Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:06 AM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 106 Posts

Had similar issue this winter and found the fuse in pigtail had blown after checking on bike only to see that battery was almost dead. Fuse replaced and all good again. Too bad you had to buy a new battery. Do you know if the old one is done?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:30 PM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got the BT Jr too and it seems to work fine.I even charged my little run about scooter battery with it and it charged up fine.The only thing about the Jr is that it takes a longer time to charge as opposed to the bigger version.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:16 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FUJILICIOUS
Had similar issue this winter and found the fuse in pigtail had blown after checking on bike only to see that battery was almost dead. Fuse replaced and all good again. Too bad you had to buy a new battery. Do you know if the old one is done?
No, I just figured it was dead and recycled it. I'm going to try the fuse first, then get another tender if needed.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FUJILICIOUS

I thought it was just my imagination, I had the same thing happen, the Battery Tender green LED will apparently stay solid green when the inline fuse blows leading you to believe the battery is good to go...giving no indication of a problem.

Now I'll periodically put a volt meter across the pigtail terminals to confirm the fuse is still intact. Smart Charger?? It can't even tell if the circuit is complete.

Tech23

Old 03-17-2015, 04:27 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I put a junior on all my batteries that aren't continuously used such as the boat, bike, tractor, etc. Never had an issue and batteries will last much longer always keeping a charge.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:36 AM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, replaced the fuse in the pigtail last night and now I'm seeing flashing green. So I guess that fixed it....thanks!

Old 03-18-2015, 08:58 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 484 Posts

Waste of money. I'm still using my stock battery after six years (thought something had gone wrong with it sometime last year and bought a new battery - which turned out to be garbage - then later found out the stock battery was still good so put it back in the bike and still using it).

If the bike has sat for longer than a couple weeks (doesn't happen too often but does happen with me and my bike), I simply hook it up to a charger overnight. I'd do the same thing if it was to sit for months at a time...just put it on a charger overnight.

If the battery keeps going low, then there's an electrical problem on the bike itself draining it constantly.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:57 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech23
I thought it was just my imagination, I had the same thing happen, the Battery Tender green LED will apparently stay solid green when the inline fuse blows leading you to believe the battery is good to go...giving no indication of a problem.

Now I'll periodically put a volt meter across the pigtail terminals to confirm the fuse is still intact. Smart Charger?? It can't even tell if the circuit is complete.

Tech23

This post puzzles me and I have to respectfully disagree. If you unplug the pig tail, it interrupts the circuit...the same as a blown fuse. When you do so, the light turns from steady green to a flashing red. My tenders are all regular size, not the jr's. You can even plug in half the pigtail at a time (to simulate the fuse is on only one side of the circuit) and the light still turns from green to a flashing red.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:00 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
Waste of money. I'm still using my stock battery after six years (thought something had gone wrong with it sometime last year and bought a new battery - which turned out to be garbage - then later found out the stock battery was still good so put it back in the bike and still using it).

If the bike has sat for longer than a couple weeks (doesn't happen too often but does happen with me and my bike), I simply hook it up to a charger overnight. I'd do the same thing if it was to sit for months at a time...just put it on a charger overnight.

If the battery keeps going low, then there's an electrical problem on the bike itself draining it constantly.
There's been many posts in the past on this forum about the problem of Harley's security system drawing down batteries when bikes are parked for more than just a few days.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I am reading this thread correctly. Most of you guys using the BT jr leave them plugged in continuously during non riding months. I left my BT jr plugged in all winter and all seems to be OK.

Quick Reply: Battery tender question