General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife cries when I ride....This isn't good :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 07:26 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,529 Likes on 1,153 Posts

I'm a believer that there's a date and time on a calendar and no matter what you are doing it's gonna get us. Imho.

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Focker RN
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

As Hootie once said...
"let her cry if the tears fall down like rain.
Let her sing if it eases all her pain."

Old 05-18-2017, 11:58 AM
John S
Club Member

Received 7,790 Likes on 3,577 Posts

Hey, mine is convinced that once I get another bike I'm going to find some 'tattoo'd biker chick' and ride off with her. It doesn't do any good to point out that if I wanted to leave I have a perfectly good Buick already.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Focker RN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by John S
Hey, mine is convinced that once I get another bike I'm going to find some 'tattoo'd biker chick' and ride off with her. It doesn't do any good to point out that if I wanted to leave I have a perfectly good Buick already.
+1 for the Buick!
Man, I miss my Park Avenue.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Mars47
Road Captain

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Trying to put myself into your shoes...if my wife did that...

Three options:
1. Shes gone.
2. She sucks it up.
3. You give up the bike, but you get to build yourself a hot rod AND buy a boat.

I would opt for 2 or 3, but I'd tell her: If I had a nice fishing boat or pontoon, I would take that out instead of riding all the time, plus you could come with me and catch some sun while I fish. Yeah....thats definitely what I would do given this situation. #2 is just going to lead to tension in the relationship, and it'll come out again one day.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:00 PM
Focker RN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mars47
Trying to put myself into your shoes...if my wife did that...

Three options:
1. Shes gone.
2. She sucks it up.
3. You give up the bike, but you get to build yourself a hot rod AND buy a boat.

I would opt for 2 or 3, but I'd tell her: If I had a nice fishing boat or pontoon, I would take that out instead of riding all the time, plus you could come with me and catch some sun while I fish. Yeah....thats definitely what I would do given this situation. #2 is just going to lead to tension in the relationship, and it'll come out again one day.
Mine got options 1 & 2 when she changed her mind after we started riding last year. Oh, she LOVED it at first. Then her overbearing dad told her she didn't have any business on the back of one because something "might" happen. Then she started harping on me about selling. I lovingly told her hell no. She was welcome to stay home when I rode, but she's the one that encouraged the first Harley purchase and now I'm hooked. If something happens, it happens. Life insurance will take care of the rest. The life insurance part makes her happy that I ride.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Green Dart
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 168 Posts

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this thread was here. I became re-interested in riding again, very recently. In the past my wife was not thrilled with the idea of me riding. But I was never in a place to buy a bike. I started talking about again a few months ago. I guess she was in total denial about it because she was really PISSED when it was delivered. I mean, I cleaned out a space in the garage for it, talked about the emails I traded with the HD shop (Thunderbird HD, great service & staff there), etc...

So I tried to explain, this is something that I really wanted. This is something that she would never consent to... So, after all my talking about it, I did not ask for permission. My money (from the bastards at the VA), my body, my insurance (for her) - heh... and I bought the bike. It's not like a new XL1200C was going to break the bank either.

Well, three weeks have gone by and she still hasn't stepped foot into the garage, but the atmosphere is at least back to being good in the house again. Bear in mind, we've been married for 30+ years and raised 4 kids together.

I've put aside a lot for my family, and I still help the kids (young adults) with plane tickets, car parts, etc. This time I did something for me. Hello, my name is George and I own a Harley-Davidson motorcycle....

Old 05-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Dart
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this thread was here. I became re-interested in riding again, very recently. In the past my wife was not thrilled with the idea of me riding. But I was never in a place to buy a bike. I started talking about again a few months ago. I guess she was in total denial about it because she was really PISSED when it was delivered. I mean, I cleaned out a space in the garage for it, talked about the emails I traded with the HD shop (Thunderbird HD, great service & staff there), etc...

So I tried to explain, this is something that I really wanted. This is something that she would never consent to... So, after all my talking about it, I did not ask for permission. My money (from the bastards at the VA), my body, my insurance (for her) - heh... and I bought the bike. It's not like a new XL1200C was going to break the bank either.

Well, three weeks have gone by and she still hasn't stepped foot into the garage, but the atmosphere is at least back to being good in the house again. Bear in mind, we've been married for 30+ years and raised 4 kids together.

I've put aside a lot for my family, and I still help the kids (young adults) with plane tickets, car parts, etc. This time I did something for me. Hello, my name is George and I own a Harley-Davidson motorcycle....
That sucks.. take a safety course and it might help ease her mind a bit? I've been married for 20 years now and I can't go for a ride without the wife wanting to come! She usually talks ME into going for a ride.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

My wife's dad was a Pagen. She grew up on the back of a bike riding the streets of Philadelphia. She will ride anywhere with me and do just about anything with me. She has been a great wife the last 17 yrs!

Old 05-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Billy W
Road Master
Received 717 Likes on 405 Posts

After my wreck 11 years ago I wasn't sure I'd ever ride again. My wife and I had been hanging around guys from my old club. They wanted me back so she gave me her blessing and I bought my bike. I was riding the hell out of my Triumph doing 14,500 miles in a year and a half. I promised her I wouldn't commute to work. She was happy with that but she stills worries!

Quick Reply: Wife cries when I ride....This isn't good :(