General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

model comparison? (Heritage/Street Glide/Road King)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015 | 08:36 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

This is almost like asking what color bike to buy.

You really need to test ride each. I am not talking a five minute ride around the block.

The Heritage is more for in town but is also good for road trips. The Road King is more for road trips and is also good for in town.

Everybody and their brother is buying street glides right now since that apparently is the In thing. That means prices on them are somewhat inflated.

Street Glides are lower from the factory which means less suspension travel. Why would anyone want less suspension travel? If the bike seems too tall, a lower seat seems like a smarter idea. I guess I just don't get it.

I ride a 95 Heritage. I can't imagine riding anything else, at least in this part of my life.

Old 02-22-2015 | 09:19 AM
bbuckis
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RichardWalter
I will get some road time on each.
Best thing to do.

Old 02-22-2015 | 09:42 AM
Triple M
Tourer

I owned a Heritage and I loved the look and the ride. I learned after a while how to make the curves without dragging the floorboards. I was looking to trade for SG but because I am short it was a little taller. I had test drove a RK and learned the tour bikes are smooth. Finally I traded for a Softail CVO. This was the first bike that I owned that had cruise control. That would be a good reason to get a tour bike.

Old 02-22-2015 | 09:59 AM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I also want to add that on my Heritage, I started with factory shocks, switched to progressive 422, replaced them with another set of progressive 422, then switched to Works Performance light duty.

The works performance improved the ride tremendously and I no longer drag the floorboards.

Old 02-22-2015 | 10:49 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member

IMHO, keep the Standard for cruising around town and get yourself an Electra Glide Ultra Classic.

Everything you could want in a touring bike and all the goodies that you get with a SG. Plus with a removable tour pack you can get the SG look if that's what you want. I have seen a lot of folks go with the SG and then spend a lot of money getting it set up for long tours.

Get it all to start with

Old 02-22-2015 | 12:39 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

I rented a Road King for a day and really liked the ride and decided it was the way to go.
Then a used Heritage caught my eye and the dealer let me take it for an hour ride.

I came back and bought the Heritage that day and don't regret it.

I think if I was going to be taking 3+ hour rides more than 50% of the time I'd have to lean toward the Road King but I can't imagine there's a better bike than the Heritage for everyday riding with the occasional long trip.

Yes, cruise is nice and tight cornering is limited by the bike's low profile.
But the low profile is what I like about it.
As for tunes; any bike can be outfitted with tunes.

In the end though it's really what you feel most comfortable with.

BTW- I like the look of the Street Glide but I've never rode one so I can't render an opinion.

Last edited by Bluraven; 02-22-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2015 | 12:46 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LiiT
IMHO, keep the Standard for cruising around town and get yourself an Electra Glide Ultra Classic.

Everything you could want in a touring bike and all the goodies that you get with a SG. Plus with a removable tour pack you can get the SG look if that's what you want. I have seen a lot of folks go with the SG and then spend a lot of money getting it set up for long tours.

Get it all to start with
Ditto

Attached Thumbnails model comparison? (Heritage/Street Glide/Road King)-009.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015 | 12:57 PM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by LiiT
IMHO, keep the Standard for cruising around town
What Standard should the OP keep? He doesn't have a bike at all. I am confused.

Old 02-22-2015 | 01:34 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Another vote for the Road King. And here is something to think about. Not only can you remove the windshield for cruising around town. But you can also add an aftermarket batwing, with tunes, for those times when you want music. And it's just as easy to put on and take off as the original windshield.

The Road King is the bike that everyone else copies. Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Honda all make bikes that mimic the mighty Road King, at least in appearance. Must be something there.

Old 02-22-2015 | 01:38 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
What Standard should the OP keep? He doesn't have a bike at all. I am confused.

My bad. I thought I read it as already having a standard and looking to add a touring bike.

I gotta get some new glasses...

Quick Reply: model comparison? (Heritage/Street Glide/Road King)