General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The speeds we travel on HOGs

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This chart may help illustrate better what I was trying to describe. The blue part of the line represents reaction distance, i.e., the amount of time = distance it takes to react, meaning the time it takes the brain to see and react to an obstacle in the road, and the red part of the line is braking distance, the amount of time = distance it takes to stop once you actually start applying brakes. As can be seen, traveling at 80 mph it takes over a football field to come to a complete stop (reaction time + braking time).

Attached Thumbnails The speeds we travel on HOGs-tip164_stopping-distance.jpg  

Last edited by Grizzwood; 03-24-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:38 AM
roturbose
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not speed that kills, suddenly becoming stationary is what kills you.

That said I ride pretty fast most of the time, but am comfortable when doing so. Hitting the ton is a normal occurrence.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:41 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Should some of this conversation be about learning how to use your brakes? I've watched more than one rider go sailing by another rider in a quick stopping situation even though there was a reasonable distance between the riders and on similar bikes. Nothing like watching a rider with their rear tire locked up going sideways because they don't know how to use a front brake and are improperly using the rear brake. Even if they have a good reaction time, it's ruined if they don't know how to stop. Easy to duplicate in a parking lot, watch stopping distances vary just because of who's riding the bike.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to ride just a few miles an hour faster than the traffic. I do believe in my "spidey sense" and if it doesn't feel right, I do slow down. Night in Texas is critter fest so its important to adapt your speed to the environment you are riding in.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:27 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowdowndirtyshame
Really, moose come after you? Lol, ok.

I came up on a moose here in CO one evening. The bastard was standing right on the side of the road and as I gave space and went to go by, the little **** started running right at me.

Moose DO come after you. If you ever come up on one...better have that throttle hand ready.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:31 PM
taro1958
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed and Safety

Originally Posted by Grizzwood
Its another "how fast do you go thread." But, to the young bucks out there, take these words of wisdom to heart, "speed kills."

If you care to, share your experiences of speed, but not for bragging rights, rather share your experiences on control of your machine and any other thoughts including safety tips that I may have missed.
I've been licensed since 1974. In that time the single most frightening thing that has happened isn't speed, but cell phones and texting. I commute in Los Angeles where rush hour is the norm. If a car is drifting into my lane, 9 out of 10 times it is someone texting or using the cell phone in some way. another scary thing is people wearing earphones listening to music and can't hear what is going on outside their car. I didn't have to worry about these things back in the day.

I don't own a car. Just a RK, my third. I put on a lot of miles. When I travel on the freeway going out of town, I find myself cruising at 80+. When I went cross country from Boston to California, I found myself cruising at 90+. Generally around here, I am going 70-80 on the freeway.

One thing I've learned is that the majority of accidents, according to the American Motorcycle Association occurs because automobiles violate our right of way and causes us to crash, or crashes into us. I've also learned that inexperience is the second most common cause of motorcycle accidents where speed is certainly a factor. The rider was going faster than his/her skills would allow.

For me, some of the most effective things to do on a motorcycle was also the most counter-intuitive things. Want to turn effectively? Counter-steer. That lesson took a while to take, but once learned, my cornering became much safer. Want to avoid an accident? Often that means accelerate and get the heck out of the way because we only have two wheels, and brakes compared to four of a car. Experience tells us what may happen in a split instance because we were lucky enough to have seen such a thing happen before and was able to avoid it. At my age, I am so grateful that I've managed to anticipate some things before they happen and act accordingly.

I also attend the advance motorcycle safety training every few years. Learning from pros can never hurt. It has been money well spent. If something you learn saves just one crash, it was well worth it!

