General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginner learning bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:28 AM
MrsBarlow
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grapeapes
2) a Rebel 250 will be harder to sell than a Suzuki C50 (800cc) / Honda shadow (750cc), and you could get most of the money you put out if you keep the bigger bike in fairly nice shape (hence the crash bars).
It depends on your area. In SoCal, the 250s (Rebels & VStar) get snatched up the moment they're posted on Craigslist and they run about $2000-$3500 (even older ones)

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/searc...bel&srchType=T

Old 01-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsBarlow
It depends on your area. In SoCal, the 250s (Rebels & VStar) get snatched up the moment they're posted on Craigslist and they run about $2000-$3500 (even older ones)

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/searc...bel&srchType=T
That hasn't been my experience. I have a nearly new Rebel I bought for my lady friend to ride. Too scared to ride. Only 125 miles on a brand new bike, and it's been for sale on CL for over a month now. The only inquiries are from scammers

Old 01-23-2015, 12:52 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by grapeapes
I just moved up to a Road King from riding a Suzuki C50. I'm 6'2" (230lbs) and rode the C50 on the interstate 80mph everyday. A little buzzy, but did the job. My point is the 250cc range for a cruiser will limit your riding area, the 750cc range will not.
The OP is not a 6'2" (230lbs) guy. She is a petite female. That's funny, she's 'petite'. When I began riding and was about the same size, I was a 'runt'.

Her primary concern should not be the ability to pick up her scooter if it falls over, or limits on her 'riding' area. I realize you guys mean well, but this is an issue you, and actually she, can't really understand unless you have been in her position and actually have experience being 'petite', or a runt.

The concerns are different for a rider that is dead, or in a wheelchair. Motorcycles are not going away. There is time to 'learn' to swim before jumping into the deep end of the pool.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:09 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,739 Likes on 797 Posts

Any of the mid-sized Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki line would serve you well to start on, if a cruiser-type motorcycle is what you're after. The 750 Shadow was actually my first "big" bike.
I think the 250 to 600 sport and moto bikes would be good also. Just go check out few.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:46 AM
nolabel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Suzuki 650 Savage (now called a Boulevard S40) OR the Kawasaki Vulcan 500.

Why?

Forgive if I got the details wrong, but you're a new rider, want to graduate to a Harley, and you're a petite female? Of course you go do the safety course and maybe try a few bikes out. But...

- the Savage is 350lbs, your feet will touch the ground when you stop, and at 650cc it has enough go to get you learning without being excessive. Also, for about $200, after you get the hang of things, you can swap the stock pipe for a more open (but not completely open) exhaust pipe and an Indy shop to install and rejet the carb, and that 650cc will really move. Note do not install a straight pipe as no carb rejet will eliminate backfire, as the bike has one cylinder and needs some back pressure. The bike is colloquially known as a Thumper, because it has one cylinder, explaining its low weight.

- the Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It weighs 440lbs, your feet will touch the ground when you stop, it goes completely stock, probably wouldn't bother with changing pipe or rejet carb. Theyre quite fast stock.

I don't think the Honda 750 Shadow is the best alternative for you (saw you mentioned it). Heavier and slower than each bike mentioned above, with the heavy part the problem for a beginner.

And finally, to tip my hand, many years ago I wanted to graduate to a Harley, having ridden motocross as a youngster but only having ridden sporadically for 15 years. I bought a cheap Suzuki Savage, bundled about, started feeling comfy, popped on a more open pipe and rejet, the bike flew. Burned around on that for a year. Then sold it no problems, to a petite woman who loved it to death (became friends), and bought a 1992 FXR, which I still have today.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:11 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,695 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Yamaha Virago's also have a low seat height, are cheap and will be similar to a HD cruiser style vs a sport bike.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:14 AM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you decide to go with a Metric bike for a starter, then you should definitely join and discuss the bikes with members on the forums for those bikes, especially women of your stature.

www.hondashadow.net
www.volusiariders.com

Many petite women there that started on rebels, Shadow or a Boulevards/Volusias.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:33 AM
7of9
Advanced

I'm in the size range of the OP and tried a Virago once. Not only was it ugly as could be, it was really top heavy to me, worse than a sportster.

For me, it's less about the weight of the bike than the balance and center of gravity. A heavy, but lower center of gravity is easier for me to handle than a lighter, but taller bike.

Let's face it, when you're this small, anything beyond a dirt bike is HEAVY. You can't rely on brute strength and you have to learn to work with leverage.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:14 PM
MrsBarlow
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7of9
I'm in the size range of the OP and tried a Virago once. Not only was it ugly as could be, it was really top heavy to me, worse than a sportster.
I've never been on a Virago...but I will second the fact that it is ugly.

My little Vulcan has been a great bike to learn on. I promised my husband that I would keep it for a year before deciding what to do next. (He wisely predicted that my desires would change when I gained some experience)

It has been very forgiving. It required no changes to get it to fit me. (The previous owner was also female) It's reliable. It's comfortable. And I have no problem keeping up with my husband on the freeway. I've done about 1700 miles in 6 months of riding.

My year is up in May and I'm considering my choices (Scout, Switchback or take over my husband's FXR). But, the really great thing is that the Vulcan gave me the confidence that I can handle a larger bike.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:24 PM
AbbyLyn906
Intermediate

I'll take the class first and see how I feel on whatever bike they put me on and go from there! So much infomation lol.

Quick Reply: Beginner learning bike?