General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:08 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery tender question

Had my bike on a tender over winter but my battery died. Thought it was because my kids unplugged the extension cord to use on something else. So I replaced my battery. Plugged it into the tender today and noticed a flashing red / green light which means something is not functioning properly. I checked the pigtail and all connections are solid. I noticed a fuse on that pigtail but it looks OK. I'm going to replace it just in case. Does anyone have any other ideas? Maybe a bad tender?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:23 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What tender do you have?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the battery tender junior....the brand with the green labels.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:42 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would imagine it would have been cheaper to have the tender checked before buying a new battery. With my tender, when first plugged in, it conducts a number of checks during initialization mode to ensure the battery is functioning normally. During this time the lights will flicker on and off and then settle into a solid light when things are normal. I do have a tender purchased from the local Harley shop.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:42 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,294 Posts

When you first put a battery on charge on the battery tender, the red light comes on. When the battery reaches 80% charge, the lights will flash red/green. At full charge, it will be green only.

I had a battery tender jr. and had troubles with it too. I chalked it up to a POS and got the regular size.

carl

Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by backplay
I would imagine it would have been cheaper to have the tender checked before buying a new battery. With my tender, when first plugged in, it conducts a number of checks during initialization mode to ensure the battery is functioning normally. During this time the lights will flicker on and off and then settle into a solid light when things are normal. I do have a tender purchased from the local Harley shop.

They'll settle into a solid green light when it's fully charged. It'll flash slowly while it's charging.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

Replace fuse cause that is cheap and easy. I have had fuses blow not in the center where you could see it before, rare but it happens. Maybe the wires are reversed? Have you used the pigtail for anything else?
Although, if I remember right there is a certain colored light, or flash pattern that means things are reversed.

Trending Topics

Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
They'll settle into a solid green light when it's fully charged. It'll flash slowly while it's charging.
You are correct, I had to go out and check. Should have done so before posting..

Old 03-16-2015, 10:50 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a BTjr also, and it works great. When plugged into the wall, but not the bike, it will flash red. When you first plug the bike into it, it will go solid red while charging, then flashing green when it gets to 80%. At full charge/float mode, it will be solid green. If you're getting anything other than that, it could be a bad Tender. I've never seen mine flash red and green when plugged in.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:54 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by backplay
You are correct, I had to go out and check. Should have done so before posting..
Glad that's all it was !

Quick Reply: Battery tender question