General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 AM
RKGary
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

ORIGINAL: orangecrush

I think it's a two way street (no pun intended) The passer should have the courtesy to wait until either

a) he has a legal way to pass

or

b) you wave him by allowing him to pass.

Having said that, if you're on a twisty road that bikes tend to frequent, I think you (or anyone riding) should extend that same courtesy to someone that wants to go around. No one said pull over and stop... just pull to the right a bit and wave him on.

Some HD riders won't do it. I think that's just being ignorant. If it's safe for you to pull a bit to the side for a moment, why ruin someone's else's ride just cause they want to go faster.

Respect for other riders goes a long way.

Good statement, I agree.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:58 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm no expert and you have more miles than me, but I agree with you. I wouldn't appreciate someone passing me in my lane, especially on a windy road.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been racing motocross and off road for allot of years...
I learned there is always someone faster than me......
I also learned there are allot of stupid people out there.....
I learned that I do not want those people behind me....

IF someone is faster than me or wants to commute in such a way that I am holding them back.
I WILL move over andWAVE that person by.

I have let sport bikers by on narrow single track roads many times and got the "thank you" wave as they passed.

Now if someidiot just pushes themself by in my lane with out my approval (which hasNEVER happened to me) then I would be a bit pissed off but I would let it go because getting mad and trying to handle things like that will end in a bad situation.

Every person is different in how they would handle the situation.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:14 PM
tireater
Banned

I must ride kinda fast - HARDLY EVER GET PASSED..! SINGLE LANE, DOUBLE, WHATEVER..

Old 04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm okay with letting them by when i'm ready and wave them through.I'll go by only if theywave me through. It's by invite only in both situations and dangerous to me if forced or unexpected. Sorry, you have to be a fool to pass a guy in his lane not knowing if he's watching you or expecting you to pass him. He could swerve to miss anything he thinks he sees in the road or just wonder sloppily not paying attention to anything more than his lane boundries. The only way you know for sure is if he invites you by.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:25 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I unwrap the 12' logging chian from my neck,, swing over head 2 complete circles then let him have it , right across that $440 Arai full face helmet, take that your Brokeback Mtn. wannabe biker!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

just yesterday I came up a Honda CBR 1000RR (sport bike) The guymust have recently picked it up since it still had the plastic on the temptags and the dealer is right down the rode.He acnoledge he saw me behind him (safe distance) then when the speed limit went from 35 to 45 he went to the far and waved me by.

I was perfectly happy to be behind but when he indicated that he was comfortable letting a pass in he lane then I had no problem thinking about it.

The last thing you want to do is share a lane/pass and have the other bikerswerve (debris/etc) and take you out. We have a lot of road construction and do not like to ride that close to another bike just so I do have "evasivemanuever room".

Old 04-17-2007, 01:23 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

I think you're totally in the right. If you're not comfortable with it, you shouldn't do it. It's the whole concept of Right Of Way and yielding. Right of way is not what one rider or driver has over another rider or driver; right of way is what the one rider or driver gives up (yields)to another rider or driver. That guy on the Blue Ridge parkway had no right by law to pass the other riders until they waved him on, and the fact that they didn't doesn't make them jerks. It makes the Ducati rider a jerk for not following the rules of the road as well as common courtesy. Furthermore, since he crossed the solid yellow he's breaking the law anyways, and therefore, he's a foolish moron.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If I see them I will wave them by if they don't choose to fly by me first. I will move over to the right as well and let them "pick up the tab" if there are any cops up ahead. Just my way of thinking about it. I used to be the one flying by on the sport bike. I feel lucky to still be alive and riding...

Old 04-17-2007, 01:48 PM
KenM
Road Master

I had a RK behind me last year and he was travelling faster then I was. I kept t the right and waved him by. He did pass but was on the line. Friendly wave and he was off to the races.

Quick Reply: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane