General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pipes update!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New pipes update!!

Just got off the phone with thunderbird scooters here in Colorado. They have been working on Harleys for 30 years. They opened their shop in 2000. Seems the stealership is trying to make me get all this stuff not needed. I can get the big shots staggered for my Fatty for $531. They said just do the air cleaner and pipes and I am done. They said the download and race tuner are not needed. The brain works just fine with the pipes. He did 7 bikes Saturday and everone left happy. Hmmm. Dealer wanted $1800 they want $750 installed!!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:53 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New pipes update!!

if it's a 07 it will just adjust it back to stock (too lean to begin with)config.you need the fuel mangement to rich it up and cool it off. that what the word around here is

Old 04-17-2007, 02:19 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would want some type of fuel management. Like Jeff said, they come from the factory lean. You add the air cleaner and pipes you're going to be even more lean.

Cheapest thing for you would be a PCIII pre-programmed from fuel moto. You can install that yourself. If you can plug in a light, you can plug in a commander.

Why pay all that and not allow your bike to run optimal?

If you want noise just buy a pair of slipons and call it a day.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

The PCIII? Now what exactly is that and how much is it? Now from what these guys are saying it should run optimal. But if the PCIII is reasonable I will do that too. The guy at Thunderbird says he does pipe after pipe on Harleys and the brain adjusts just fine with new pipes and an air cleaner. He says the Race tuner is not needed if you are looking for sound. Still a newbie here guys. Just want it done right too. Seems these guys have a lot of experience and great reputation at Thunderbird.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:37 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Was just waiting for some response. Maybe Thunderbird was right after all. Do you really need a race tuner, download etc, just for pipes? Seems no argument? I don't need speed. Just want good sound. If I can save a grand I will. Marty from Thunderbird said he has been friends with the guy that invented the brain for Harley and the V&H pipes will work fine just the way they are. I am still new at this and want it done right but don't want to get screwed by the dealer. If I go Pipes and air cleaner will I be okay? Should I do a PCIII too? Going to stop by tomorrow and talk to them.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 AM
BIGBADCANE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eveyone I know that runs after market pipes on the EFI models installs some type of fuel management system on theri bike. Personally I like to V&H system, it is simple to use. My friends owns a custom bike shop and he always recommneds the extra system for the fule management. Don't burn your bike up, the warranty won't cover it if it runs too lean and goes into meltdown in the summer.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:37 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Just got back from Thunderbird Scooters here in Wheat Ridge, Co. They have been in business for 31 years. I told them I wanted the fuel management system with my new V&H Big Radius's and he talked me out of it. He said there is absolutly no need. When you plug the pipes in everything in the brain reads just fine. He said when Harley started selling the race tuners etc that everyone jumped on the bandwagon and said you have to have them.He had about 12 Harley's outside he is selling. Half of them he put new pipes on with nothing but a new K&N air cleaner and they all sound great. A couple guys came in and they told me that theirs were running without the fuel management system too and their bikes sounded and ran great. I'm not about the performance I just want the sound. Well they are going to be installed on Monday. I will let you know how it performs and sounds. Sounds like if I want to get the fuel management system down the roadit's easy to install and only a few hundred bucks anyway. Any other advice and input I would love to hear. This guy is pretty credible mechanic who has been working on bikes for years. Can't wait to lose the slip ons!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 04:42 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Just one point to add. I did tell him I wanted the Fuel management system and he said no. Why would anyone want to turn down a sale? He knows it is a brand new bike with only 300 miles on it and has a 2 year warranty. He is not worried at all about anything going wrong. Sounds just like a good honest mechanic that I was reffered too by a friend anyway. $750 out the door is so much better than $1800 from the stealership

Old 04-18-2007, 04:49 PM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep an eye on your spark plugs. If they run a nice even light gray, your ok. If they run white, too lean. If they run black, too rich. The proof is in the plug condition.....

Old 04-18-2007, 04:54 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the advice volsfan! I will do that.Like the pipes. Can't wait to see em on my fat boy!!

Quick Reply: New pipes update!!