General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Bike Week

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Daytona Bike Week

I've been going every year since 1990 and have watched its demise over the years. This year, the vendor booths at the race track shrunk to 1/4 the size they were last year. More cars on the road than bikes, between NASCAR fans, Spring Breakers and tourists that come over in cars to check it out. So much traffic it takes 5+ cycles to get through a stop light, only to have to stop again for the next one and wait another 5 cycles. Cops everywhere............and now this: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...ngs/ar-AA9Tasc As far as I'm concerned, it's entrapment. This will be my last year attending this. It's a joke now.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:40 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 826 Likes on 393 Posts

To be honest with you, I'm glad the "fad" part of motorcycling seems to be ending. I liked it better before all these new people got into it during the OCC days. Maybe I can enjoy biking now one last time before the sun sets

Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
I've been going every year since 1990 and have watched its demise over the years. This year, the vendor booths at the race track shrunk to 1/4 the size they were last year. More cars on the road than bikes, between NASCAR fans, Spring Breakers and tourists that come over in cars to check it out. So much traffic it takes 5+ cycles to get through a stop light, only to have to stop again for the next one and wait another 5 cycles. Cops everywhere............and now this: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...ngs/ar-AA9Tasc As far as I'm concerned, it's entrapment. This will be my last year attending this. It's a joke now.
Not sure you went to the same event I did. I've been at the events since the 60's, while just a kid. I was raised in Daytona and have seen a lot of things during the events.

There were definitely more vendors in the Midway than there were last year.
As a matter of fact, they took away most of the east side parking to make room for the large Indian setup. The crowds were so large, that this year is the 1st time I saw them block entrances to the Speedway, and Destination Daytona, due to overpopulation in the event.

I watched many bikes not being able to find parking at the track while I was there. I didn't see any vacant spots in the Speedway midway for any additional vendors.

If anything, the events keep getting larger, population wise and geographically. Not only that, but they have also increased the amount of days the events run.

Cops have ALWAYS been thick in Daytona, I couldn't tell you how many tickets I've gotten in Daytona over the years. It seems like there is a cop on every street.

As far as traffic goes, I never get held up, I know how to get around all of it.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I gotta think there were more vendors around than in the past few years. The speedway was at least as big as last year & I think bigger. Lots of police, but unless you're acting like a jerk, they are a pretty patient group. Better than the yahoos in Sturgis who will ticket you for not putting both your feet down at a stop sign. Traffic is traffic. It's going to get clogged up when there are 500,000 visitors in town. Daytona doesn't do everything right, which has caused many people to stay in other cities to the north, west & south. Really should rename it Florida Bike Week 'cause its so spread out. But overall, they do a pretty good job. With a Hard Rock hotel on the beach & a new complex at the speedway opening in a year or so, that could change. Now, if they would make Main St "Bikes Only" during the whole event!

Old 03-17-2015, 08:07 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 1,361 Posts

This was the best crowd I've seen in Daytona in years and I've been going since 1979.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Entrapment. You are siding with the child **** and dudes trying to have sex with kids? Disgusting.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 PM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stop going years ago and I live just north in Jaxksonville. Way too much traffic and hate being robbed on the price of a beer

Did I say way too much traffic!!

Can't believe they don't close off Main Street to just bikes complete BS

Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We went the 2nd weekend. The racetrack parking area was empty, except for the Indian/Harley/Kawi/Yamaha and Honda area. About 20 tented vendors. Harley was the only one giving demo rides.

Maybe people just packed up earlier this year than they did other years. Normally, nobody is packed up yet on the second weekend. Maybe they packed up and left on Friday.

Last edited by Thumper09; 03-19-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:47 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

It was one helluva party! A shame some of the folks didn't loosen up and enjoy it. Everything is what you make of it. Me? I'm still smiling.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

I know of at least 6 vendors that have moved from the racetrack to Destination over the last 2 years and we were one of them. We did well from the 4th-8th why'll I was there I guess it really slowed down later in the week.

Quick Reply: Daytona Bike Week