General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I were to....what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015 | 06:19 PM
WRE4U
|
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Default If I were to....what would you do?

A Hypothetical Question?
If you were to move from the east coast of the USA or anywhere in in the US to a foreign country or the Caribbean, or to Hawaii, and you most definitely needed to include your Harley in the move, what would you do? Knowing it will need special care on an overseas transport. Have you done it? Was it worth it? What was the cost? Any problems? What should I watch out for? Insurance costs? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 02-25-2015 | 06:52 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

First of all id look long and hard at buying another bike were you are moving.I see you have a trike.Maybe you cant find one easily were you are moving but its got to cost a bit more to ship yours (3 wheels) as opposed to 2?

Last edited by riteway; 02-25-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2015 | 07:35 PM
kevinckb3
Advanced

I brought my old bike back from Hawaii , I found a companywith an enclosed transport ship . It was 550 plus 100 for them to crate and use their crating . I had Geico at the time and I made sure I was covered by them , however the bike was insured by the shipping company too. Them insuring it was worth the 100 crate charge to me . I picked the bike up at their yard in san diego , scratch free but a little dusty. I would do it again . The company was Pasha and this was Jan 14 when I shipped the bike

Old 02-26-2015 | 09:21 AM
Mars47
Road Captain

I'd pay the cost if I was for sure moving there.

Mostly all for sentimental reasons.

Old 02-26-2015 | 09:33 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

The only issue I can think of would be whether or not my vehicle would meet the applicable equipment laws to register it in another country. Making a vehicle compliant can run into serious money, not to mention the bureaucratic maze you might have to negotiate.

Old 02-26-2015 | 09:31 PM
Recycled
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
The only issue I can think of would be whether or not my vehicle would meet the applicable equipment laws to register it in another country. Making a vehicle compliant can run into serious money, not to mention the bureaucratic maze you might have to negotiate.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Compliance regulations of the destination country could require a speedometer change, lighting requirements, emission standards specific to that country, etc. Could get much more involved than just these examples and be very expensive. OPs best bet is to contact the proper authorities and get educated before doing anything. All the info you need can probably be found on-line from the country you are importing to.
That's just to get you started. You will then need to find out about licensing fees and any applicable taxes too. Every country will differ in their requirements.

Old 02-26-2015 | 11:38 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Another thing--make sure the country you are moving to has a dealership nearby--it would suck to send your motor overseas for a rebuild.

One of the reasons I am considering retiring to Costa Rica. And, you can drive there from the US.

Old 02-27-2015 | 12:47 AM
Str8chuter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kevinckb3
I brought my old bike back from Hawaii , I found a companywith an enclosed transport ship . It was 550 plus 100 for them to crate and use their crating . I had Geico at the time and I made sure I was covered by them , however the bike was insured by the shipping company too. Them insuring it was worth the 100 crate charge to me . I picked the bike up at their yard in san diego , scratch free but a little dusty. I would do it again . The company was Pasha and this was Jan 14 when I shipped the bike
I didn't ship a Motorcycle from the Mainland, but I did ship my Jeep Rubicon JK to Maui from San Diego also via Pasha at a cost of $1070 and one of the first things I did on arriving on Maui was to buy a new 2010 Suzuki s40 650cc thumper that I rode for about a year before selling it and buying my 2009 Sportster 883.

It sounds like you lived in Hawaii for some time, if so, you already know the down side of Hawaii, If not, before moving to Hawaii, be advised that the cost of living is the highest of the 50 states, there are no 2nd amendment rights (no concealed carry permits issued) and it is the ultimate Nanny State, the entire legislature has only a hand full of Republican members. Bottom Line, for all practical purposes, Hawaii is in reality a Third World Country that happens to use U.S currency and postage. If you're looking for a warm climate with beautiful beaches and people save your money and move to South Florida. I lived in Fort Lauderdale for 22 years prior to retiring to Maui in January of 2011. The only reason I'm still here is that my wife loves Maui and I would never leave my wife.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 02-27-2015 at 01:06 AM. Reason: addl info and clarity
Old 02-27-2015 | 04:23 PM
WRE4U
|
Road Master
Veteran: Navy

Thanks for the responses guys! Just thinking!

Old 02-27-2015 | 06:37 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master

I like my bike, but I would just sell it and buy a new one.

Quick Reply: If I were to....what would you do?