General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage II download?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:34 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stage II download?

I just got my scoot back from the dealer after having installed the stage II big bore kit, cams, etc...

I had authorised the dealer to send my bike over to a local shop to be dyno tuned. But when I picked my bike up the dealer told me that to save me money they just did the HD stage II download.

I asked why he did that when i authorised the dyno tune and he said the stage II download from HD was as good as the dyno tune I would receive and it was nothing at all like the HD stage I download.

Well I'm not sure how it could be better than a dyno tune but they didn't charge me fore the download so I decided not to make a deal out of it.

I can bring it in for a proper tuning later. Not to mention I have my own power vision tuner as well.

I guess my question is this: Does anyone know if the HD stage II download is really good and would it be worth the money to take it to another shop for a proper dyno tune?

I would think that the download from HD would stil hold my bike back as they have to stay within EPA standards but the dealer told me last night that isn't the case with the stage II. Kinda feel like he may have been BSing me. I just don't see how a proper tune wouldn't be loads better. Don't get me wrong; the guy is way cool and I had a great experience with him and the dealer but sometimes I think these guys don't realize that many of us actually know something about bikes, motors etc. I think they are used to talking to people who don't really understand and they can just spout off canned responses and think we will believe it.

Last edited by WhiteNoise; 01-23-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

How can it be as good as a dynotune. It cant youll use different everything than harley would, cams, pipes air cleaner.

Plus every bike runs different and your location and weather was different then milwaukee too.

The stage 2 maybe a decent base to start at but get it tuned.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Yrs ago download was not good at all.. most was sorry they paid for them..

But,, in the last 4-5 yrs I have known several other who did them and are happy...

As far as a DL being as good as a good Dyno, well -- IMO -- no way.. but they are probably decent, but they are leaving some #'s on the table...

Heck I have one friend who has not done anything to his last 3 bikes except install cams and pipes.. No download or anything... I wouldn't do that.. but he's happy...

I don't like messing with the engine tuning. If I got another bike, I'd go with the usual stg1 - cams and I like and would go with the SEpST and a dyno. just me...

Old 01-23-2015, 01:17 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

Agreed. That is why I authorised the dyno tune. It was going to run me $750 but I preferred that over the download. I was pretty bummed when I was told they used the download instead.

When I first bought my bike I did the stage I (intake, exhaust and download) and the download sucked. I then bought a tuner. Tuned it myself and the bike ran great.

I was looking to avoid this now that I upgraded to stage II and wanted the dyno tune.

Gonna wait for the new engine to be broke in first but as soon as I go over 500 miles I will take it to a dyno shop.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Are all the parts used the same listed with the Stage II download?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:23 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Are all the parts used the same listed with the Stage II download?
Yes. I bought the stage II kit from HD and they did the install. I added the cam plate support with Hi-Volume oil pump too.

My engine & trans were completely rebuilt as well.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:11 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I was really happy with the Stage 1 download I did on my 2011, but it only had slip-ons. I didn't even know they had a Stage 2 download available.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:31 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,014 Likes on 656 Posts
Default I got the stage 1 b/c of switching pipes

When I bought my fatboy, I got some V&H slip on's so the bike could be heard. Stock mufflers suck IMO. The dealership informed me that the bike will run lean and hotter with the different pipes and advised me to do the Stage 1. Price was minimal, so I told them to go for it. Performance difference is minimal though.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

If you have both sizes of bungs or if you can add the larger bungs for Wideband O2 sensors I'd get the Pro Version add on for the Power Vision and run a few auto tunes, Almost as good as a Dyno and probably much better than a dealer DL. Then you can compare the two. Cost only half as much and can adapt to any future changes. JMHO

Old 01-23-2015, 10:21 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

I'll have to look up this pro version add on. Is this something they sell? Like a software upgrade for my power vision?

Larger bungs huh? hmmm will look into that. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Stage II download?