General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block fob signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015 | 09:10 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

Wrap in mu metal. Blocks all rf.

Old 03-15-2015 | 09:26 AM
High Roller
Cruiser

Keep your spare fob in a safe place at home, and just carry a spare battery. Or, just use the code entry procedure if the fob ever stops working. That's what it's for.

Old 03-15-2015 | 09:29 AM
GARY DYER
|
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

DUH!!! I didn't think about the battery. Memorizing the code doesn't help with the keys for the disk locks(2) and the brake lever lock or the steering lock that are also on the key chain.

In over 25 years I've never had anyone break into my tour pack so I'm not worried about someone finding the FOB/keys. If the battery is in my wallet, the FOB won't help the thief.
Putting a piece of paper between the battery won't keep the thief from stealing the bike....he'll just remove it.

I have rode off without my FOB once before near home - not going to take a chance and doing it again - especially if I'm in the middle of nowhere.

I will take the battery out = problem solved - thanks everyone.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 03-16-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2015 | 10:20 AM
cass
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HardRider1
I would if I was even thinking about keeping a fob on the bike would just take the battery out or put a piece of paper between the fob contact and the battery to be removed for use. But like others have said familiarize yourself with the use of the access code in the event you do lose or your fob dies. They say it's a good idea to carry a spare battery just in case.
good call.....didn't think about the paper between the battery. but i think the code overide would be an easier option.

Old 03-15-2015 | 11:02 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member

not to derail the thread, but I'd write the bypass code on a piece of tape and put it inside the fairing, with a set of keys. I have changed my fairing hardware to 1/4-20 SS Phillips heads, and I have the windshield trim which uses phillips hardware.

In a pinch you should be able to find a phillips screwdriver, or put a multi-tool in your pocket.

Nobody is going to go tearing your fairing off looking for hidden keys zip tied to the wiring harness somewhere..
if someone gets in the tourpack, or rips off the bags which is not unheard of, they will have your keys, and that gives them the opportunity to roll it onto a trailer or ramp truck

Old 03-15-2015 | 11:17 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master

I don't keep the spare key/fob stored on my bike but I do keep it stored in my luggage when touring. I put a piece of thin cardboard between the battery and contacts as well for when my bags are on the bike.

I have the card in my wallet but I also created a note on my smart phone with the bypass procedures. It came in handy when I made a quick trip to the gas station and left my fob on the work bench in the garage at home. The bike started OK at home but didn't at the gas station since the fob was at home.

Old 03-15-2015 | 01:28 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
If the battery is in my wallet, the FOB won't help the thief.
yeah, cause a spare 2032 fob battery will take up so much room in a thief's took kit. hell, he might even have one in a fob that he carries, it's a very common battery.

my .02, if you want to carry a spare key ring with those extra keys, cool. but leave the second fob at home, and just use the override code until you get there.

Old 03-15-2015 | 01:35 PM
High Roller
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
not to derail the thread, but I'd write the bypass code on a piece of tape and put it inside the fairing, with a set of keys. I have changed my fairing hardware to 1/4-20 SS Phillips heads, and I have the windshield trim which uses phillips hardware.

In a pinch you should be able to find a phillips screwdriver, or put a multi-tool in your pocket.

Nobody is going to go tearing your fairing off looking for hidden keys zip tied to the wiring harness somewhere..
They will, now that you've provided the location of your code and spare keys to the entire world on a public forum. You even informed us of exactly what tools to bring to get at them.

Old 03-15-2015 | 02:11 PM
Colorido
Road Master

Originally Posted by High Roller
They will, now that you've provided the location of your code and spare keys to the entire world on a public forum. You even informed us of exactly what tools to bring to get at them.

Right?

With the advent of the interwebz, common sense was left in the 20th century.

Old 03-16-2015 | 08:09 AM
GARY DYER
|
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by High Roller
They don't know who or where he is. How many millions of Harleys are out there with fairings? I don't think a thief is going to take the time to remove a fairing just to see "IF" there are keys there. What are the odds??

Skratch, you're talking about a pro. If a pro wants your bike - nothing is going to stop him. What we're talking about here is stopping the average street punk looking for an EASY target and I doubt they are all carrying batteries.

I'm not that worried about some street punk stealing my bike with all the locks I have on it and besides I have a triglide so not too many thieves want a TG. Of course now they are becoming very popular so who knows.

Quick Reply: Block fob signals