General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever gotten the factory involved in a warranty dispute?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:33 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ever gotten the factory involved in a warranty dispute?

I'm curious if anyone has had success in getting the factory involved when a dealer denies a warranty claim? Did they even answer your letter?

I'm going through this right now & wonder how it turned out for you?

Thanks

Old 02-20-2015, 11:15 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would a dealer deny a warranty claim that the factory would deem legitimate? Dealers get paid for all the warranty work they provide so long as the claim is within parameters.

Chances are, if the dealer denied the claim, they are doing so because they believe MOCO would deny it as well and not authorize their compensation.

If the MOCO gets involved and says it's legitimate, it will be time to find a new dealer to take your business to.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:43 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Whats the dispute over, if i may?

Old 02-21-2015, 04:36 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
I'm curious if anyone has had success in getting the factory involved when a dealer denies a warranty claim? Did they even answer your letter?

I'm going through this right now & wonder how it turned out for you?

Thanks
Here is the number for customer service(414) 343-4056 I would think interaction with an actual person will get you quicker results.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:19 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I've been dealing with HD Canada for 3 yrs

over rust issues. My paint started to bubble after 2 yrs riding. I waited for them to 'do the right thing' but that never happened. Now I'm replacing both fenders. I'm told that the front and rear fenders aren't painted at the same location or at the same time. Anyone ever hear that one?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master

Originally Posted by cdonis
Whats the dispute over, if i may?

In my case it's over a noisy transmission. Three guys at the dealer say it's excessive, but a mechanic test rode it & says it's not. So of course it's not, and they tell me just to deal with it. I wrote a letter to HD hoping they would at least check the probable causes listed in the service manual. The dealer says they're done.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Here is the number for customer service(414) 343-4056 I would think interaction with an actual person will get you quicker results.
Thanks, I will call them. I also wanted to get something in writing as I specifically asked if changing to Redline fluids would cause warranty issues. The dealer said it would void it.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:06 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
Thanks, I will call them. I also wanted to get something in writing as I specifically asked if changing to Redline fluids would cause warranty issues. The dealer said it would void it.
I would take it by an indy and have them take it for a spin. At least youll get a second opinion. If my dealer told me that running redline would void the warranty i would not be back. Rc cycles in hayward is the indy i would trust for a second opinion, since you are in the bay. Im sure there are others but thats my recommendation.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

The only time I got involved with the factory was 20 years ago. I remember the factory rep saying to the dealer "This guy spent $14000 on a Harley & you're trying to Mickey Mouse him about a torn seat? Give him a new seat. Now!"

Old 02-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Unless there's something defective in the transmission there's nothing to fix. You won't find anything in the service manual about noise from the transmission either. Transmissions do in fact make noises. Some are louder than others. That's the nature of gears. But if there's plenty of oil in it, no metal debris, and the linkage is set up right, not much else to do. I'm not on anybody's side here. But the MOCO rarely does anything because of just noise. Something has to be defective for the warranty to apply. Hope you can get taken care of.

Quick Reply: Ever gotten the factory involved in a warranty dispute?