General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wearing Harley gear looked down upon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:31 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

I sometimes wear an HD shirt when wheeling my Jeep and sometimes wear a Jeep shirt when riding the Harley. Is that bad dequorum?

Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I think those who get negative labels are the ones who go for broke and are decked out from head to toe with harley shirt, pants, belt and buckle, socks, underwear etc. The truth is, most people will think you look like a toolbag poser if you do this. That's just the way it is. Moderation is a fine thing indeed.

But you have the right to do as you see fit and if it makes you happy, nobody can stop you from laying out a grand to deck yourself out in official harley regalia from head to toe. You can even spend a hundred dollars or so to buy your dog an outfit with studded HD collar.

Also, everyone cares how they are perceived by others. That's just part of reality for social beings.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

well i wear what i want so.

I have a bunch of harley tshirts, a harlry jacket i bought used, 2 pair of chaps one bought the other gifted to me. Ive had their boots before but find that theyre for real junk compared to the red wing loggers i wear.

I dunno I put enough miles on my bike that if anyone called me a poser id just shake my head and go find a real conversation.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Riding a bike is part of my life. Harley Davidson is part of my life. If this upsets you you need to get a life!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Dogs57
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I usually just wear regular jeans and a Harley T shirt because I have a bunch of them. I really don't care what other people think.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:46 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PPBART
I'm an officer in the local HOG chapter ...... I realized after joining HOG: Those folks are probably having more fun than you are, and they really don't care what you think about it!<G>
...........I looked through my closet.........
WoW! because they are geared up? because they are hog members?
heck of a way to tout hog membership or to get people interested in hog.

I looked through my closet and drawers and found zero, nada, zilch branded.

my boots, leathers, jeans, t shirt, all work as well, likely better that the branded stuff and who am I to judge if I am having as much fun as you or your group?

I will say that my wife has a pair of their jeans because she likes the way they fit her, we buy our daughter accessories from hd, because she likes branded stuff from them. Again, who am I to judge? Peace Out hog officer.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:05 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,069 Likes on 4,335 Posts

Times sure have changed.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Bird-man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheels24
Wear what you want. You want to wear a Philadelphia Eagles jersey even though you never even played JV football in high school...go ahead. You want to wear a Fender shirt even though you don't own a guitar...do it. You want to wear a Led Zeppelin t-shirt even though you never saw them in concert...make it so. You want to wear a Harley shirt...have at it. What business is it of mine?

yeah, that!

I am new to this, although I've been around 6 decades, so I have a few things figured out. I never thought much about Harley clothing until I bought a Harley. Now I like seeing people in a Harley t-shirt or jacket. Talked to a guy the other day. He got out of his pickup in a cut off white Harley t-shirt with a Harley tatoo on his shoulder.....this guy was no poser. Trust me. He was the real deal, and a great guy. We talked in the parking lot for 15 minutes about the '09 RK I had just picked up, and his '05 that he had done a bunch to.

I would have challenged anyone on this board to call him a poser to his face.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've never seen so many men in one place that were so concerned with the clothes other people wear. It's like being in a beauty shop full of gossipy old biddies. How many of you are getting the blue rinse in your hair?

Old 03-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I like people who wear Harley clothes and the like; even if they don't have a bike. They make oil filters and gaskets cheaper and make Harley Davidson one of the most recognizable brands in the world.

So I say; Thank You for supporting the oldest continually in business motorcycle company in the history of the world.

Quick Reply: Wearing Harley gear looked down upon?