Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enlighten me on Willie G.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Enlighten me on Willie G.

In another thread now running on this board, several members express some mild displeasure with Willie G. Davidson. What's the deal?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:10 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Enlighten me on Willie G.

Don't know of the thread you speak of, but I've met Willie G. and he's a very approachable, down-to-earth type of guy. He has a passion for motorcycles and especially for keeping the traditions of early and mid-1900'sstyling alive with his designs. Some may see that as a lack of innovation, but it sure seems to be working for the profit margin.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Jake88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ANybody that has a problem with Wilie G has a problem with me and Harley! What about the Super GLide, the Low Rider, the Wide Glide, the Fatboy, the Road GLide, and every other bike that is on the road today. He has done a lot, and I thank him for that!

Old 04-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer

Wassup here..... what'd I miss

Old 04-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 8,411 Likes on 4,350 Posts

It's easy to take a shot at a guy who is at the top of the org. chart, if he isn't seen to be Mr. Perfect Leader by folks. HD is a huge and complex company with competitors/gov't. agencies/Wall Street/the Al Gores/et al yapping about hundreds of issues. He's gotta be one strong guy to keep the faith against all the yappers. I'm fine with the balancing act and performance... but, he still oughta get me, or maybe someone like Grunt appointed to the Board of Directors!! It's all about the product, Man!!

Old 04-20-2007, 06:03 PM
kfmorris
Road Captain

I have not read anything that would support that.
Mind you, You cant keep everyone happy.
He's all about Harley...so you cant beat that....

Old 04-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy has alot of credibility behind him, whether you like him or not, he's done a lot for Harley Davidson. Here's an article that gives you some background:

For those who don't know William G. Davidson is the Vice President of Styling at the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. He's also the head of the new Willie G. Davidson Product Development Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
As Vice President of Styling William G. "Willie G." Davidson guides the design of all Harley-Davidson motorcycles. For nearly 40 years Willie G. has been responsible for successfully creating the distinctive look of all Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
Willie G. is the son of former Harley-Davidson president, William H. Davidson and the grandson of one of the original founders, William A. Davidson. Each of his three children, Karen, Bill and Michael, take active roles within the Company.
One of Willie G's early and most notable designs, the classic Super Glide, was introduced in 1971. Following this success Willie G. and his design team developed a family of "custom" motorcycles, including the Lowrider, Café Racer, Heritage Softail, Fat Boy and Road King.
A Wisconsin native, Willie G. attended the University of Wisconsin for three years before transferring to and graduating from the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles. Prior to joining the Company in 1963 Willie G. worked for over five years with Brook Stevens Associates, designing products ranging from furniture to outboard motors.
Willie G. was one of 13 executives who raised more than $75 million to purchase Harley-Davidson from American Machine and Foundry Incorporated (AMF) in 1981. He was one of the company's owners during Harley-Davidson's period of private ownership from 1981-1986.
Willie G. is an avid rider and has helped raise million of dollars for the Muscular Dystrophy Association and other national charities through his participation in motorcycle events. His artistic vision and generous dedication to the sport of motorcycling at these and other motorcycle rallies has made him a legend among motorcycle enthusiasts. In 2000 he was inducted into the American Motorcycle Association Hall of Fame. He was also inducted into the Sturgis Hall of Fame in 1993.
I caught up with Willie briefly at the Los Angeles Road Tour location and asked him a couple of question about the design center, custom bikes and the future. Enjoy.

Bandit: The last time I was in Milwaukee, in '97, you were just opening the design center. How's it going?
Willie: We are in the midst of a major addition. It was the necessary step to growth, putting everyone under one roof. We're adding more office space and test space.

Bandit: Do you function constantly in design or do you delve into the engineering aspects?
Willie: Mainly industrial design is our area of expertise. We have engineers in our design center because we must work in sinc with them. A motorcycle is function and beauty, the way it looks and works must come together. There's a way to building form to enhance function.
We can't do this sort of thing locked up in a room. We have to get out into the streets and feel the rhythm and see what others are experiencing, so we ride and attend events.
Bandit: How's the balancing act between tradition looks, new school designs and metric cruises designs.
Willie: You have to pay attention to the market and be sensitive to the air-cooled motorcycle which is our bread and butter. As volume increases and you want to continue your success you must broaden somehow to appeal to different riders whether in Europe or performance riders here such as the V-rod. It's an addition to the product line not a replacement. We're excited about it, but it won't replace any of the air-cooled line.
It's a balancing act. That's exactly what we're doing.

[IMG]h

Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Good post, Sam.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:11 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice post there! That should put any questions to rest

Old 04-20-2007, 09:16 PM
IdaSpudSG
Outstanding HDF Member

I first met Willie G. in Sturgis in 1991. Started talking with him and he saw my HOG patch and knew exactly where I was from and how far I had ridden to get to Sturgis. He and his wife most graciously agreed to and took many pictures on my bike and with me. What and all around nice guy and couple, would have to go along way to find a better person.

Quick Reply: Enlighten me on Willie G.