General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:01 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rcartie
I won't complain if another bike goes by me in my lane IF I see him coming up and I acknowledge his presents.
You expect presents from someone who passes in your lane? Do you stop to receive them?
I think I said this before in this thread (a year and a half ago), but if you're not man enough to take the oncoming lane to pass, you're not man enough to ride a motorcycle, period.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 AM
girlster8015
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've waved people to pass, but I notice a trend here that I don't like. People pulling up beside cars in their lane at stopsigns. They may not be bikes, but it's still their lane, stay behind them! I have also seen a few oncoming crotchrockets in my lane taking corners, yikes!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

I'm generally cool with anybody whose on a bike; even a rice burner. I get my kicks just out cruisin' the highways and byways - maybe they get theirs scrapin' their knees
If it's open highway, I usually just ease over to the right side of the lane and wave them through. Small winding roads and I'll try and signal them through if I see it's clear ahead. I'd rather have them somewhere out in front of me than hangin' on my fender
What really gets my juices boiling is some freakin' a$$hole in a cage tryin' to push his way through in the same lane as me. Happened yesterday morning, foggy conditions and, when I eyeballed the bitch she was readin' a road map while driving

Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of law - two vehicles can't occupy the same lane space. It's illegal to pass within the same lane.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 AM
goombah
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Living in California where lane sharing is allowed, we have a kind of unwritten code. I lane split most of the time when in traffic. The truth of the matter is that most of the rockets have better handling, acceleration, and braking, and are narrower than most cruisers. The vast majority of the Harley's I see will move over when a sportbike comes up behind them because they know the other bike is better in traffic. Also, it's typically a hint to move if someone catches up to you from behind, right? It's just a common courtesy, nothing to lose your life over. I often will waive faster bikes ahead of me and move over to let them pass regardless if I'm in traffic or not. Also, the rule on the roads here is if there are five vehicles behind you, you must pull over to let them pass when it is safe to do so. I don't have all the information in this instance, but if you are slowing traffic you are obligated to move and let the others by.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:27 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Happened to me last night. Guy on a rocket pulled up next to me in my lane and gave me the piece sign. I replied with a half a piece sign.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

there is'nt much you can do to stopped them .with getting in a wreck and they are the one's in the wrong. there is alot of crotch rocket's that like doing the same thing.they are not proving anything outside of sturpid and trying to get some body hurt. if you move wrong everybody goes down.and it's pretty much the law everywhere you cant do that but some dont care about the law. until they get nailed for it.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of law - two vehicles can't occupy the same lane space. It's illegal to pass within the same lane.
That's a state law you are quoting for your state. It's not that way all over, including Minnesota, where two motorcycles can ride side by side, and one can overtake the other with that rider's indication that it's okay (such as waving them by). California allows lane splitting, where you can ride between two lines of cars. Down in Texas people pull over to the shoulder and let you go by (don't know if that's a law, but that's what they do ! )

Here's our law from our Mn traffic site regarding this:

Splitting traffic is illegal. No one except on-duty police officers may ride between lanes of traffic or in the same lane with other vehicles. It is legal for two motorcyclists to ride side-by-side in the same lane if both riders agree to it beforehand.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 09-30-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM
rprpclark
Cruiser

I try to use common courtesy and common sense: I ease right and wave'em around. It's not often done to me, though.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Uoykcuf
Novice

Originally Posted by atomic
So I am on the Ducati board and they are bashing Harley riders left in right. One guys says he was driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway and a bunch of Harley Riders were doing the speed limit and they wouldn't pull over the right side of their lane so he could pass them in their lane. So he had to pass the unskilled riders by going over the yellow line. Then he bitched because he gave him the finger.

I took exception to this. I am not going to let anyone I don't know pass me in my own lane. Especially on a windy mountain road like the Blue Ridge Parkway. They say I don't know how to ride a motorcycle and bashed me. Am I in the wrong here. I have ridden over 75,000 miles and no bike has ever passed me in my own lane.

This sound dangerous and disrespectul.
Never move to CA then... Lane sharing is the rule, not the exception...

Commonplace here and I'd expect it if I was holding up more than a few vehicles, bikes/cars/RV's/etc...

Get over it Francis...

Quick Reply: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane