General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice / Help to Get Back in the Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need Advice / Help to Get Back in the Saddle

I've been hesitant to post, as I feel like a pu$$y, but here we go. I was in a bad wreck just before Thanksgiving, and I have not ridden since. Bike was totaled out. Here's my post about the crash:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ok-me-out.html

Every time I see someone out on a bike, my first thought is "Damn! I need to get riding again." Next thought is usually a vision of me or them going down. Pisses me off every time.

Been riding for over 30 years - was plowed down by a van when I was 20 years old and was riding the next week. That was it until this one.

I had my bike set up perfectly - was truly one with it. I heard someone say that "When you are one with your bike, you feel like you are flying." That's what I had with the Limited.

Need advice. I miss riding like I can't believe, but my stupid brain is messing with me.

I am actually still sore in a few spots and still picking some sand out as it works its way through my flesh. Definitely physically ready to ride I think.

Just do it and stop acting like a beatch???

Old 02-28-2015, 08:22 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

You already know the answer.

GM

Old 02-28-2015, 08:32 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Start with a short ride to the store. Then take the long way home form the store. repeat as needed til you are using a map to plot gas stops along your next ride.

Being a movie dork, figure I can steal some inspirational words
"You know, if you're gonna learn to swim you just gotta jump in the water" Flight of the Navigator

Old 02-28-2015, 08:34 PM
wxmcpo
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 39 Posts

Only you truly know what's right for you. I can't imagine how I would be feeling if I survived what you did. I'm sure I would be going through some of the same emotions you are with wanting get back in the saddle, but hesitant because what if......

Since I am married I would talk it over with my wife as I believe she should have a part in the decision whether to ride again or not. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:47 PM
tomato
Tourer

My wife is supportive of whatever I decide - I'm lucky. She cracked me up, though. Said we just need to make sure our life insurance policies are in order just in case. I will be very hesitant to ride her or my son for quite a while - she did not like that. If I get a replacement, she wants to ride...That's why we got the Limited in the first place.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:58 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

After reading the title, I was wonder what kind of horse you had.

Never mind...

Old 02-28-2015, 09:09 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I know exactly what you mean. I had a wreck in July that put me in ICU for nine days, rehab for three weeks, and my parents' house for six months while I recovered. It may be different for you - I don't even remember my crash - but that first ride once I was able to move out was the sweetest moment of my life. What I'd recommend is, just take a ride and see how it feels. It won't be the same as your old bike, but if you still want to ride, you'll know, no question.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 393 Likes on 260 Posts

First off, give yourself a friggin' break. Having gone through what you did would give anyone pause. Hardly makes you a be-atch or a pu$$. I agree with earlier post to perhaps take a short putt to "dip the toe" as it were. See how it feels and go from there. Don't force it nor put yourself in a position where your head isn't right because we all know that is not a good place to be in when on a bike. You'll know when/if it's right.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:38 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
After reading the title, I was wonder what kind of horse you had.

Never mind...
Funny you mention that, COaC. I've never been thrown from an iron horse but I have been tossed by a couple of carbon unit ones in the past. You dust yourself off and you get back on.

tomato, I hope you can beat the psychological barrier. You have a supportive wife which helps tremendously. BTW, having a good life insurance policy is smart family business whether you ride or not.

Now go out and get yourself another Ultra Limited Low. That's what you want.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:38 PM
tomato
Tourer

Thanks, guys. I have a great relationship with my dealer, and they'll flip me the keys to a bike to do just that. Before I make the buy. Just wasn't sure if it's a matter of kicking myself in the a$$ to get my mind right or just waiting longer.

Quick Reply: Need Advice / Help to Get Back in the Saddle