General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginner learning bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM
AbbyLyn906
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner learning bike?

What wuold be a good, cheap bike to learn on? I've never ridden before and I definitely want to start out on something cheap so I don't have to worry about it too much if I drop it or something.
I've looked at Honda Rebels and things like that but I don't know what to get.
I really want it to be cheap.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:33 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Personally, if you've never ridden before I'd take a class in riding. They will show you the basics and, if they are like they were in my area when my son took the course, they will supply you with a bike to learn on and if you drop it, no big deal. While taking that class, it will give you an opportunity to see if riding a bike is really for you or not. If after taking that course and you are still interested in riding, then you might have a better idea of which bike to buy for your very first one, good luck.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:37 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by AbbyLyn906
I don't know what to get.
I really want it to be cheap.
That's the answer to your question. Buy a used bike and learn to ride it, before you sink thousands on a bike you really want. After all, you might not like riding, since you never have.

And like Springer and everyone else has said, take the safety course.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:39 PM
AbbyLyn906
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
That's the answer to your question. Buy a used bike and learn to ride it, before you sink thousands on a bike you really want. After all, you might not like riding, since you never have.

And like Springer and everyone else has said, take the safety course.
I'm saying when I get started I want to practice on an old bike that I won't be too upset about messing up. I just don't want to learn on a nice Harley. I'll get the Harley later after I have enough experience on the cheaper bike. I do plan on taking the course ASAP. I'm just trying to get some imput.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:42 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,064 Likes on 6,683 Posts

Honda Rebels are popular learning bikes. They are even styled a little like HDs, so the seating position will be similar. If you can find a used one, it's probably been dropped already, and much cheaper than a new HD.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Bigbob88
Tourer

Honda has some good light bikes to start out on that's what I started out on many years ago ( Honda 160) you could get a used Harley XL 883 there light about 500 lb. new at about $8000 but still that would be a lot of to spend on a starter bike. Good luck in your hunt.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:03 PM
7of9
Advanced

Originally Posted by AbbyLyn906
I'm saying when I get started I want to practice on an old bike that I won't be too upset about messing up. I just don't want to learn on a nice Harley. I'll get the Harley later after I have enough experience on the cheaper bike. I do plan on taking the course ASAP. I'm just trying to get some imput.
I think the point he might be trying to get across is that you might get some better ideas about what kind of bike you want to buy as a beginner bike when you take the course. I know my ideas about bikes changed a lot when I took mine. They had a variety of 250's for us to use for the course and riding a Rebel told me...I definitely didn't want a Rebel! It was low enough, but didn't fit me right.

My best advice is to take the course and then sit on a bunch of different bikes to figure out what fits you, then find something used. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten a Buell Blast, rode the heck out of it, then a bigger bike. You can pick them up for under 2k up here and they're super easy to learn on and with a 500cc engine, take a little bit longer than a 250 to outgrow.

Good luck on the course and have fun!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:04 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

a really cheap bike could be a PITA. there's a difference between a good deal price and a piece of junk price that will need $$$$$$'s spent on it just to get it and keep it running..

Old 01-21-2015, 03:25 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Find a good bike somewhere in the 500cc range that's in decent shape for a reasonable price to start on. You definitely don't want a bike that's too "cheap" because you'll likely end up inheiriting some one else's problems. Once you're confident in your ability, sell the starter to someone that's going to learn just as you did then use that money to put a down payment on a larger bike.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:26 PM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

any UJM will do.

Quick Reply: Beginner learning bike?