or sore. About a week ago we did 2 - 60 mile jaunts (each way so 120 total) and he did well.

Keep working at it only gets better!

Old 04-23-2007 | 10:19 PM
trgtshtr
|
Cruiser

Great... thanks for the boost... I was definately wore out.... It was easier to ride my wife's V-rod Trike than my Ultra, must have been the handlbar height...

I have been doing my best to keep on the exercises 2 times a day.... I just can't believe how long this has taken and the the pain...

MD... Hit a hole with the trike... it made my teeth hurt.... I also have a LONG gravel road to maintain... I gotta get more 1/2" minus down.... har d har...

Thanks again all...

Old 04-24-2007 | 01:22 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior

rotater cuff/tendon cap repair a few years back and i can totally relate. first couple rides beat me up pretty bad. was about 3 weeks out from surgery. was at the dragstrip racing the street car at 7 days out. only able to make 2 passes before my friends all had their turns. had acl/pcl/meniscus on the left knee last year and that was even more fun than the shoulder. hard to always put down the right leg and leave the left on the peg at lights. every bump felt like making me cry. so worth it though.

Old 04-24-2007 | 01:25 AM
kfmorris
Road Captain

Glad to hear you had a great 1st ride this season after surgery.
Dont push it to hard, theres plenty of riding time left
Ride safe this season, and have fun....

Old 04-24-2007 | 01:38 AM
Vinny132
Tourer

Ride that bitch bro..

Old 04-24-2007 | 01:44 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior

damm...you're all scaring me....my right RC is bad since last yr..its gotten better since I've been exercising it but its not 100%...rode a good 180 miles yesterday and it was OK...what killed me (damn near literally) was breakiing in a new Benelli a few wks back...shoulder was sore like never before...

I'm hoping I don't NEED the surgery...I refuse to get laid up this season....glad your back in the saddle...

QUESTION to those with RC experience - how'd you know you needed the surgery???....thnx!

Old 04-24-2007 | 04:14 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior

kjriv, new i needed rotater cuff surgery when i got up and my arm was so out of socket people thought i was deformed. was snowboarding and ate s@$t pretty bad. tore tendon cap off of humerous and destroyed rotater cuff. ski patrol was able to get shoulder back into place but couldn't use arm for months until surgery. could hop up and down and have shoulder dislocate. mine was pretty obvious to the kaiser doctors that my junk was in a bad way. have had several friends that also have had some rotater cuff injuries that were minor and progressivley got worse as time went on. usually when they were unable to raise their arms above their shoulder and had sleepless night after sleepless night they were finally mri'd and then after awhile (this is kaiser we're dealing with) were fixed. some people have had bad experiences with their surgeries but i can say nothing bad at all about it. my shoulder will never be the same as it was before i wrecked it, as far as stamina and muscle strength, but it does not hurt like it did ,and i can sleep all night without waking up 10 times. i just chalk it up to the fact that this is how it rolls when you abuse your body as much as i have.

Quick Reply: First ride on my Scoot after Rotator Cuff Surgery