All in all, keeping the rubber side down isn't always about speed, but good judgement, good reflexes, blind luck, a guardian angel and a whole host of things we cannot control. Even with all the precautions taken, bad things can happen. We all know that every time we ride, it could be the last thing we ever do, yet we all ride because what we get out of it is greater that the risk we take. So, I appreciate you asking this question because it gets the conversation going and hopefully something that some one writes here may save another person from an accident. That said, I have gone over 145 a few times when I was young and rode sport bikes...At that speed, it is not doubt pure Russian Roulette. These days, I only go as fast as the condition at that moment allows.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:36 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

With no fairing or windshield anything over 60 usually sucks. My Speed Racer days are over. Except for cruising out East on the L.I.E. I have no reason to go over 55.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:53 PM
owensmech
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jadyer
^i am younger than most harley enthusiasts I would think (24). I appreciate bullet bikes for what they are. I considered getting one. But personally I like the looks and feel of the harley over the sport bike. Not to mention the wife didn't trust me on a bullet bike.

I was able to compromise with the wife about not getting a bullet bike and getting my harley. She knows how I am and knew that I would be a bit tempted on the bullet bike. Would I be able to handle it? I believe I absolutely would. But the fact is that I have a wife and kid soon to be 2 that need me and want to have a dad. She would worry every time I got on the damn thing and i have more respect for her than to give her more stress and anxiety than she already has to deal with. Riding a bullet bike daily, the speed factor is there and much more attainable.

Yes people spend lots of money on their bikes for performance, but I know very few that do it to be able to walk sport bikes in a race. I think a lot of it has to do with the bike being different than others, and having more than enough power than what will he needed. Everyone likes to see what their bike can do and some want it to be able to outrun other bikes or cars. Then there are those that do it for the dyno sheet and to be able to say their harley has 150+ hp.

I mod my bike but don't race. I like having the power, mostly the torque, for when I want it. If I decide I want to do a faster canyon run or do a. Few pulls on an open stretch of road I can do it and be happy with the improvement. People always want more of things they enjoy. Once you feel 60hp on a bike, 85 is like a whole new feeling. Then you get tired of that and get 110 and it is awesome. Then it's not enough. Part of being an enthusiast to me is the work that goes into the bike. Just because I don't use it all the time doesn't mean there isn't a reason to not have and definitely doesn't mean that I don't enjoy it.
You bascially nailed a few other points I was making. You admit in a previous post that 80-90 scared you, yet you continue to modify the bike for more and more power, that you're not really ever going to use. Her in NY, the highways run 75-80 EVERY morning to get to work. If you want to enjoy the ride, you can do it on a little single cylinder Suzuki, you dont need a new 110ci. Anyone out to "prove something", and not enjoy the freedom that comes along with two wheels, is really missing out. As for "those that do it for the dyno sheet and to be able to say their harley has 150+ hp.", I feel really bad for them and their insecurities, its costing them a bit of money. More power to anyone that wants to ride fast and take chances, as long as its somewhere safe. Its their life, not anyone elses, let them live. The only ones that should be concerned with how fast you're going on the highway is the fuzz, and even they dont give two hoots how fast you're going if theres an HD logo on it.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jadyer
Yes people spend lots of money on their bikes for performance...I think a lot of it has to do with the bike being different than others, and having more than enough power than what will he needed. Everyone likes to see what their bike can do and some want it to be able to outrun other bikes or cars.
Probably true, but the fact is that even a slow motorcycle is generally going to be faster than a fast car.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by digthemlows
Harley's just don't handle well at speed, they are heavy and the suspension is pretty bad..... it's just the nature of a "cruiser". I consistently rode between 85-95 on the freeways on my Ducati and was totally fine... I had it up to 148 (gps not speedo) and although scary it handled fine....... my Harley, anything past 75 and it just doesn't feel right..... these bikes were not made for prolonged fast speeds....they are cruisers!! At least that's my opinion based on riding for 34 years...... be safe out there!!
That's about right. I did a squirrelly, WOT 105 mph on my '69 Honda 305 SuperHawk (Heaven knows how accurate the speedo was) back in the 60's when I was immortal, and a very comfortable, ride-on-rails 120 mph (GPS) on my Honda ST1300 a few years ago. But I never had any of my Harleys much over 80, and I'm more than happy with that.

Quick Reply: The speeds we travel on HOGs