General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel shift / toe shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,403 Likes on 5,006 Posts

Size 13 boot, no room on the floorboard to move around, so the heel shifter had to go.

Another thing to think about with the heel shifter is that some people tend to stomp pretty heavily onto the shifter even though they don`t realize it. I think it is a major cause of loose shift levers at the transmission.

Checking the tightness of the shift lever bolt (at the transmission) should be a part of your regular maintenance schedule, or it may bite you.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:48 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

I had to install the heel / toe shifter on my Breakout. I think its terrific ! I put a long peg on the toe end and a stubby peg at the heel and mounted it at an angle that suits me perfectly. I've demo'd bikes with floor boards and don't like those. Feels like I'm trapped, like I'm trying to step dance with buckets on my feet.

Anyhow, aren't Harley Davidson's just great ? You can configure em to shift any darned way you want, with more style choices than other mfgr's have models; and thats without considering you can even move the whole damn works forward if you want to !

"How do I shift thee ? Let me count the ways".

Old 03-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Once I got used to it, I like it quite a bit. I don't have big feet, so plenty of room on the footboard for my boot, and I don't stomp the lever, so I'm not worried about damaging it. I also like the look of the dual lever.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:34 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Came off a Dyna and onto a Street Glide - the heel shifter was the first thing I removed when I got her home.
Leave it on if you like it, but don't think you need to keep it on by any means....

Old 03-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too use the heel shifter to find neutral. Works really well, give it a try

Old 03-21-2015, 05:54 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Had been riding a sportster with toe shift only. First bikes I ever rode with heel/toe shift were a CVO Roadking and a Heritage at a demo day. Not sure what was different between the two, but on the RK, I really struggled to get my foot in between the two pegs. Immediately following that ride went to the Heritage, and it felt much more natural.

A month later I traded the sporty for a Deluxe, with heel/toe shifters. At first I contemplated removing the heel shifter - not because it was in the way, but because I wasn't using it. A friend convinced me to keep it for a bit and try getting used to it. For the first couple of weeks riding with it, it took conscious effort to remember to use it (and I probably hammered it pretty hard more than once). But after about a month (maybe 6 or 700 miles) using it increasingly frequently, I have come to really like it. I know a lot of people like using it to find neutral - I struggle with that, so normally toe shift up from 1st for neutral. But I really like it during normal riding. I don't lift my whole foot - lift heel in a similar motion to standing just on the ball of your foot, and slide aft just a bit. You might need to adjust the height that the peg sits above your floorboard to make it more comfortable for yourself.

I will suggest what my friend did - try sticking with it for a little while - if you still hate it, ditch it.

Good luck and enjoy the new ride.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:04 PM
6bblbird
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that I'll have to get used to it. So far I have not used it much. Old habit I guess. Some say it makes it easier to find neutral. It has not worked for me so far. The only way that I'm able to find neutral is to kill the ignition and reach down with my left hand! I don't think that this method will prove practical.
WF

Old 03-21-2015, 06:07 PM
fffffish
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is not enough room between them so the heal shifter is always the first thing to come off the bike But most of my riding buddies love them give it a try for a few weeks you will know quickly if you want it.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:08 PM
tatcarr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get rid of the heel shifter Harley sells Chrome To cover the end were you take it off .

Old 03-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

I would agree with adjusting them then give them a try. Adjust them on the pline the fine tune with the linkage ensuring they do not contact the footboard. My heel shifter is only about 1" off the footboard making it very easy to hit. The toe shifter is just high enough for my boot to fit under it, I set it this way till I got used to the heel shifter. I may try lowering the toe shifter one day but I am quite comfortable with the setup now.

Finding neutral with the heel shifter takes a little getting used to. It requires perfecting a quick little tap with the heel. Once perfected I now never use my toe for neutral which will allow me to lower it too.

I installed Kuryakyn 1" out 1" forward footboard extensions which get me more room on the outside of the board for my foot. That was an unexpected bonus since I installed them for my long legs.

Quick Reply: Heel shift / toe shift