General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New York Headphone Laws

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015 | 07:23 PM
ConfuciusSay
Banned

Here is the law as taken from the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law book:

375-24-a. It shall be unlawful to operate on any public highway in this state a motor vehicle, limited use automobile, limited use motorcycle or bicycle while the operator is wearing more than one earphone attached to a radio tape player or other audio device.

Here is the definition of a motorcycle:

123. Motorcycle. Every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designated to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor.

So yes, it is a violation. In my 30 years on the job, I have never, nor do I know anybody who has ever written that section.

Hope this helps and thank you for your service.

Old 02-07-2015 | 07:52 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by ConfuciusSay

375-24-a. It shall be unlawful to operate on any public highway in this state a motor vehicle, limited use automobile, limited use motorcycle or bicycle while the operator is wearing more than one earphone attached to a radio tape player or other audio device.

123. Motorcycle. Every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designated to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor.

So yes, it is a violation. In my 30 years on the job, I have never, nor do I know anybody who has ever written that section.

As is jay walking. And again, never in my 40+ years on God's green earth has that been given a second glance. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks both.

Old 02-07-2015 | 08:19 PM
ConfuciusSay
Banned

Originally Posted by Mchad
As is jay walking. And again, never in my 40+ years on God's green earth has that been given a second glance. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks both.
You are wrong about the jay walking enforcement. Try walking across Broadway in MidTown mid block and see how fast a beat cop is on you writing you for jay walking. It is taken as a serious offense because of the dangers of the high volume of traffic and the number of taxis on the roadway. I've seen people try it and get knocked right out of their shoes by a vehicle. The driver's usual response? "I never saw him/her". While I have never seen the earphone section written, I have seen NUMEROUS jaywalking summonses issued.

Not trying to be a Dick (but I may come across like that at times), just trying to play it straight.

Old 02-07-2015 | 09:06 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

I have no idea what the laws are in New York, but you have a computer so why don't you check the New York State legislature/laws?

Old 02-07-2015 | 09:16 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mchad
****, Drum? Be more concerned with the winters, then headphones!

But seriously, I ride with a SMH-10 every ride. I have passed many a cruiser on the side with the Sena clearly exposed and flashing away, and never a second glance beyond a nod or wave I'm given. I don't think its of slightest concern here in the Empire State. However, I am not aware of the actual law.
Thanks for the information.

And, yeah, the thought of all that snow doesn't thrill me.

Old 02-07-2015 | 09:18 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDavidA
Not sure of actual law. I ride with earbuds (both) all the time. Never had an issue when passing or stopping in traffic near police.

On a side note, take a ride up to the Thousand Islands. It is gorgeous. They have a bike week at the end of June, not sure exact dates.
I've been reading about Thousand Islands. I really want to see Boldt Castle up there.

Old 02-07-2015 | 09:19 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ConfuciusSay

Thanks for the information.

Old 02-07-2015 | 09:52 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by riteway
What ever happened to the good old days when you heard a GREAT song in the morning and just hummed it all day long.
That never happens to me, I end up hearing "Sugar, Sugar" or some other bubble gum rap song all day long. I need to shove a pencil in my eye to make it stop!!

Old 02-07-2015 | 09:56 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

It's one thing to be deaf, but it's entirely another thing to be stupid. Ear buds and/or head phones will get you killed on a motorcycle. JMO

Old 02-07-2015 | 10:39 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

Fines are a big part of revenue in NYS. If you get caught,you'll pay. If you have an accident it will be a contributing factor and would add to your culpability.

Quick Reply: New York Headphone Laws