Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misconceptions about ape hangers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:55 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Misconceptions about ape hangers...

They're illegal in many states because at the time it was a way to control those terrible nonconformist bikers that were chopping their rides and putting bluedots on their tailights. Many states are currently looking at removing or modifying those laws.

And, while they weren't outlawed because they look 'stoopid', they were outlawed because they looked different.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:02 PM
tireater
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isaw some apes at the last bike blessing they were a foot over their shoulders..everyone had them in one small group...
We do alot of riding on really twisty roads - may be whythey are not very popular around here..

Old 04-19-2007, 06:46 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tailbreaker

In reality, I'd guess that most of use are more poser than hardcore, regardless of what type of bars we have.
I have to agree with you. I used to ride year round. Though the ice, snow and rain, nothing kept me off of two wheels. Now that I am almost 40, I have realized that I have a car for that!!
I hate to admit it, but I have become a fair weather rider[:@].
over 40 here, and ride daily. im not hardcore, i just like to ride more than drive.
my car is just for hauling music gear and groceries.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:51 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: huffhuff
there has to be a reason why they are illegal in many states and it isn't cause they look stoopid. hands should not be above your heart for a long length of time. look at the number of time you see riders shaking their hands to get circulation back at stoplights. you need to be able to make any manuever without taking one of your hands from the bars, hard to do with apes.
eh, the law can be pretty random and capricious. i wouldnt trust a law just because it exists. remember the 55mph speed limit, and all the "safety advocates" that claimed it would be carnage if it were raised? turns out the origin of the law was _fuel efficiency_ not safety.

no beer sales on sunday in lots of areas. no good reason for that.

pot laws? pure bs. both alcohol and tobacco are way more dangerous, but you can get them at the gas station here.

im not a fan of apes either, but not because of some law somewhere.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:19 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

there has to be a reason why they are illegal in many states and it isn't cause they look stoopid. hands should not be above your heart for a long length of time.......

Oh yeah. What about your brain? Is that why so many have their head up their azz?

Old 04-19-2007, 09:04 PM
toprofile
Tourer

I like em on some scootz like dyna bobs, not so much on some others. Not on mine now.
Just like a hardtail, I'd prefer them for barhopping and not so much cross country.

First few times I encountered them I didn't like them at all - but my tude has changed a bit. I seem to be appreciating lots of differences in bikes that I didn't really care for in earlier years.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I like the looks. Have mini apes, but added 6" risers to raise them about shoulder high.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 624 Posts

They do keep you pits dryer and I really like the stock mini-apes on my Steet Bob.

Really tall apes do adversely affect handling and control. Think about it, have you ever seen a road racing bike with apes? I know, I know, they use clip ons for a more aerodynamic slipstream but seriously, drag bars and flat track bars allow more control but let's face it - for street riding, comfort and style are imnportant factors.

Apehangers, like whiskey is a good thing in moderation.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:11 AM
FACTION95
Road Master

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

there has to be a reason why they are illegal in many states and it isn't cause they look stoopid. hands should not be above your heart for a long length of time.......

Oh yeah. What about your brain? Is that why so many have their head up their azz?
Hit the nail right on the head!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:16 AM
XL1200N
Road Master

Haven't changed my mine sense the last thread about apes, don't like em.

Brian

Quick Reply: Misconceptions about ape hangers...