General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I were to....what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015 | 06:47 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't worry about shipping your bike, container ships are safe.

Old 02-27-2015 | 07:28 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Last year I ran into two guys from Germany on BMWs with European plates. I only spoke to them briefly. They said they had their bikes air shipped to the east coast and when I met them on the west coast, they and ridden across the continent and had planned on air shipping their bikes back to Germany. So I know there exists air shipping of motorcycles. I don't know any more about it but it does exist.

Old 02-27-2015 | 07:52 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kevinckb3
I brought my old bike back from Hawaii , I found a companywith an enclosed transport ship . It was 550 plus 100 for them to crate and use their crating . I had Geico at the time and I made sure I was covered by them , however the bike was insured by the shipping company too. Them insuring it was worth the 100 crate charge to me . I picked the bike up at their yard in san diego , scratch free but a little dusty. I would do it again . The company was Pasha and this was Jan 14 when I shipped the bike
Which Island were you living on? The current price for a round trip from Maui to San Diego and return to Maui via Pasha is $950. The reason I know this is that I plan to do that in either 2016 or 2017, of course the shipping cost could change dramatically by than... we'll see I guess. I've been on Maui with my wife for four years and other than our annual trip to the Mainland to see friends and family I am tired of riding in circles. I'm more than ready for a thousand mile ride.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 02-28-2015 | 09:12 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Str8chuter
I've been on Maui with my wife for four years and other than our annual trip to the Mainland to see friends and family I am tired of riding in circles. I'm more than ready for a thousand mile ride.

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's
I've got family who live on Maui so I visit occasionally. I love the island, the weather, the laid back life. The only reason I can't live there though is the lack of roads to ride. I like doing several 1000+ mile rides each year, plus most Sundays my buddies and I ride 100-200 miles. I'd also go crazy riding in circles.

I did see something that disturbed me though about those who ride on Maui. I can't count the number of riders I saw who ride wearing flip flops. Some of them might be tourists. But I saw two guys on customized Harleys when I was there a couple of months ago. Both were wearing tank tops, shorts (no helmets, gloves, etc), and one was wearing flip flops, and the other was wearing tennis shoes. Made me cringe.

And nice quote by The Baal Shem Tov. I totally agree with that approach to life. Riding is one way that helps to to live in joy.