General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New York Headphone Laws

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015 | 10:38 AM
Ed_Just_Ed
|
Tourer
Question New York Headphone Laws

This June I will move from Fort Leavenworth to Fort Drum and I read that the law only allows one headphone in your helmet.

Does anyone know if this includes helmet-mounted speakers like the Sena or Scala set-ups?

Or does this only apply to earbuds?

I am considering buying a bluetooth setup and want to be fully informed.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2015 | 12:48 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior

I must be missing something, aren't deaf people allowed to drive?

Old 02-07-2015 | 01:49 PM
riderideride
Tourer

Don't know details of NY law, but CA has similar.

Years of CA riding with audio, never had an issue with helmet and headphones. Had my share of removing helmet in front of an officer, and headphones never came up. Back in pre-helmet law days, before earbuds, even wore those walkman style headphones w/o helmet. I did only cover one ear, but driving past me, no way to tell how many legal ears covered.

Only time it came up, was riding a bicycle wearing buds in each ear. As ridding past an officer guiding traffic, he instructed me to use only one speaker and as he waved me on.

Guessing the risk is if you got in an accident, both ears getting audio might be taken into consideration.

Old 02-07-2015 | 02:22 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigfish_Oh
I must be missing something, aren't deaf people allowed to drive?
Good point. I got my information from the AMA website herehttp://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/State-Laws.aspx?stateid=32

Old 02-07-2015 | 02:27 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

What ever happened to the good old days when you heard a GREAT song in the morning and just hummed it all day long.

Old 02-07-2015 | 02:30 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by riderideride
Don't know details of NY law, but CA has similar.

Years of CA riding with audio, never had an issue with helmet and headphones. Had my share of removing helmet in front of an officer, and headphones never came up. Back in pre-helmet law days, before earbuds, even wore those walkman style headphones w/o helmet. I did only cover one ear, but driving past me, no way to tell how many legal ears covered.

Only time it came up, was riding a bicycle wearing buds in each ear. As ridding past an officer guiding traffic, he instructed me to use only one speaker and as he waved me on.

Guessing the risk is if you got in an accident, both ears getting audio might be taken into consideration.
Thanks for the insight. I was wondering about how that would be enforced. Probably just like you said, it would only come up if something were to happen.

Old 02-07-2015 | 02:35 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Irregardless of headphone laws covering one or both ears, how is a LEO going to know that when your ears are hidden by a helmet?
I ride with ear plugs in both ears. I can't hear nothing when I ride.

Old 02-07-2015 | 03:03 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by riteway
What ever happened to the good old days when you heard a GREAT song in the morning and just hummed it all day long.
I know that technique!

I used it on a ride from Houston to Northern California and back.

Made me wish I had speakers in my helmet...

Old 02-07-2015 | 06:01 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

****, Drum? Be more concerned with the winters, then headphones!

But seriously, I ride with a SMH-10 every ride. I have passed many a cruiser on the side with the Sena clearly exposed and flashing away, and never a second glance beyond a nod or wave I'm given. I don't think its of slightest concern here in the Empire State. However, I am not aware of the actual law.

Gun laws now, that an entirely different story. Army or not, do not carry unless you get a NYS permit. They will ruin your day. They locked up a recently discharged combat vet for having a 30 rnd mag. But I digress...

Last edited by Mchad; 02-07-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2015 | 06:38 PM
HDavidA
Tourer

Not sure of actual law. I ride with earbuds (both) all the time. Never had an issue when passing or stopping in traffic near police.

On a side note, take a ride up to the Thousand Islands. It is gorgeous. They have a bike week at the end of June, not sure exact dates.

Quick Reply: New York Headphone Laws