General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap LED H4 Headlight Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 PM
Sandy H.
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cheap LED H4 Headlight Bulb

Bought and installed one of the cheap LED H4 bulbs off ebay and installed it in my 1200C Sportster. Not happy with the results and will change it back to the H4 halogen. I have an old off road H4 bulb I might try since I ran those before and retained the defined beam that was lost with the LED.

Here is the LED bulb installed in the housing. You cannot use the rubber boot with these.

After readjusting so the low beam won't blind people there is very little distinction between low and high beams.

Here is a picture of the stock high beam adjusted to a 35" high center at 25' distance per the manual.

Here is the stock low beam after adjusting high beam to proper height.

Here is the LED high beam with the bucket in the same place it was in with stock headlight.

Here is the LED low beam with the bucket in the same place it was in with stock headlight. Note the lack of defined cutoff.

Here is the LED low beam after adjusting the top to match the stock light so it won't blind people.

And finally here is the LED high beam after adjusting the low so it won't blind people.

The bottom line is the LED bulb produces and nice bright, white, light, but isn't going to make oncoming traffic happy unless you adjust the bucket down a lot from stock. At that point the bright light isn't going to project the bright white beam as far as the standard halogen bulb does.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:54 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Very considerate of you to adjust it low for oncoming traffic,
But,
Don't worry,, have you seen what their doing with new pickup tucks and those head lights? Or "luxury" vehicles? There is no thought of the other guy with those rigs,,
Turn the bucket up so you can see well, then bring it down a tad if your getting flashed too much,, someone flashing every once in awhile is ok,, but if their all doing it your too high.
There is a trade off,, first most important thing is your clear vision, after that it's the other guy,,

Old 03-16-2015, 10:50 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

I've read that those bulbs are not supposed to blind oncoming traffic. Nor sure why or how. Easier on the eyes I guess...