General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Investing in a HD franchise. You're now an owner. Would you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:00 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Investing in a HD franchise. You're now an owner. Would you?

Given the opportunity presented itself. And you were at a station in life to where you could actually entertain such a notion financially. Would you ever consider investing (becoming an owner) in a Harley-Davidson franchise? Now I'm not talking about purchasing stock in the publicly traded company. I'm talking about actually setting up your own HD shop. Would you?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Ionvex
Cruiser
Default RE: Investing in a HD franchise. You're now an owner. Would you?

Are you F*UCKING kidding.

Why would I chose to put up with all those azzholes who think my only goal in life is to f*ck them out of their money.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would. Pipe dreamed this a few times over the years.

of course, it would be the best dealership in the USA too.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:12 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Ionvex

Are you F*UCKING kidding.

Why would I chose to put up with all those azzholes who think my only goal in life is to f*ck them out of their money.
First, no I'm not kidding.

Second, not every Harley-Davidson owner is of the opinion that the dealer is out to screw them.

I guess I asked the question more from a perspective of what would anyone do differently based upon their experiences therein. Would they take their negative dealings with their existing dealership(s), take note, and make a concerted effort to rewrite the books so to speak. Again, if given the opportunity.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun to contemplate...

--I'd be all over the the internet, sponsoring forums like these and offering discounts to members.
--I'd have major sales happening at least once a month.
--Nobody would be allowed to work for me if they had an attitude.
--The wrenches would be the best I could find and I'd pay them accordingly. If my
service department tried to screw somebody, or damaged a bike, and the customer
could prove it, there would bea huge reduction to the bill and the service manager or
mechanic would get an earful.
--I'd carry other brands of riding gear, helmets, lubricants and accessories.
--Since I'd be invited to the dealer shows, I'd make sure the top brass at Harley heard my
comments/complaints.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,432 Likes on 4,355 Posts

Nope, wouldn't do it. A truly healthy big expensive bike economy is dependent on folks having discretionary income above a certain level... and I think the U.S. economy will be taking enough hits that high end expenditures likely Harleys (and all the bling) are going to have some setbacks.

Harley loyalists like us will stayactive but others will just buy a Yamaguchi or nothing at all. However, if a dealership could be better integrated withMANY other less-price-sensitive product lines then it might be worth it to start one up from scratch. Would be fun to do it that way.

Oh by the way... the value of my economicviewplus 50cents could just about buy you a half a cup of c-store coffee!
ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

Given the opportunity presented itself. And you were at a station in life to where you could actually entertain such a notion financially. Would you ever consider investing (becoming an owner) in a Harley-Davidson franchise? Now I'm not talking about purchasing stock in the publicly traded company. I'm talking about actually setting up your own HD shop. Would you?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Knowing what I know about business, not to mention retail business and the money needed to invest into such an endeavor...I would have to say no, I wouldn't invest in this kind of thing.

Retail/service shop isa pretty tough business to get into. Harley Davidson has all sorts of regulations and quotas that must be met on a regular basis. Somehow, although you own your own francise, you still work for them. They have a lot of control over everything. The type of building you need andshowroom agenda are all controlled by head office. Now, combine all that with competition of other shops in your city/town...this may prove to be enormous effort.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Phonedoc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: solorider

Fun to contemplate...

--I'd be all over the the internet, sponsoring forums like these and offering discounts to members.
--I'd have major sales happening at least once a month.
--Nobody would be allowed to work for me if they had an attitude.
--The wrenches would be the best I could find and I'd pay them accordingly. If my
service department tried to screw somebody, or damaged a bike, and the customer
could prove it, there would bea huge reduction to the bill and the service manager or
mechanic would get an earful.
--I'd carry other brands of riding gear, helmets, lubricants and accessories.
--Since I'd be invited to the dealer shows, I'd make sure the top brass at Harley heard my
comments/complaints.

Speaking as someone with close family ties to a dealership owner, you're WAY off base.

You'll do exactly as HD tells you, when they tell you to do it. They'll also be completely examining the state of "your" business daily. If they ask, you'd better damned well have the answers they want to hear. Owning a dealership places you under a serious amount of scrutiny from the mothership. It's not all sunshine and puppies.

Like I said, I know one who's VERY glad to be retiring.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

Knowing what I know about business, not to mention retail business and the money needed to invest into such an endeavor...I would have to say no, I wouldn't invest in this kind of thing.

Retail/service shop isa pretty tough business to get into. Harley Davidson has all sorts of regulations and quotas that must be met on a regular basis. Somehow, although you own your own francise, you still work for them. They have a lot of control over everything. The type of building you need andshowroom agenda are all controlled by head office. Now, combine all that with competition of other shops in your city/town...this may prove to be enormous effort.
You have some very good points. Undoubtedly, as with any franchise, there are very specific guidelines from which to subscribe. By that same measure, franchisees are in a position to take advantage of an already proven schematic. I regard the 'control' in terms of what type of building I'd need and showroom, etc as a benefit and not a hinderence. Again, taking full advantage of an already well thought out, well marketed, and proven prospectus. There's talk about good times and bad times. Be that as it may, how many of us have actually seen a Harley dealership shut down throughout all our combined years? Yes, it happens. But it is extremely rare. That's why the dealerships are highly coveted.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:37 PM
xor13
Tourer

I wouldn't. I hate sales, and I don't have that drive to get that extra penny from a person.

Quick Reply: Investing in a HD franchise. You're now an owner. Would you?