General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misconceptions about ape hangers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:54 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts
Default RE: Misconceptions about ape hangers...

I have 16s on my Deluxe and they feel great. I have done trips with no problems at all. Very comfortable for hours, especially with a t-bag on the passenger seat to rest the ol' back against. A friend has 18s and I sat on his and they felt great...kind of made me wish I had gone with 18s. One thing to consider is whether or not your run with a windshield. My 16s are right about even with the top of a full size Deluxe windshield. I think 18s would sit above the top and I would not care for that look. I only run my shield on the super slab but I do not want my bars sitting above the top.

BTW, I am digging these Nightsters...especially the silver/black denim. I may pick one up this year. I think some 12s or 16s in black would look awesome on that bike. What size are yours?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:12 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This won't be popular but I think apes on anything else but a hard tail look like sh*t.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 PM
spike95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: FACTION95

One Joker on here posted "Just today I saw this stunning red Deluxe and it had these redonkulously ginormous bars that ,in my opinion,completly ruined the bike.Am I missing something? Every time I see a bike like that It just screams POSER!"

apes = poser?
Maybe he was talking about those big 1.5 inch thick monstrositiesthat so manyof youlike to roll with! Take18" apes and then makethem fat as a baseball bat and I'd say they could be described as "redonkulous". I know everyone loves the fat bars and I am in the minority here so flame away if you like.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:20 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DR.Greenthumb

ORIGINAL: Bill G

ORIGINAL: Redneck

Don't like em...
I agree with you, don't like them at all on any Harley model. They take away from the looks of every bike I have seen them on,but again the mini apes look pretty good on a lot of models, just don't care for the tall ones.

Take Care,
Bill G
Well here's my bike before and after Apes.Honestly can yousay the Apes detract from the looks.

uhh , yes I can quite honestly say IMO , it looks much better without them ( lot more badass) but that just me

Old 04-11-2008, 07:06 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spike95

ORIGINAL: FACTION95

One Joker on here posted "Just today I saw this stunning red Deluxe and it had these redonkulously ginormous bars that ,in my opinion,completly ruined the bike.Am I missing something? Every time I see a bike like that It just screams POSER!"

apes = poser?
Maybe he was talking about those big 1.5 inch thick monstrosities that so many of you like to roll with! Take 18" apes and then make them fat as a baseball bat and I'd say they could be described as "redonkulous". I know everyone loves the fat bars and I am in the minority here so flame away if you like.

Now THAT is a beautiful bike!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:45 PM
bhtx
Tourer

Statplexi

I currently have the HD minis.I measured them and they seem to be 10 inchers.

I have BR building me some 1.25 inch, 16 inch tall bent ape killers in black. They should really change things up a bit. When I get through with this bike you probably won't be able to tell its a nightster.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 PM
georgiabiker
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A year ago, I would see apes and hate them. Now I have mini-apes that put my arms shoulder level and LOVE them.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 PM
smikey1
6th Gear

I have the tall ones on my sportster with an extended front end and it can be squirrley as hell over 50 mph,,,and on a windy day hang on brother...kinda depends on your set up...about 100 miles on the sporty then I go grab the Fat Boy....ahhhhhhhhhhh

Old 04-11-2008, 09:35 PM
springerlady02
Outstanding HDF Member

Hell yeah!!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 PM
spike95
Road Master

Thank you akenaten! You guys think I should go a couple inches higher with mine or does it already have the right stance?

Quick Reply: Misconceptions about ape hangers...