General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever gotten the factory involved in a warranty dispute?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

It's not necessarily the dealer denying the warranty claim, it's the factory denying the claim via the dealer. Often based on the dealer's past experience of doing a warranty repair then not getting reimbursed by the factory after an examination of the parts that were replaced.

However, it is time to get the factory involved in the actual claim. Changing to Redline or any other proper fluid cannot void your warranty unless they can prove that the lubricant was the cause of the failure (if there is one).

Old 02-21-2015, 11:59 AM
2manyhobbies75
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdonis
I would take it by an indy and have them take it for a spin. At least youll get a second opinion. If my dealer told me that running redline would void the warranty i would not be back. Rc cycles in hayward is the indy i would trust for a second opinion, since you are in the bay. Im sure there are others but thats my recommendation.
As long as the Reline meets the manufacturers API or ACEA standards for the lubricants to be used you are covered by the Magnuson-Moss Act. No "Tie-Ins" or manufacturer branded products are required to support the warranty.

If you google that you will find that Harley is one of the worst for this BS

Old 02-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
Unless there's something defective in the transmission there's nothing to fix. You won't find anything in the service manual about noise from the transmission either. Transmissions do in fact make noises. Some are louder than others. That's the nature of gears. But if there's plenty of oil in it, no metal debris, and the linkage is set up right, not much else to do. I'm not on anybody's side here. But the MOCO rarely does anything because of just noise. Something has to be defective for the warranty to apply. Hope you can get taken care of.
When I originally took it in for the noise, the service adviser said there is definitely something wrong. I needed to leave it there because they had to pull the primary. He said he had to write up an authorization for two hours labor as a formality , but not to worry as they all heard the noise and they would make it right.

Five days later it's fine. The SAME guy that wrote it up originally has lost his memory.

The factory service manual lists half a dozen causes for harsh shifting.... primary oil level too high, air in the clutch line, fluid too thick, etc. They checked nothing, just proclaimed is was fine, deal with it. Just an inch of interest in customer service would have gone a long way.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies75
As long as the Reline meets the manufacturers API or ACEA standards for the lubricants to be used you are covered by the Magnuson-Moss Act. No "Tie-Ins" or manufacturer branded products are required to support the warranty.

If you google that you will find that Harley is one of the worst for this BS
I don't want to misquote the dealer, here is what they said...

I asked about Redline lubes, and the service adviser said "personally, for me I use all Harley lubes, because I want my warranty to stay intact".

Now that I think about it that sounds very carefully worded.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,215 Likes on 3,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerscum

I asked about Redline lubes, and the service adviser said "personally, for me I use all Harley lubes, because I want my warranty to stay intact".

The implication being that using other than Harley lubes will void your warranty. As others have said, this is pure bullshit. I'd be running, not walking to another dealer as this one clearly doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground. Hope you get the issue resolved to your satisfaction.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:15 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerscum

I bet if that same tech would have no clue as to what oil he was draining out of most the bikes he touches, before adding the superior syn 3

Old 02-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 523 Likes on 296 Posts

An issue in '03 that was correct immediately by a MoCo rep.
I noticed what appeared to be a perfect hand print under the clear coat of the left saddlebag on my 2 month old Ultra Classic.
Individuals at the dealership where I purchased the bike tried every denial trick in the book.
Just so happened that the MoCo guy was there at the time and casually said that the paint process was all automated and there was no way that happened at the factory, then proceeded to have the dealership order my new saddlebag. Came in and installed the next week.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Triple_Black
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any fluids, parts, or service performed, put on, or removed from the bike, or any vehicle for that matter, that was not done by a licensed dealer for that vehicle opens the door to warranty denial.

In most cases, yes they have to prove the work or parts were the cause to void. But they can prove anything. They don't need to have a panel of expert mechanics verify their reasoning.

When you buy a warranty you are gambling that your vehicle Will breakdown. In most cases, it won't. And if it does, you sure as shirt can bet they will do whatever they can to prove it was an issue not covered by warranty or something they can say voids the warranty (you added this, you removed that.)

Old 02-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master

It's made more confusing by the owners' manual not specifying the trans/primary lube grade or requirement.... just the HD brand name. In contrast, the owners' manual for my car specifies GM #12346190 lubricant or SAE 75W-90 GL-5 gear oil for the manual transmission.

Oh, and as for mandating what fluids you must use, they absolutely do. For engine coolant in big bold letters they tell you you HAVE to use HD engine coolant. You can substitute 50-50 antifreeze in an emergency but as soon as possible you MUST drain it & go back to the HD stuff.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:07 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple_Black
Any fluids, parts, or service performed, put on, or removed from the bike, or any vehicle for that matter, that was not done by a licensed dealer for that vehicle opens the door to warranty denial.
You couldn't be more wrong about that.

Quick Reply: Ever gotten the factory involved in a warranty dispute?