General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife cries when I ride....This isn't good :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:32 AM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Delete. Tried to reply to a different thread and I must have scrolled too far down on the mobile site. Replied to this old "related" thread instead.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:25 PM
ihv800
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not a situation I have much insight to offer, but thought I'd offer up my views. Riding is a risk, as are lot of other things we do everyday. However, the OP and many others are fortunate to have a significant other that worries that much about them. Yes, it might be burdensome, but it's not something to take for granted.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:40 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,592 Likes on 3,032 Posts

Originally Posted by eichacsj
My wife use to ride with me. So I asked her take a riding coarse so she knows what is going on and hopefully get her own. She took the course, crashed and now won't get close to it.

She is still okay with me riding.
I've counciled tons of students on the range after a crash. Some want to continue and some let motorcycling beat them. It's always their choice to continue or not. Some come back another day and try again. Hope your wife wasn't hurt.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:03 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

My wife lost a fiance from a bike accident. She will not ride with me, but tolerates me riding. She isn't crazy about it, but deals with it. I am sensitive to her emotions and ride as safely as I can. No shorts, not T-shirts, always a helmet. Hate it, but if that's what it takes to keep riding, I have to bite the bullet and do it.

I don't envy your situation, but I understand it.

Best wishes..

Old 12-30-2016, 12:24 AM
VegasGeorge
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fox chaser
Get her a 5 million dollar life insurance policy on yourself (she being the beneficiary obviously), and a box of chocolates. I think she'll letcha ride.
+1 on that. But, I would add a good sized disability policy just to sweeten the pot.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:59 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
I've counciled tons of students on the range after a crash. Some want to continue and some let motorcycling beat them. It's always their choice to continue or not. Some come back another day and try again. Hope your wife wasn't hurt.
right leg from knee down was black, it was so badly bruised but nothing broken. Thanks for your concern.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:22 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 610 Posts

I didn't read all the replies but something struck me as odd. It may have already be covered, but if you can't sit for more than 20 minutes due to a medical condition, how do you expect to ride a motorcycle?

The following users liked this post:
Deuuuce (01-03-2017)
Old 12-31-2016, 11:16 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,592 Likes on 3,032 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I didn't read all the replies but something struck me as odd. It may have already be covered, but if you can't sit for more than 20 minutes due to a medical condition, how do you expect to ride a motorcycle?
Get an enduro or adv motorcycle! Stand up anytime!

Yeah, I'm an enabler like that.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:01 PM
GreginMo
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You're not alone in this

At 16 I rode my dads Honda street bike for a year before I even had a car to drive. Even to the midnight shift as a dishwasher in December in the snow. I always wanted to own a Harley but the money wasn't there until I was almost 30 and bought a Sportster new. I put 14,000 miles on it in 14 months until a dump truck left turned in front of me.

I hit him head on so hard it broke the front jug on my motor. There was no time to react. I saw him sitting there with his turn signal on but never dreamed he'd dump the clutch when he did. I think I barely had a chance to counter steer but that's it. Shattered pelvis took out the femoral artery and I bled out. Being a mile from the hospital, they scraped me up ran me into the ER and plugged me in for a complete oil change. After telling my family I was surely going to die, they changed the story to I'll never walk again. My then girlfriend (now wife) was on the back and had a broken left leg, foot and pelvis but never lost consciousness through it all. Thanks to a great orthopedic surgeon I was walking within a year. 20 years of walking around with one leg just a little longer than the other has torn up my left knee to the point I've been on crutches the last week though.

Other family members do make the decision to get back on the horse a tough one. I always knew I would ride again. The hard part for me will be when my mother finds out (yes, I'm in my fifties, but respect never changes). My wife has been OK with it, but says she won't ride with me until our 12 year old moves out because 'he can't afford to lose both of us'. My cousin bought a Sportster last Summer and I stored it for him and had full privileges. Riding again got me looking and I bought my own last week, right before my knee went out. It sits here, waiting for the weather to break and me to go see the Doc about this knee. I don't know if any of this will help you or not but I guess writing it helps me. I don't want to hurt the people around me, but I ride. I will stick mostly to the back roads and the sunny afternoons now so it won't be my main transportation like it was but after 20 years without, I'll take it.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:51 PM
darthintel
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bike I just bought is painted what appears to be just like yours .....

Quick Reply: Wife cries when I ride....This isn't good :(