General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block fob signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015 | 04:18 PM
GARY DYER
|
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
How hard is it to remember a 5 digit code that you should have changed when you bought the bike. I leave my fob at home all the time. It takes 10 seconds of my time to use the override and start the bike. I never keep my ignition lock key with the fob.
That does make sense about not keeping the ignition key with the FOB - I'll make that change now. I hate to have to carry 2 separate key chains, but............

Using the override code once is OK, but if I loose the FOB toward the beginning of the trip I'd sure hate to have to keep putting the code in every single time I stop for the next 14 days = what a PITA that would be.

Me and that code system don't get along to well anyway. Why couldn't Harley have made it simpler - push one button then enter 5 or 6 digits = done.......instead of pushing one button/turn ignition off and on/push another button down/turn button on the other side up then down/say 5 hail Marys/push button on the other side twice etc. etc.
So much easier having a second set of keys/FOB.

Old 03-16-2015 | 07:08 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

I think HDs security system has kept more owners from riding their bikes than thieves; )

Old 03-17-2015 | 07:45 AM
GARY DYER
|
Elite HDF Member

I bet you're right.

Old 03-17-2015 | 08:18 AM
SSI Dog
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Answer is simple and may have already come up.

Open the fob and turn the battery over. Close the fob and put it on your saddlebag or where ever you want to store it. When you need it, reverse the process.
X2. This is what I do.

Old 03-17-2015 | 12:47 PM
HDogg
Road Master

It's never a good idea to keep your spare fob on the bike no matter how carefully you're gonna hide it.Maybe you could carry a pouch or something and keep it there.

Old 03-18-2015 | 04:47 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDogg
It's never a good idea to keep your spare fob on the bike no matter how carefully you're gonna hide it.Maybe you could carry a pouch or something and keep it there.
If you hide it with the battery polarity reversed, that bike aint gonna start. If somebody wants to take the time to search a bike for the fob, diagnose why it doesn't work, have the idea that the battery is flipped, open the case and turn it over; that was your day to lose a motorcycle.

Is everybody here this careful about cholesterol, diet and exercise?

Old 03-18-2015 | 07:58 AM
GARY DYER
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
If you hide it with the battery polarity reversed, that bike aint gonna start. If somebody wants to take the time to search a bike for the fob, diagnose why it doesn't work, have the idea that the battery is flipped, open the case and turn it over; that was your day to lose a motorcycle.

Is everybody here this careful about cholesterol, diet and exercise?
I am since the doc said I have Type 2 diabetes.

Don't keep the battery in the FOB - keep it in your wallet or some other place........and also keep the keys separate from the FOB.

Old 03-18-2015 | 09:23 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

My extra fob and key are kept in my luggage that fits nicely into my tour-pak. That's the bag that I always take on road trips. I had always wrapped the fob in tin foil and placed it into and EZ Pass bag to block the signal. As many have suggested, I guess it might be easier to just put the battery in upside down. I'll have to give that a try. I felt that if I lost my fob and keys I could use the over ride code to start the bike and get back to the hotel room to pickup the spare fob and key. I wouldn't want to use the code everytime I needed to start the bike. I've been lucky so far, I haven't lost the fob / keys yet.

Old 03-18-2015 | 09:36 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

The other benefit to reversing the battery is that you don't run the risk of it being low or dead completely when you need it.

Old 03-19-2015 | 11:58 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer

I have one laced up in the top of my boot laces or run the ring through the finger pulls on the top of my slipon boots, which lets face it, pesonally I only have two pair of boots I ride wearing when riding

Quick Reply: Block fob signals