Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Hand Salute

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:51 PM
2000fxdwg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Hand Salute

Most of my ridding has been overseas and when I repatriated and started ridding in the US, I noticed that othe bikers (for the exception of bullet bikers) give the low hand salute...that's what I call it anyway. I never experienced it overseas where I rode since I pretty much new everyone and rode in a pack. Here in Florida it happens often and it feels great to be ridding along and another biker gives the low hand salute. To me, when I salute another biker it means..."I know how you feel man".

Old 04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Low Hand Salute

Welcome back. Here is Colorado I almost only see the low hand salute. I do know how you feel.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
BERRYP
Tourer

Yea just you and your harley and bunch of other riders who know how to live and enjoy!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:58 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the ol' raised fist of the 70's would look kinda goofy these days. Anybody else remember those?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:01 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it started out as a warning (like 'dead possum coming up there around your left side'), and grew from there

Old 04-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

"low hand salute" is pretty much standard now...I enjoy the acknowledgement of fellow riders...only becomes a problem when you are riding alone, and pass about 50 bikers at once....The armstarts to get tired!![sm=biker2.gif]

Old 04-18-2007, 06:08 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

Well, the ol' raised fist of the 70's would look kinda goofy these days. Anybody else remember those?

Yes I sure do remember those, they were used by
guys that actually rode their motorcycles. Which is
a very rare thing these days!

I still to this day always give everyone a big high up
wave that actually looks like I'm having FUN" riding
instead of looking depressed or trying to look like a
tuff guy shooting a low hand wave! LOL"

Old 04-18-2007, 06:10 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Nostalgic07

"low hand salute" is pretty much standard now...I enjoy the acknowledgement of fellow riders...only becomes a problem when you are riding alone, and pass about 50 bikers at once....The armstarts to get tired!![sm=biker2.gif]

Stay away from Sturgis and Daytona.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:13 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member

I've always wondered how the low hand salute got started....the first time I ever got out and rode on the highway in '99 (first sunny day in a while ) there was a ton of bikers out. Being a newbe, my first thought was that they were pointing to something about my bike or the road, and I kept checking to see if I'd left my turn signal on or something.....back then I always assumed I was doing something wrong!....then finally I caught on.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:20 PM
RageAndMachine
Road Master

Yeah, i can dig the low hand salute, thats all cool and all. but after a while, if there are alot of bikes out, that sh*t just gets plain old.

there is always the, who is gonna waive first dillemma. then there is the wait till the last second, then one guy waives and your already passed when you waive or there is the real, quick last second waive cuz you waited to long blah lah. or there is the I waive, but the other guy doesnt waive back, so the guy in the car behind me thinks im a loser cuz im waiving at people that dont waive back. its just too incosistent, and confusing.

As i stated in previous posts, this summer when i head out to sturgis and there are bikes all over and all your doing is waiving, im just gonna tape a manican arm to my handle bar with the two finger salute. that way i can just ride and not worry about it.

out.

Quick Reply: Low Hand Salute