General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Bike Week attendance down here's why

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:36 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 1,214 Posts
Default Daytona Bike Week attendance down here's why

I have to laugh when i read all these comments from Daytona business people, the Chamber of Commerce and their buddies and all their theories about why attendance is down.

They come up with every excuse in the book except the MAIN reason: People get sick of being GOUGED!

By the way, this was one of the best bike weeks I've been to. You had room to move and there were still tons of bikes and babes.

Camping is the way to go. Next, they'll be gouging us on campground fees.

Attached Thumbnails Daytona Bike Week attendance down here's why-img_0913.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
avietnamvet69 (11-09-2022)
Old 03-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

And all the other rallies lower the prices on food, beer, rooms, service, parts & accessories? I never realized that! But you do have a point. One excuse the C of C used for lower attendance was the lousy weather up north. Of course, one of the reasons that some businesses used for higher attendance this year was, you guessed it, lousy weather up north, lol As I mentioned in another thread, I believe there are more people coming to "Florida Bike Week", but they stay in St Augustine, Palm Coast, Sanford, Orlando, even the west coast. And a lot them only make a day trip to Daytona, if that. More people spread out over hundreds of miles.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:50 PM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain
Received 165 Likes on 67 Posts

I know when we go to daytona for the coke zero 400 in july, the price of a motel 8 is $350.00 per nite! After race week the same room is $65.00.
then then bitch they have to close the back stretch cause attendance is down.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

Economics 101, supply and demand. Gouging? Nobody said you had to pay it, it's voluntary. Spring Break, everything here goes up, race weeks, everything goes up. Bike Week and Biketoberfest, everything goes up.

All the restaurants, bars, motels, house rentals, campgrounds etc, all follow suit. When all the high volume events move out, all the prices drop.
That's how it has always worked, some just don't get it.

That said, I know of a few bars who won't raise prices much during the events, and that's where I go , and give my business. Yeah, some of the vendors and establishments get a little greedy during these times, and that's ok, I just won't give them my business during the events.

Come to think about it, I might just start renting out a couple extra bedrooms for the events, I could make a killing off you guys.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:16 PM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 155 Posts

I was down there for the first 4 days. I camped on the infield of the speedway. I bought a 5 day pass for 70 bucks. You pitch your tent on the Northern end near turn 4. Nice bathrooms and showers, clean and well kept up.

If attendance was down I didn't notice. Main St on the first weekend was packed with bikes like always. The next day I went up to the Harley dealer, packed, had to park north of the store area and walk back.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:28 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

This was the first time I've been to Daytona Bike Week and I was expecting larger crowds. I didn't notice any gouging but I didn't have to pay for a place to stay - my cousin lives there. I thought $3/$4 beers were less than a regular bar and food prices were normal. But like someone mentioned, it's supply and demand. If a Motel 6 doesn't fill up at $350 a night, the price will come down next year until there becomes a saturation point. Never been to any large rally where it was different.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:36 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,000 Likes on 11,999 Posts

I've always wanted to go see a NASCAR race at Bristol.
It would cost me $2500 for the weekend. I'll watch on TV instead.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:40 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
Economics 101, supply and demand. Gouging? Nobody said you had to pay it, it's voluntary. Spring Break, everything here goes up, race weeks, everything goes up. Bike Week and Biketoberfest, everything goes up.

All the restaurants, bars, motels, house rentals, campgrounds etc, all follow suit. When all the high volume events move out, all the prices drop.
That's how it has always worked, some just don't get it.

That said, I know of a few bars who won't raise prices much during the events, and that's where I go , and give my business. Yeah, some of the vendors and establishments get a little greedy during these times, and that's ok, I just won't give them my business during the events.

Come to think about it, I might just start renting out a couple extra bedrooms for the events, I could make a killing off you guys.
I think that's exactly what the OP is saying... but now those same restaurants, shops, vendors are wondering why the attendance is dropping... Duh, just as you do, people stop going to those expensive/gouging establishments. They really shouldn't wonder why people stop going when their prices are ridiculously high; that is all that is being said I believe.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:51 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The exact reason we are bailing on Sturgis this year. The same house we rented in 2012 for $3K is $5500 this year. Thanks but no thanks. Going to Colorado instead.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:05 PM
SSI Dog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you'd been to Bike Week before and after the opening of Destination Daytona, it seemed to spread out the crowd. It's also a PITA to get hit with $5 parking every place you try to go.

Quick Reply: Daytona Bike Week attendance down here's why