Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes or No? Should Harley produce a V-Rod touring bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 02:28 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes or No? Should Harley produce a V-Rod touring bike?

OK, let's hear it. Do you like the idea of Harley producing a V-Rod touring model? Would you buy one? Do you think it would help with the lagging sales of V-Rods? Please be specific.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Yes or No? Should Harley produce a V-Rod touring bike?

ORIGINAL: solorider

OK, let's hear it. Do you like the idea of Harley producing a V-Rod touring model? Would you buy one? Do you think it would help with the lagging sales of V-Rods? Please be specific.
hmmm..

Possibility 1: Sure, I think they could do it with a few adjustments to the frame design and I think it should have a "new" look but still ratain the trademarks that make it a Harley... It would certainly be quite a design challenge to pull off a full blown tour model such as a roadking or electraglide style of "bagger" bike.. Some modern curvier flair like the current v-rod but with definite touring niceties.. permanant hardbags, possibly a fairing, full passing lights upfront, possibly a tour pack, fatter tire upfront, etc..

It would certainly be a gamble to unleash such a bike, but so was the V-Rod itself.

Possibility 2: The total alternative would be to do what a few folks have said and find a way to offer the current tour bikes with the OPTION of engines, either TC88 or Revolution and water cooled. That would be something.. The two options could appear very similar but they would have to have frame and electrical differences to accomodate two completely different drivetrains.

Possibility 3: Take the current V-Rod platform and offer a bike that's already "toured" up with all the accessories.. saddlebags, touring seat, windshield, etc... That would be easiest to feel out the market for a Revolution engine based tourbike. Probably 8 out of 10 V-Rods I've seen are being ridden by old guys with saddlebags and windsheilds.. A smooth engine is a smooth engine.. period.. and definitely a cooler alternative to the straight up sitting position and stigma of a 'goldwing' yikes.

If you're reading Harley Davidson.. I can be hired for very inexpensively for marketing analysis or design quality engineering.. hehe

As the guy in new avatar picture would say. Rightious!! Shaaaah Duuuude!

Oh.. But I didn't really answer your question.. Would I like or buy a tour model V-Rod. No but because to me personally, the original anodized V-Rod hotrod style of musclecruiser is kind of unchangeable.. I'd rather just have the standard V-Rod.. It's to me an extremely fast, sleek, modern barhopper. with a hint of streetlegal dragsterisms to the styling. When I think of a fatboy or a roadking.. I think of a big slow comfy profiling classic heavy cruiser beebopping up the parkway. My image of the V-Rod is that original commercial of the guy in the salt flats hauling a$% up the road in a long straight line, looking for a speeding ticket.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think it would be a good idea. It seems to be a different concept than what it was desigend for. I think if someone wants a touring type of bike, they would have an Electra Glide, Street Glide or Road King type of bike. Comfort wise I don't think they would work , although I have never been on one. If H.D is looking for advice, try building an inexpensive chopper line out of the sinking Dyna models and a Trike for those older folk who can no longer handle a bike with weight.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up Babs - I agree - I also love the concept of making the VROD engine available in a dresser - I like possibility 2!

Old 09-15-2005, 03:44 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

my local HD dealer had a v-rod which they had added large hard saddle bags and a front upper fairing. i didnt like it at all. i would NOT buy that bike. i would however entertain the option of having the water cooled rev. engine directly bolted into the touring bike itself.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:14 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That would go over like a Ferrari Family Station Wagon.

It would probably be a financial disaster for the Motor Company

Old 09-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: screamn_eagle

my local HD dealer had a v-rod which they had added large hard saddle bags and a front upper fairing. i didnt like it at all. i would NOT buy that bike. i would however entertain the option of having the water cooled rev. engine directly bolted into the touring bike itself.
.. There's a company I saw somewhere that sells a package setup with a Roadglide fairing and bags and boards for the Vrod.. That may be it... "Shoooooooo" was my first reaction as well.

I'm thinking Option 2 might be popular then.. "Looks like a glide, smells like a glide, sounds like a V-Rod"

I say same geometry everywhere that can be made the same.. Same front end, fairing, fenders, lights, everything.. Just with a Rev motor. That would be a NICE all-day-long smoooooth bike.. Might have to tweak the gearing a little to be a little more torque-ier, but that's a whole other subject.

Thanks Kess. [sm=icon_blah.gif] I excel in expounding and pontificating.. ie. Running my yap to excess! hehehe

Old 09-15-2005, 04:42 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HD should put the Revolution engine on a Dyna Wide Glide frame with mini apes and a raked front and call it a V-Glide. That sucker would be scarry fast. In fact, I'm calling Willie G right now....... tap... tap, tap, tap... tap, tap, tap... tap, tap, tap, tap..... ring, ring, ring, ring.......

Crap, I got his voice mail.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:33 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

Here is the company that makes the accesories to turn the V-Rod into a Road Glide type bike, they call it a Road Rod. Personally I like the looks of it but don't know how comfortable it would be.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:11 PM
cmbucky
Cruiser

Nice link. It looks pretty good with the custom paint. But would be a leap of faith to put $$ on it.
I had the same thought about a touring v-rod the other day. What if...?

Quick Reply: Yes or No? Should Harley produce a V-Rod touring bike?