General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:30 AM
blue4774
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Speakers

I'm looking for recommendations for helmet speakers.
I've got a new to me Zumo 550, Harley 3/4 helmet and a Road King.
Prefer not to be hard wired.
Thanks,
Larry

Old 02-20-2015, 05:22 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you use earplugs, you'll find the Sena bluetooth headsets too quiet. I can just about hear that my GPS has said something (and so glance at the screen to see what), but can't hear music over 50mph.

I've just ordered some custom earplugs with earphones built-in, and I've going to try them out with a cheap headphone bluetooth adapter I found on Amazon to see if that's any better/worse.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "Hard Wired". Do you mean not permanently installed in the helmet, wirelessly tethered to your audio device, or both?

If both you should check out Plantronics BackBeat Bluetooth earbuds. They come in a few different flavors. The model I have is:

http://www.plantronics.com/us/produc...uId=sku6510037

I use them while riding with my half and full helmets. I also use them while snow blowing and lawn mowing. The audio quality is great and there is plenty of volume. It connects to my mobile phone and a mp3 player with a Bluetooth adapter without issue. The link above shows the model with the battery pack but they sell just the headset at a lower cost. The battery pack is nice because you can charge USB devices without a power source. I find it to be handy when I'm traveling. I love these earbuds because they're wireless and do not add anything bulky to the helmet.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:15 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Be sure to check our UClear. Bluetooth, no wires, no boom. Comm to multiple riders of competing brands (Sena, Scala, etc), helmet to helmet, Phone,GPS, Ipod or any bluetooth device. Waterproof. The best out there right now. www.uclear.com

Last edited by hoethree; 02-20-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:24 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
If you use earplugs, you'll find the Sena bluetooth headsets too quiet. I can just about hear that my GPS has said something (and so glance at the screen to see what), but can't hear music over 50mph.

I've just ordered some custom earplugs with earphones built-in, and I've going to try them out with a cheap headphone bluetooth adapter I found on Amazon to see if that's any better/worse.
I found the same thing to be true. I've been using ear buds with my iPod and the GPS. I bought the Sena10 so hubby and I could communicate while riding. I can hear him fine but can barely hear the tunes, I can tell it's there but it's not clear.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:01 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the Sena 20s and it is plenty loud / however I do wear a full-face Arai - most times with the visor up as I typically wear my riding glasses and its hot here in the summer ;-). My exhaust is loud and I have zero issue with any music. It also has an earbud jack if you don't want (or can't) install speakers in your helmet

Old 02-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Sena SMH-10 with speakers in the helmet. I can hear the music, GPS and my wife with no problems even when wearing earplugs. I wear a full-face Shoei.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts

I guess I don't understand what is meant by some stating "if you wear earplugs it's hard to hear anything". Isn't that the point of wearing earplugs?

I've got the Sena SMH10 and they are so loud I can't stand them at full volumn.
I highly recommend them.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:54 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I guess I don't understand what is meant by some stating "if you wear earplugs it's hard to hear anything". Isn't that the point of wearing earplugs?

I've got the Sena SMH10 and they are so loud I can't stand them at full volumn.
I highly recommend them.
Is there some way to adjust the volume other than the dial on the unit? Like resetting the default?

Old 02-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Triple M
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Be sure to check our UClear. Bluetooth, no wires, no boom. Comm to multiple riders of competing brands (Sena, Scala, etc), helmet to helmet, Phone,GPS, Ipod or any bluetooth device. Waterproof. The best out there right now. www.uclear.com
I have UClear also and agree with Hoethree.

Quick Reply: Helmet Speakers