General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife cries when I ride....This isn't good :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:14 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Dude - no offense but with everything you've been thru, I think the writing in on the wall to find another hobby, not to also say that you should be respecting your wife wishes with her request to give up the bike.
God forbid something does happen to you, your spouse is going to have to live with the decision you made.
Best with your choice.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:34 PM
MrsBarlow
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to sit down and have a conversation with your wife.

Right now, she's presenting her side without actually discussing what she's feeling. She's actually using guilt to have you give in to her fears. She's not discussing her fears...and she needs to. Once that happens you can at least attempt come to a conclusion that works for both of you.

On your side, you need to acknowledge her feelings, not discount them and honestly work towards presenting a solution that works for both of you.

While I understand her fears, I also have a belief that if we're not careful about how we deal with fear, it will end up controlling our lives.

The following users liked this post:
FattyMcJ (05-18-2017)
Old 01-17-2015, 12:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,450 Likes on 17,680 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsBarlow

Right now, she's presenting her side without actually discussing what she's feeling. She's actually using guilt to have you give in to her fears. She's not discussing her fears...and she needs to. Once that happens you can at least attempt come to a conclusion that works for both of you.

On your side, you need to acknowledge her feelings, not discount them and honestly work towards presenting a solution that works for both of you.

While I understand her fears, I also have a belief that if we're not careful about how we deal with fear, it will end up controlling our lives.

This right here , best comment yet. Tough spot to be in Stig and woman are masters of the doe eyed guilt trip, good luck buddy.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,470 Likes on 5,664 Posts

Originally Posted by tom84fxst
firm believer of when it's your time.

this... 100%.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:56 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Dude - no offense but with everything you've been thru, I think the writing in on the wall to find another hobby, not to also say that you should be respecting your wife wishes with her request to give up the bike.
God forbid something does happen to you, your spouse is going to have to live with the decision you made.
Best with your choice.

But I had a bike before I had a car back in '69. I've owned more bikes than I can remember off the top of my head. Owned my own aftermarket bike shop too (for 7 years,) and have worked for (4) HD Dealerships over the years. As my grown daughter has said, it was never a question in her mind that I'd be back on a bike after that wreck.

Really? Seems like it may be more than a hobby to this guy. Maybe you should advise Dale Jr. or Trey Canard to quit racing while you're at it. Maybe she should have thought about marrying a guy who's life revolves around motorcycles.

Interesting because after a bad crash that was my doing and almost losing my leg, my wife said that she would have thought less of me if I didn't go back to it. That's when she decided that she wanted to ride with me.

Last edited by dribble; 01-17-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Stiggy I hear ya and she has a point but so do you. It's in your Dna.
She loves ya man. Good luck to you both.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:19 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,749 Likes on 672 Posts

Well put.

And, to the poster who said: "I think the writing in on the wall to find another hobby"

That poster doesn't get it. Riding, for some, is not a "hobby", it's part of who we are.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:23 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Your last accident was on that would scare anyone off a bike, not to mention have a wife in constant worry.

Have you ever considered track and motocross riding? Not competitive. Just for fun. Maybe that will scratch the itch.

Not saying she's right. Just saying she has a point.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,525 Likes on 6,272 Posts

My wife was an ER nurse, and called motorcycles donorcycles. I started riding after being married 22 years in 2003. Now she likes to ride 2 up.

I have good life and disability insurance. I do avoid night riding, because of all the deer around here.

I figure my wife would miss me for a while, but cheer up spending my life insurance.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:46 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

This right here.

Quick Reply: Wife cries when I ride....This isn't good :(