General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Investing in a HD franchise. You're now an owner. Would you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Phonedoc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Investing in a HD franchise. You're now an owner. Would you?

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: Phonedoc

ORIGINAL: traveler

Don't want to start an arguement....but as long as your selling bikes, etc., why would the MOCO be in your a$$? [&:]

I think it would be a great idea! But, try to keep it smaller than the average Harley dealer.....that way you can provide more personalized service......A place where people want to come by on Saturday on their ride to say hi for 10-15 minutes! And maybe even talk to customers, who want to know "what it's really like" etc....

Hire RIDERS to work there......they have to know what they are selling, IMHO....

Joe

No argument here, just stating what I know.

See, the problem is that HD will be telling you how big your dealership will be, how it will be arranged, what you'll be carrying, what your hours are, etc. It's like selling your soul to the devil, but this devil likes to stalk you to the ends of the earth and maintains complete control over your affairs.

As I said, every aspect of your business will be audited daily, and HD will be telling you how the next day will be. Or else.

Not calling into questoin your first hand knowledge of the above. And can respect same. But the very things you've listed are exactly what makes a franchise a franchise. Individuals who opt in on a franchise do such knowing that their business plan of operations is orchestrated and mandated by the franchisor. The franchisor doesn't do these things for the sole purpose of making the franchisee's life miserable. Far to the contrary. It is in their best interest that the franchisee is as successful as possible. Having said that, seldom are they going to have a franchisee execute a game plan that hasn't been researched and proven elsewhere. Franchisees who are combative, a bit too much of the independent mindset, and who don't like being told the what, when, and where's are perhaps not the best candidates for such a business model in my opinion. Those are the types of folks whose lives are made miserable; much so by their own doing. Franchises; they are what they are - for a reason.

Understood, and you are correct on all counts.

I guess I just harbor a little bitterness, as I've watched what a highly successful dealership has been through in the last few years. It started out in the fifties, and they sold lawn and garden equipment to make ends meet. They made it through the seventies/eighties, when the bikes wouldn't even run out of the crate. But they made a good living, and built a new building. Things were great.

Then came the fad of the nineties.

One day a set of specs landed on the desk, and they were told "Your dealership will look like this or you won't be a dealer anymore."

When the money started, so did the control. All dealers went through it. Notice they all look alike nowadays? Good dealers were left behind by HD in a manic effort to build giant "bike malls". Conform or die. Your choice.

They killed the small dealer in the name of greed. This dealer used to be all bikes with a rack of T-shirts in the back. Now HD dictates the amount of square footage that must be dedicated to motorclothes and crap. The bikes come second. Pay attention to square footage for each next time you're at a dealership.

I guess things have to change, and change is good. But what I've seen disappoints me so far.

I will allow that HD made concessions to this dealership, and he's still allowed to carry metrics as well. I've not seen that anywhere else, so they're not all bad.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:18 AM
GOSTAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A custom bike shop? Yes.

A HD franchise? NO... I am done with dealers. They are too homogenized. Just like a car dealership now... I have been to HD shops all over the country this past year, and they all look and act the same. I love HD bikes, but the "common marketing" scheme is boring... Plus going to the dealer is like showing up at the fair or carnival.. You know the game is rigged, so you never feel like playing...

Custom bike shops always have a little of the owner in them, and a lot more personality, and in my experience with two of them, better prices, better mechanics, more honest, and seem to be happier to have the business.

Selling new cars is boring... trust me, I used to do it. Selling classic stuff or exotics? To me, that would be fun, and to do that, you gotta go custom shop.. Is it easy? Hell no. But I don't have to worry, I cannot afford to try, and I am real happy being the customer, not the owner...

Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40Retail/service shop isa pretty tough business to get into. Harley Davidson has all sorts of regulations and quotas that must be met on a regular basis. Somehow, although you own your own francise, you still work for them. They have a lot of control over everything. The type of building you need andshowroom agenda are all controlled by head office.
But, of course, contact the MoCo aboutpricegouging and shoddy treatment and they fall back on the "Each dealer isindependantly owned and we have no control over them." [:@]

Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I would, in heart-beat. Reason is because I don't like the way most of the cycle dealerships in the Tucson area treat people and I would change that, that is, create much better cutomer service. The other reason is that Tucson Harley thinks it's stuff doesn't stink because they have no competetion in Tucson.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Guilty, THG, nice paragraphs from both of you (NO, that was not sarcasm). But we're on different pages here. Guilty, I was laughing about the "filthy rich" comment, after 20 years in this business,I can guarantee the filthy rich are few and far between. Most of these guys are robbing Peter to pay Paul and it just continues on like that. In the mean time they draw a good salary and work their asses off, but there are very few Harley Dealers that are millionaires.

THG, DoI know what goes on in my shop, our budgets, our financial status, I damn well hope so since I order the bikes.WhatI do with the bikes doesnot get approved later by someone else, so I better get it right the first time. I order bikes based onvarious concerns; whatwe can afford, what we might get stuck with, what it will cost us to keep them. I'm afarid I can't do that without knowing our financial situation.We have a parts man who orders all the P & A, he controls what comes into this shop, we rely on his expertise, so he better know what is going on. Maybe in your line of work, you do all of this yourself, but the owner of a HD dealership wouldn't even have the time to do it. His personal finances, you're right,I have no idea, butI do know how ALL of the dealers in my general area live and as I said, there are no millionaires. I'm not sure wher you were going with your paragraph, but whatI was saying was that; yes owning a HD dealership is a good living, but it is no where near what you people think it is.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

Hellya!

You'd have to be crazy to turn down an opportunity like this. MSRP + setup + freight =license to steal. Car dealers dream of the time when the public paid msrp for thier products. 25-35 dollar tshirts, what's not to like. Large fanbase to purchase accessories, from non owners.

Plus, with products in high demand, you can get over msrp and people will stand in line to pay the price. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, with the right attitude, I don't see how you can lose.

Treat the customer right, make them feel like they got a good deal (sales), have good service reps that treat customers like a king, should be a forumla for success. Also finding a niche in the market (doingsomething few are doing) would help build success. Make sure you have a good business plan and stick to it (I'm sure you do).

Most of these guys are robbing Peter to pay Paul and it just continues on like that. In the mean time they draw a good salary and work their asses off, but there are very few Harley Dealers that are millionaires.
I have a hard time with this, unless you borrowed your capital from a loan shark, or blow all your money, you should do very, very well in this business. The dealers in my area seem to be doingextremely well, with the exception of one that seems to be populated by asshats.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Wayward, I understand what you are saying, but do the math. This is based on an area of aprrox. 150,000 people (the average population that a dealer has to draw from);

average dealer sells 250 bikes per year at anywhere from $2000 - $3000 in profit,

35 to 45% profit on accessories (average sales on parts..$300,000)

and 40% in clothing (average sales on clothing ($250,000).

The wages alone for a small dealership (approx 15 employees) will run you $500,000....there goes mostof your profit on bikes. Now, your profit from the clothing, service and parts departments goesto payHarley all of their fees (percentage of profit, advertising, brochures, etc), up-keep of the building, taxes, power, insurance (which is huge), etc, etc, etc,. When you are all done with that, you then get your bottom line, which is not a huge amount, sorry.

Yes, there are dealers that sell more than 250 bikes per year, but again, those are large city dealerships and you wouldn't get one of those anyway. A big dealer in say Texas will sell four times that amount, but across North America, there are a lot more small dealers, than large. Right now, since all the prime locations are already established, if anyone opened a Harley Dealership, they would be in the 250 group.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

I'm not disagreeing with you Sam.

In Omaha, one dealer (Dillon) owns multiple car dealerships in at least 2 cities, as far as I know that was before they were franchised for HD. They have another HD dealership in a smaller town outside of Omaha. They are the largest in the area, and alot of the clients pay the dealer for every service item imaginable.

The other dealer in Omaha (Holsteins) has the Victory/Polaris franchise and recently opened a Honda dealership next door to the HD store. That's what I know of. I'm sure they own more that I don't.

The Lincoln dealer (Frontier) recently moved to a massive new building with 2 floors and has a large inventory.

There is a small new dealer in Glenwood Iowa, that doesn't seem to be doing as well. The reason may be the smart donkey hired as the sales manager.

Those things being said, I feel that if you have an aggressive strategy you can do much better than the average dealer. A few examples.

Barnett HD - specializes in financing people with less than good credit. I see ads in my local papers and thrify nickle type papers on a regular basis. Advertises all over the country.

Zanotti's/Chicago HD/Others - Offer 20% off on parts over the internet, offer good service on orders/refunds/don't gouge on shipping. I'm sure they make a killing in the parts dept.

Eagle HD - Racing. Big Bore Vrods. Up to 1550cc. I hear the 1350 stroker is killer. This dealer has built quite a reputation as a leader in vrod upgrades. Gets loads of business refered by 1130cc.com (formerly vrodforums.com). I'm sure the service department rakes in the bucks.

There are just 3 strategies that are used (and well known) that I would do if I were in the position the OP states he is. I know the 3rd position is based on experience, but you have to start somewhere. The first 2 are relatively no brainers.

(added)

Also, let's not forget about income generated from rentals and riding courses, etc, and of course, Buell.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Phonedoc

ORIGINAL: solorider

Speaking as someone with close family ties to a dealership owner, you're WAY off base.

You'll do exactly as HD tells you, when they tell you to do it. They'll also be completely examining the state of "your" business daily. If they ask, you'd better damned well have the answers they want to hear. Owning a dealership places you under a serious amount of scrutiny from the mothership. It's not all sunshine and puppies.

Like I said, I know one who's VERY glad to be retiring.

I have a half-dozen dealers within an hour of my house, which means they're also about an hour away from HD Headquarters in Milwaukee. Some sell Kuryakyn parts, some don't. One is all over the internet trying to buy, repairand sell antique bikes, others focus on newer models. Some sell AMSOIL and other brands of lubricants, some don't. Some are open on Sundays, some aren't. One has a building that is 50 years old, the others are much newer. One just sent me a card saying that all merchandise will be 20% off until further notice, other dealers may only have a 20% sale two or three times per year. And the kicker, one sells BMW's right along side of the Harleys, including Tourmaster clothing, Nolan helmets, etc.

If there can be this much variety in Harley's backyard, I'm sure it can happen elsewhere too.

I'm not as far off base as you may think.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:25 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this says it all
ORIGINAL: JohnT

All emotion aside, from a pure business standpoint, I don't think now would be a good time to invest in a Harley, or any other high end, dealership. The economy is flat, discretionary income levels are low, the re-finance bubble has burst, interest rates are climbing, the housing market is flat or sinking, etc. Also, in the Harley scenario, they need to find a better way (than continuing to lean out their existing engine line) to deal with EPA compliance in the long term. Other manufacturers already meet the 2008 spec, and a few, the 2010 spec.

Five years ago,a Harley dealershipwould have been a great investment. Now? Not with my money. I've go better things to do with it, at least until the above issues get sorted out.

Quick Reply: Investing in a HD franchise. You're now an owner. Would you?