General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wearing Harley gear looked down upon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Jlister
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wearing Harley gear looked down upon?

I read that guys (and ladies i guess) who wear harley clothing are often laughed at and thought of as posers. Personally i would like to show support for an american company especially one such as Harley. I think yes they are a little pricey but they have really nice, quality gear. For me personally, its not so much that i want people to know that i ride a harley and that i should be thought of in a special way or people should take me more seriously. I DO want people to know that i ride a harley because i worked my *** off to afford one and not only that, but when i see someone with a harley shirt, jacket, hat, sweatshirt etc. i like to talk to them about it.

Maybe the poser stereotype is more towards people who are completely decked out in harley clothing or something i dont know. what do you guys think?

Old 03-22-2015, 04:39 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

I think I'll wear what I want, and not give a rat's *** what anybody thinks. You should do the same.

The following users liked this post:
aleccrowley (07-09-2016)
Old 03-22-2015, 04:42 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I never wear advertising, which is what branded clothing is to me..pay a company to be a walking billboard for their product? Not in a million yrs..I've seen some things I wouldda bought in a second zept Harley was all over it...it's not even slightly subtle..to me, it's obnoxious..kinda douchey.....inconspicuous badging is different

Last edited by amkaos; 03-22-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:43 PM
thundergod
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wear whatever you want to wear does not matter what others say or think. this whole poser thing has gotten way out of control. what is a poser personally i think unless you are a 1%er you are a poser myself included cause like you i worked my *** off to be able to afford a Harley have always rode just could not afford the harley in my youth. by the way my last three bikes have been Harley's sporty had 90,000 miles in three years second Softball had 50,000 in two and now my 13 road king has 45,000 so i ride and pose a lot. LOL.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Since I actually do ride a Harley, I don't see how I could be called a poser for wearing H-D gear.

My current riding kit includes items from Arai, H-D, Scorpion, Alpinstars, Stylmartin...whatever I thought was best in its category...<shrug>...as others have said, wear whatever you want.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:49 PM
IMKMA
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't really care what others think about what I wear either. I have some harley clothing,mostly t shirts from dealerships I've visited and a denim jacket that I think is well made and functional for riding. I could have gotten a cheaper denim jacket but I like that the collar has snaps so that it doesn't wack me in the face while riding and it has really nice deep inside pockets too. So at $85 it was worth it too me. I have a harley ball cap that I like too, but I guess if I wore all three items at the same time it might be a bit much! Just wear what you like..

Old 03-22-2015, 04:57 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

It really makes no difference what anyone wears.

My issue with harley gear is they charge made in a America prices for crap made in china.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Fourdogs
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I think I'll wear what I want, and not give a rat's *** what anybody thinks. You should do the same.
Absolutely!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Lowdowndirtyshame
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't wear anything that promotes any company, be it Harley, a sports team or anything else. Companies are in it to make money for themselves period. They will go cheap or high quality or anything else for that matter if they think at the end of the day it will be more profitable for them. I have no issue with a company making money off me, everyone needs to turn a profit, but I won't wear something that advertises for a company that couldn't really care less about me, regardless of what they claim. People like to deck themselves out in HD gear, that's fine. Why should I care.

And to all these people that claim to be confronted by people for wearing this shirt or that hat. I don't know what your talking about. I have never experienced that nor anyone I know. Not sayin it hasn't happened to a small number of people but usually when I read a thread like that I get the feeling someone is just bored at home and inventing things to get offended about.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,295 Likes on 6,039 Posts

The only time I think of posers is when someone rolls up in a bmw/lexus/audi etc and gets out wearing engineer boots ( newly polished and shiney), black jeans (pressed with crease), black Harley t-shirt (pressed), and a do-rag.....something doesn't seem quite right! I wear what I like and what is comfortable. I have many Legion Rider shirts, along with those of various events I've attended. I'm a function over style person. Bottom line wear what suits you and don't worry what others think. Even if you drive a bmw/lexus/audi!!!

Quick Reply: Wearing Harley gear looked down upon?