General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another moving to California thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:13 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Another moving to California thread

My apologies, I've searched I swear I have, but there seems to be some opposing information out there for some of these situations...

Seems like a good chance that we will be moving to Southern CA this summer. Bike is a 2014 Dyna FXDB, registered in VA where we are currently registered as residents. We are not CA residents bringing in an out of state bike.

The bike will have less than 7500 miles.

When I apply for registration, will they actually conduct a smog test or will they simply be looking for a label. I do not believe I have the CA label on the bike but will check this evening.

If all they will be doing is checking the label will I be ok leaving aftermarket parts on or do they generally look over the bike. I do run external breather system on the AC and Python Throwback exhaust (similar to V&H Shorts).

below is one of the items from the CA DMV that has confused me.

Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:18 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

There are already too many people in SoCal. Stay home.:-)

Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Will check the label, no aftermarket exhaust without carb certification on a 2014. No smog but bike will have to be inspected by a CHP Officer. Some are cool and some are not. I brought an out of state bike in and instead of going to the inspection office 4 miles away, I drove 35 miles because the Officer at the local one is known to be a dick

As long as you had the bike registered in your home state in your name, you can bring it in with less than 7500 miles on it

Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,672 Likes on 700 Posts

You are bringing a vehicle you already own...no restrictions. Just show that it was yours in the other state by showing that states registration in your name. No smog necessary.

Restrictions apply if you are a CA resident and buy a vehicle from out of state.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
You are bringing a vehicle you already own...no restrictions. Just show that it was yours in the other state by showing that states registration in your name. No smog necessary.

Restrictions apply if you are a CA resident and buy a vehicle from out of state.
Thank you that was the simplicity I needed. Yes it's registered in my name in my current home state. Just wanted to see if I needed to put stock exhaust and AC on before registering.

I've lived in various areas of CA before and mostly enjoyed it. We intend to be in the Palm Springs/Desert area so traffic not too bad. Good riding for both MC and bicycle.

As a dual citizen US and CDN I used to always tell my wife that for the cost of living and taxes we paid in California I might as well be back in Canada where at least I had medical coverage... We've lived in Washington State, Nevada, CA, Colorado, and now for the last 5 years VA.

But we do like CA very much, the people, etc. Will be tough from a quality of life standpoint considering that we're in a very rural area of VA right now. Cheap cost of living, taxes, we both have strong incomes and such but she's ready to go back out west and frankly so am I. Now we just need to start job hunting over the next few months.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

The motorcycle endorsement test in California is no joke. Not sure if you have to take the test if you already have the endorsement from a different state.

Riding out here is pretty good. Drivers tend to be very cool towards motorcycles although like everywhere else there is the occasional inattentive driver to watch out for.

I cannot imagine why anyone would settle in So Cal with the taxes and the Democrats. I'd leave if it weren't for the fact that I spent the last 18 years building my law practice.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:48 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
The motorcycle endorsement test in California is no joke. Not sure if you have to take the test if you already have the endorsement from a different state.

Riding out here is pretty good. Drivers tend to be very cool towards motorcycles although like everywhere else there is the occasional inattentive driver to watch out for.
Thanks! Guess I need to look that up as well. I know when I moved from CO to VA my endorsement came with me, and when I moved a long time ago from WA to CA I did not take a driver's test but can't remember if I had my endorsement back then (didn't have a bike at the time).

Old 01-17-2015, 09:56 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Welcome to Cali. Lots of really nice riding in all directions from PS. I hope you find jobs locally and don't have to commute though-traffic during the week REALLY sucks if you're heading towards LA.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:12 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Also, your bike will be inspected by DMV to verify the VIN and engine numbers. But they don't care about pipes or any other modifications. Before you get here go online and make an appt. or you will sit in DMV for hours.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:41 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chuckw2
Welcome to Cali. Lots of really nice riding in all directions from PS. I hope you find jobs locally and don't have to commute though-traffic during the week REALLY sucks if you're heading towards LA.
Thanks so much, yeah I'll bet it does! We've been there many times, and I've cycled throughout the area with a local bicycle club so I know the beautiful riding opportunities on the MC. I'm hopeful that we'll find something nearby, and we've just started to look since we've basically just made the final decision to go once our son is out for the school year. I've been in the hospitality business for over 20yrs so it may take some time for me. My wife is in accounting and has been the controller for a multi faceted company for the last 5yrs. Everyone needs accounting!

Originally Posted by dribble
Also, your bike will be inspected by DMV to verify the VIN and engine numbers. But they don't care about pipes or any other modifications. Before you get here go online and make an appt. or you will sit in DMV for hours.
Excellent advice, thanks so much.

Quick Reply: Another moving to California thread