General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride on my Scoot after Rotator Cuff Surgery

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007 | 10:11 AM
MetricDavidson
Novice
Default RE: First ride on my Scoot after Rotator Cuff Surgery

ORIGINAL: kjriv

damm...you're all scaring me....my right RC is bad since last yr..its gotten better since I've been exercising it but its not 100%...rode a good 180 miles yesterday and it was OK...what killed me (damn near literally) was breakiing in a new Benelli a few wks back...shoulder was sore like never before...

I'm hoping I don't NEED the surgery...I refuse to get laid up this season....glad your back in the saddle...

QUESTION to those with RC experience - how'd you know you needed the surgery???....thnx!

I actually tore mine about 3 years before I needed the surgery and was able to avoid it by doing the prescribed exercises consistently. Slowly over time, however, it started getting worse...pain on motion; further reduced range of motion; and pain when trying to sleep. Then, I tore the labrum and did some additional damage to the existing injury...it was downhill fast. In my case, my shoulder was unstable and painful all of the time. I heard and felt clicking whenever I would move it in certain directions. Eventually, I could not lift my arm in certain ways without the help of the other one. Sleeping became an impossibility. Bottom line, it was a combination of the pain becoming really intense and more generalized, and a significant loss of function, that drove me to the surgery. I wanted my life back. If you haven't talked to your orthopedic surgeon recently, I would recommend doing that...he/she might order some updated diagnostics and give you a pretty good assessment regarding where things are at and what you can expect with and without the surgery. Like fj4069 said, there are some horror stories out there and you will probably hear all of them. There are also some success stories, however. I would hate like hell to face it again but I am glad that I had the work done...I am probably at about 90-95% in terms of strength and mobility. If you have the surgery there are three ingredients that all need to be mixed in equal parts for a good outcome: 1) a competent surgeon, 2) a competent physical therapist, and 3) a motivated patient willing to put in a lot of time and effort following directions and working at rehabiliation. Freelancing it won't work. Good luck !

Old 04-24-2007 | 10:20 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Glad to hear you are getting some saddle time. Hope your recovery is complete.

Old 04-24-2007 | 11:19 PM
trgtshtr
|
Cruiser

Thanks again all for the responses....

KJRIV... I fell hard on the shoulder after a winter ice storm.... Like MD, I was in pain and couldn't sleep. Went to Orthpedic, had xray. It only showed a bone spur right on the end of the shoulder bone about the size the end of my little finger.... that bothered the Dr. enough to have an MRI... had detachment of a muscle and it had moved up under my shoulder bone.... It's been 3+ months now.... I had PT 3X a week for 3 months and am doing my exercises at home... no weights yet but am starting to notice more range of motion and strength... It has been VERY slow and I still sleep part of the night in the recliner.... but it was necessary and I am glad I had it done. Fortunately for me I type on a computer and on conf. calls all the time, so I only had to take a week off work...

Again... thanks all for the encouragement!!!

Old 04-24-2007 | 11:43 PM
MetricDavidson
Novice

Oh wow, I forgot about having to sleep in the recliner for weeks. Fortunately, that also passes. Trgtshtr, even after you have been discharged from physical therapy continue with the weight exercises as prescribed...I still do them every other day and it's now been over two years. Another thing not to freak out about...your upper arm will likely shrink in diameter from inactivity after the surgery. I am skinny to start with and mine looked like a pencil for awhile. I am still skinny but my arm looks normal again (for me).

Old 04-25-2007 | 02:36 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior

thanks for the input gang....I screwed it up last summer throwing the kids around in the pool,...hurt like HELL, (thank you Vikodin) couldn't sleep on it let alone lift it - I could rest it on and usethe throttle tho! ....my Orthopedist showed me iton a scan/MRI..wasn't pretty..he did suggest exercises and hasn't pushed the surgery, which is what has pretty much got me back on track - pains gone and mobilty is bettertho not like it used to be...on the plus side (mine anyway) I never had it as bad as what you all went thru....I guess as long as it doesn't go south and it continues to improve I'll hold off...thanks again..heal fast fellas!!