General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice / Help to Get Back in the Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:35 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by tomato
Great stories and advice from all - thank you! I had been to my dealer a few times and even had them draw up "the deal" a couple of months ago - so I would know what the numbers were. They obviously took care of me, as this would be the second Limited within 6-months for God's sake, and the 5th bike I would buy from them in the past 15 years - one was my son's dirtbike from their Yamaha store...

Went down there today and finally asked for some keys. Took out a used Street Glide for about an hour. Was surprised I wasn't crazy "stiff," and actually got "it back" rather quickly. Took some side streets, country roads and Highway 99 for a bit. All felt great.

Definitely seemed to have a "Spider Sense" about me, but nothing that would make me not want to ride. Amazingly, they just got a Limited Low in last week - still in the box. Will think it over this week, but it sure looks like I will pull the trigger.

On the odd side, I actually had a few cringing moments when I got back in my truck and drove home. Not sure I'll be able to take a bike on the road where the accident happened, but all feels good otherwise.

Thanks again!!!

Almost forgot - stopped at a large parking area and ran some low speed drills. Felt great and glad I wasn't stiff. I think I will take a course, though. All will help.
tomato you posted this Sunday here it is Tuesday what is going on?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:10 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hats off to all that have gotten back on! Thumper09 - Damn, brother! Helluva story. Glad you are with us and riding!

I have been trying to wait top post good news, but this has actually turned into a damn fight with my wife. Seems she has waffled on me, and now she isn't ready for me to get back in the saddle. We are going to try and talk tonight, but I definitely want her support, as it would help confirm my decision. She was all good until I decided I was ready, then bam. Not sure exactly what is in her head.

Hate to say it, but I know part of it is the $ - that pi$$e$ me off. We could have $100 million in the bank, and she would still worry about buying a bike. I'm grateful she is so thrifty, most of the time...

I know she is worried about my safety, but money is still part of it. It shouldn't be, as we are actually in better financial shape now than when I first bought the original bike.

Any advice on how to now get her back on my side? Like I thought she already was??? One quote from her "I don't ever want to get that call..." Says she didn't start thinking that day could have been the last day she saw me until now...

Old 03-03-2015, 09:54 PM
MajorKG
Stellar HDF Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Tomato, you are a good man, talking it out will be beneficial, as I told my wife the day I wrecked, "I am not going to let a mistake define my life or control my life, it may take a bit, but I am getting another bike." She was hopping mad, but when she settled down she understood my feelings...but she also knows me well enough to know tat if weren't bikes, it would be something else, she got over the plane, I guess thankful I don't jump out of them...yet!