Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misconceptions about ape hangers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 AM
GlennA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk about a tread with staying power. I don't ride with apes, but think most look fine. To each his/her own. Before I changed my RK Classic bars to Heritage Softtail bars, I could baely ride an hour without experiencing stabbing pain between my shoulder blades. With the Heritage bars, which are only about 1.5 inches taller, I can ride all day in comfort. The handling is significantly improved as well. Perhaps some mini-apes or apes are in my future.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey to each their own.

If riding with apes make you a poser I guess I'm a "mini" poser since I just put on some 10" mini's on my RK. Rode with HD RK highbars for years but alway got cramps in my right hand and wrist after about an hour. Different feel when cornering but no more cramps. Ridden a RK with 16"s and didn't like it but that could have been because I wasn't use to them. Not sure I like the 10"s but haven't gotten much seat time since installing them.
Regardless, they're staying.

As far as I'm concerned, your ride, build it your way.

Krusr

Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PastorTom
Been riding with apes over 30 years.. and always found it funny that the people who spend there time trash talkin on apes have never riden with apes..
Not ta stir up this hornets nest again.. But there have been a lot of threads about "Whats a Biker?" One of the things about a biker.. they never talk trash on anybodys ride no mater what it is.. I build my bikes as an extension of who I am, every biker does..Ya talk trash on my ride.. Yer talkin trash on me, who I am..
I don't like riding with drag bars, find em uncomfortable.. But I certainly wouldnt tell anyone there wrong or stupid because they do..
My wife rides a RoadKing and she loves it, I don't care for it. I find it bulky and uncomfortable.. So does that make a RoadKing Ugly or junk or unsafe Etc, etc..Of course not.. You ride a Dyna, does that make everybody onna Sporty stupid or wrong?
Blessings
Well said PasterTom......well said.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:44 PM
AzzHat
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DR.Greenthumb
Well here's my bike before and after Apes.Honestly can yousay the Apes detract from the looks.

I think it was a good looking bike before........and a fantastic looking bike now.

Tom

Old 08-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

had'em when i was a kid. they worked good on that particular bike. but now i roll sport-bike style and wouldn't sit on my tail-bone again if you paid me. no apes for me.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
deloache
Novice

love em. much better than the stock bars my bike came with.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:14 PM
P47
Tourer

I know I love the mini apes on my Bob. I don't know how guys ride with the bars at waist level.