General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:01 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in California it's legal and riders do it all the time.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Wilinfla
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I think it's a two way street (no pun intended) The passer should have the courtesy to wait until either

a) he has a legal way to pass

or

b) you wave him by allowing him to pass.

Having said that, if you're on a twisty road that bikes tend to frequent, I think you (or anyone riding) should extend that same courtesy to someone that wants to go around. No one said pull over and stop... just pull to the right a bit and wave him on.

Some HD riders won't do it. I think that's just being ignorant. If it's safe for you to pull a bit to the side for a moment, why ruin someone's else's ride just cause they want to go faster.
Respect for other riders goes a long way

Orangecrush said it perfectly. I find cruiser riders to be the worst as far as moving over and letting faster riders through. I have been riding for 35+ years, I ride both Harley and sport touring bikes. It is really annoying when you come upon a group of cruisers who are going less than the speed limit and refuse to let you by safely. These must be the same guys going 55mph in the fast lane of the interstate! If you are riding in a group and want to go slow, that's fine, just show some courtesy for your fellow riders and wave them through. I have even pulled over for cars when I am just enjoying the scenery and don't feel like pushing it, it all comes down to common sense and respect.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:12 PM
HDRider78154
Tourer

I have never been passed in my own lane and I don't want it to ever happen. Too dangerous.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:19 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilinfla
Originally Posted by orangecrush

If it's safe for you to pull a bit to the side for a moment, why ruin someone's else's ride just cause they want to go faster.
Respect for other riders goes a long way
If someone doesn't have the courage to get in the oncoming lane to pass, then they shouldn't be riding at all, much less riding faster than me.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:58 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

That kind of riding should be done on a race track not a public roadway. JMHFO. I'm a professional driver and some of the stuff I see being done on the public roads by cages, scooters and trucks amazes me on a daily basis and has me shaking my head in disbelief.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:25 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
Here in California it's legal and riders do it all the time.
tiz here to, if you ride like a gurl you can legaly pass stop you & give you a slap, for takin up road space, also if you wear anything reflective. its the law

Old 10-19-2008, 05:19 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

I was amazed how many of these douche bags on metrics think it's ok to just whip by you in your lane. We're down in Daytona for a few days and these metrics are in a rush to go where? The next light? Many of them still sporting the dreaded temporary tag.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:39 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in florida it is legal to lane share but not to pass in the same lane. With that said, it can be done safely and the key is to be sure that the other rider is aware of you. Generally, if I come up on a rider and there is no passing area...if he moves to the right side of the lane I will roll on and give him a wave on the way by. There is no safe way to just fly on by. If you wanna get your a$$ kicked in florida, try blowing by some of us in the same lane with no common courtesy.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 AM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guitarman777
I think you're totally in the right. If you're not comfortable with it, you shouldn't do it. It's the whole concept of Right Of Way and yielding. Right of way is not what one rider or driver has over another rider or driver; right of way is what the one rider or driver gives up (yields)to another rider or driver. That guy on the Blue Ridge parkway had no right by law to pass the other riders until they waved him on, and the fact that they didn't doesn't make them jerks. It makes the Ducati rider a jerk for not following the rules of the road as well as common courtesy. Furthermore, since he crossed the solid yellow he's breaking the law anyways, and therefore, he's a foolish moron.
North Carolina law says that you ride single file and not side by side, must be staggered.
Also to pass must go into opposite lane to pass, no same lane passing, so if they dont have a broken yellow then they can not pass by law!
I just came back from the mountains with the family, unfortuntly I was driving a van with 6 others with me.
Would have loved to been on the bike, found a road just as twisty as the dragon and hardly any traffic!
There were lots of bikes up there of all kinds and they were all driving responsably, the people driving like asses were the cagers!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Alltogether too much negativity.If they want to go by let them!If I were the one coming up on you and wanted to go around, I sure would.

Quick Reply: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane