General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife cries when I ride....This isn't good :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:09 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope everything turns out ok for you.Totalled my 08 Ultra on I-57 at 70mph,went thru some of the things you're going thru, bought me a 13 Ultra last year and Am still riding.The way I look at life is no matter what I do if its not my time than I'm not going, if its my time well than can't do anything about it.Best of luck in what ever your decision is,just think about your loved ones too.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:23 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a dilemma that you alone has to take care of. Personally I will ride after dark only if I have to.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:27 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 211 Likes on 122 Posts

Here's the thing......after all the accidents and close calls you've already been through you could slip in the shower hit your head and that could be the end. I think when "it's your time", "it's your time" and you have no control over that so you may as well continue to do what makes you happy and complete.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:46 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 128 Posts

I live out of the city like you do. Deer are a constant hazard. We were watching three this morning out of the window while eating breakfast. I am sure they made it to the road.
But I do like to commute on my bike. I start early, so riding in the dark in winter is a given. It does give me a huge jump on traffic.

Your wife loves you and is concerned. Put yourself in her position and maybe you will better understand.

I have never had an accident on a bike, and only two auto accidents in over 40 years of driving. But if the bike goes down hard and I live to discuss it, I think my wife may feel like yours does.

You have obviously been together a long time and you and her have to work this out.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:26 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by fred08hd
Maybe you should consider taking the car/truck to work and ride only on weekends. It might help ease her mind some. I know about hitting animals, a deer jump in front of me 5 yrs ago, early morning 6 am. I'm sure glad I rode my truck that morning instead of my harley. Just my 2 cents worth.
I agree with this. My 24 mile commute route was full of nothing but coffee drinking, lane jockeying, texting, phone talking idiots. It just got too stressful to ride everyday, so I rode on slow commute days like during the Christmas and Easter break and summer holiday breaks.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:32 AM
DaveTheButcher
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstances. I had a pretty bad accident about 2 years ago now, and for quite a while my wife was very apprehensive about me riding. I remember being pulled out of the ambulance on the stretcher and her just breaking down into tears. We discussed it a lot at length and ultimately she was able to get over the immediate fear of me riding, although I know that every time I leave the house she worries.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:36 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Before I retired I'd seldom rode to work, There used to be 15,000 people at the factory where I worked and the Morning and Evening traffic was like a Mad house in a jungle.

There was a wreck almost every day somewhere because so many people was in such a hurry to get to and from work. I was rear-ended 3 times in my 38 yrs working at the plants

Same way with the Deer, most know they move more at sun-up and sun-down..
So I avoid those Hr when the wife and I ride. Actually 95% of our riding is between 2-6 pm.. and 60% of that is on country roads just putting around..

Thinking just ride when the odds are in your favor if you can....

Enjoy you new bike...AND ride safe..

Old 01-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,141 Likes on 5,604 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeTD3
Here's the thing......after all the accidents and close calls you've already been through you could slip in the shower hit your head and that could be the end. I think when "it's your time", "it's your time" and you have no control over that so you may as well continue to do what makes you happy and complete.

I think you would be safer sitting home on the couch watching TV...firm believer of when it's your time.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:22 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,875 Likes on 1,728 Posts

I'm with the "when it's your time" crowd.

In a couple of months, I will 45 years of two-wheeled riding, and thankfully without a serious accident.

I also live in rural area, which is great for riding, and through the years (and close calls) with traffic and wildlife, I try to avoid early morning/night riding.

SO, two years ago, mid-afternoon, on a bright sunny day, I had just pulled onto our two-lane county road, headed north and was still upshifting gears when I noticed a southbound, double-bottom gravel hauler coming towards me.
As the driver came around a slight curve, the rear trailer dropped over the curb and when the driver attempted to correct the problem, the rear trailer sort of "whip-lashed" (if that's the proper term) and started swaying like a tail on a kite!
With all of the dust it stirred up, I lost sight of the rear trailer.
I rode off the road onto the gravel shoulder on my side of the road (at 50MPH or so) and prepared to ditch my bike.
My fear was that the trailer had flipped or was in my lane.

Thankfully, as the rear trailer passed me, it was upright and over the center-line a few feet, but hey, "no harm, no foul".

Bottom line is (at least for me) is to do whatever you can, as safely as you can, for as long as you can. NO ONE lives forever.

Be safe!

Old 01-17-2015, 11:55 AM
fox chaser
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Tough break! You do realize that you gotta compromise in these situations. Get her a 5 million dollar life insurance policy on yourself (she being the beneficiary obviously), and a box of chocolates. I think she'll letcha ride. Mine would love it. She considers me disposable like an old pen that's out of ink(if you get my drift).

Quick Reply: Wife cries when I ride....This isn't good :(