General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife cries when I ride....This isn't good :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

I ride to work way more often than not. LOL part of the reason was the 1%'er here was the only serious rider. I guess it was a respect thing, to show I'm serious too. He since retired, I'm the last serious rider left in this plant.

Riding to work is over-rated. Stop & go bumper to bumper on the interstate. Yeah fun. To get around that I flexed my hours so I'm not in that. Ironic just 30 minutes changes up the whole ride dynamic

Old 11-30-2016, 04:34 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Be thankful you have a wife that loves you and does not want anything to happen to you.
So many marriages are in name only, to have a marriage that strong is a plus.

FWIW, I would park the bike during the winter months, not riding for two or three months will not hurt you, it WILL give your Mrs. some piece of mind. Come spring when the days are longer she will be less apprehensive about you throwing your leg over your trusty steed. My .02 cents.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I love my wife and she is more important to me than riding. Not to say that riding isn't part of who I am, but I would rather lose the bike than the wife. Already been through that scenario.

No idea if you have gotten the ultimatum from her or not, but maybe it's time for convertible Z06 Corvette. I could handle that.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:47 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,760 Likes on 3,117 Posts

Have your wife take a basic rider course. Knowledge alleviates fear. In fact, take it with her. This way, she'll see that you're serious about safety.

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I love my wife and she is more important to me than riding. Not to say that riding isn't part of who I am, but I would rather lose the bike than the wife. Already been through that scenario.

No idea if you have gotten the ultimatum from her or not, but maybe it's time for convertible Z06 Corvette. I could handle that.
While the Z06 is a awesome car (yes, I'm biased!) You'll only be able to drive it on the street as no track that I know of (in the USA,) will allow a car at that power level on the track that is a convertible. (Unless a roll cage is installed.)
I'd opt for the Grand Sport in a vert, as it looks like a "Z" without the blower (and 190 add'l HP.)
It's still a fast car. Besides, that last 200HP isn't really useable on the street anyways. But, oh what fun!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-18-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:02 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,225 Likes on 3,756 Posts

Stiggy I only read your original post, so this might have been mentioned, but if I were in your situation I would probably sell the bike and get a nice convertible.

I couldn't bear to have my wife feeling that distressed.

Jim

Old 12-01-2016, 10:25 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Stiggy - I'm sure you've heard the saying:
"Happy Wife.....Happy Life"
as Dee stated, find a compromise and you'll both be happier! Ride Safe!

RKLobo

Old 12-02-2016, 06:43 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Totally respect your wife and her fears, but I'd still go out and ride w/o bashing her. I've told my lady that you are not to stop me from riding cuz we can die any time, anywhere. She fully understood and rode with me for the last 10 years until she became a grandma. Now, Her riding days have diminished ever since and respects my love towards to motorcycling.

My sincere kudos to every women who lets their guy, boyfriend or hubby out to ride.

Thank you,

Thorey

Old 12-29-2016, 08:42 AM
JWP07
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Loved my scout...great bike and would probably take that over Sportster. Traded in last year for Heritage, wanted something that I could tour with and still feel comfortable with a commute. Love my Heritage, but for commuting I think I would go with the scout.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:56 AM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Have your wife take a basic rider course. Knowledge alleviates fear. In fact, take it with her. This way, she'll see that you're serious about safety.
My wife use to ride with me. So I asked her take a riding coarse so she knows what is going on and hopefully get her own. She took the course, crashed and now won't get close to it.

She is still okay with me riding.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 AM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

My wife loves Harley's but won't ride any bike as she had a nasty spill when she was younger. Doesn't mind if I ride though.

Quick Reply: Wife cries when I ride....This isn't good :(