General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginner learning bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:47 PM
MrsBarlow
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AbbyLyn906
I'm gonna get the course done next week, I wish it wasn't $250 though! (:
Are you doing the Harley course or an MSF course?

Old 01-21-2015, 04:49 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I agree it will be worth it. I want to learn to ride well.
Cool, now that we've got that cleared up. A friend of mine had a 450 Honda, I can't remember the model and also a large hay field and he let me take his 450 out and ride around his field until I was comfortable handling that bike. Also, back when I started riding, they didn't have any classes to take so I had to learn by trial and error. Thankfully, riding around in his hay field taught me a lot before I hit the open road.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:56 PM
AbbyLyn906
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsBarlow
Are you doing the Harley course or an MSF course?
I'm not sure which I'm going to take yet, Which would you recommend?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:19 PM
MrsBarlow
Tourer

The Harley classes have more riding and classroom time, plus they limit the class sizes. I've seen MSF courses where they've had over 20, which means that people had to take turns riding.

The MSF courses use 250cc vs the Harley course using the 500cc Street. Since very few people stay on a 250cc bike for very long, I felt the 500cc would be closer to real life experience for me.

The Harley course costs more than MSF class, but I felt it was well worth it.

If you want more details on the Harley class, I wrote about it here: http://theridesiteforum.forumflash.c...rs-edge-class/

Last edited by MrsBarlow; 01-21-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:40 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Get the biggest baddest bike you want. who cares if you drop it

Old 01-21-2015, 06:24 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsBarlow
The Harley classes have more riding and classroom time, plus they limit the class sizes. I've seen MSF courses where they've had over 20, which means that people had to take turns riding.

The MSF courses use 250cc vs the Harley course using the 500cc Street. Since very few people stay on a 250cc bike for very long, I felt the 500cc would be closer to real life experience for me.

The Harley course costs more than MSF class, but I felt it was well worth it. I wouldn't go,to a MSF place that made you share a bike. That's lame.

If you want more details on the Harley class, I wrote about it here: http://theridesiteforum.forumflash.c...rs-edge-class/
Do you get your driving test for your license at the Harley one? How much did that course cost you? I would not attend an MSF course that made you share a bike, that's lame. They really shouldn't be doing that. If they have 10 bikes, they should only allow 10 in the riding class.

Op, 250 is pretty cheap for the amount of training hours you get and money well spent. My IT classes run like 3500 per week

Last edited by kngpn; 01-21-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Plvs Vltra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the Harley Rider's Edge course through Savannah HD a few years back and it was well worth it. I think our class was maxed at six(?) people? There was an MSF instructor who did all the teaching and coaching. At the time the class bike was the Buell Blast. The Harley rep had close to a dozen on site to make sure a bike could we swapped due to any mechanical issues or were dropped and damaged.

On the last day of the class, we took the MSF road test then went back to the dealer for the written test. Once those were passed, we received the MSF card and were off to the DMV for the endorsement. No additional requirements. Cost was ~$250 and they offered a military discount on it.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by 7of9
I think the point he might be trying to get across is that you might get some better ideas about what kind of bike you want to buy as a beginner bike when you take the course. I know my ideas about bikes changed a lot when I took mine. They had a variety of 250's for us to use for the course and riding a Rebel told me...I definitely didn't want a Rebel! It was low enough, but didn't fit me right.

My best advice is to take the course and then sit on a bunch of different bikes to figure out what fits you, then find something used. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten a Buell Blast, rode the heck out of it, then a bigger bike. You can pick them up for under 2k up here and they're super easy to learn on and with a 500cc engine, take a little bit longer than a 250 to outgrow.

Good luck on the course and have fun!
This ^^ !

Take the course, and then Craigslist!

(Oh, and I'm glad you changed your mind about starting with the 883. )

Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

I'm gonna get the course done next week, I wish it wasn't $250 though! (:
I'm not sure which I'm going to take yet, Which would you recommend?
Check the courses, and see if your state sponsors any; that will make it a lot cheaper. For example, in Illinois, as I recall, it's $20.

One nice thing about the course is that it will supply the bikes, so you don't have to worry about damaging your own bike.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:11 PM
MrsBarlow
Tourer

Originally Posted by kngpn
Do you get your driving test for your license at the Harley one? How much did that course cost you?
The course was $325 ( vs $275 for MSF here) and at that time, taking the Harley course excused you from taking the riding the riding test, but you still had to take a written test (same as MSF). But, now in California, MSF courses no longer qualify to get your license. The Harley course is a blend of MSF and Harley materials. We're waiting to see how Harley will handle California's change to the Total Control Training program.

I would not attend an MSF course that made you share a bike, that's lame. They really shouldn't be doing that. If they have 10 bikes, they should only allow 10 in the riding class.
They didn't share bikes, they had to take turns riding the course because too many riders made it too crowded.

Last edited by MrsBarlow; 01-21-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Beginner learning bike?