General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:32 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by brillowolf
Behind you they are dangerous. In front of you they are entertainment.

I personally enjoy watching sportbikes blitz down a mountain road. I just move over and watch them go. It's one of the main reasons I ride in themountains. I typically catch up to quite a few Harleys when I'm in the mountains too. Unfortunately, most of the riders I see taking horrible lines through corners happen to be the Harley riders. The MSF doesn't teach everything about riding. Most should take some more advanced classes.
Lot's of truth in dat dere post !

As a MSF instructor (former), I always tried to stress common sense and courtesy. Unfortunately, both are commonly uncommon.

Couple Points:

1) A cyclist is entitled to the full use of a lane of traffic, but moving over in your lane and waving by another cyclist is courteous riding. Plus, it's better to have an idiot in front of you than behind you.

But passing anyone in their own lane without them waving you by is equally discourteous, and downright dangerous is they don't see you coming.

2) The worst tailgaiters in the world are a group of bikers riding together, even in staggered formation. That same group of riders driving slower than the speed limit is a road hazard to other drivers, who then become frustrated being held up behind them.

3) Those who are constantly surprised by other riders or cagers blowing by them aren't checking their mirrors often enough. As a biker, one of the most important things to know is what is behind you.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 09-21-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but fyi the maximum speed limit, if I remember right, on the entire BRP is 45 mph. Maybe someone who lives in that area can verify that.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:25 PM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure glad that most if not all you that will not let somebody pass in YOUR lane don't live in so cal.
we have many sport bikes and 4 wheel drive trucks also and I will always move over if I am holding them up. I also expect any harley rider to get the heck out of the way when I am going faster then he/they think I should go.
just common courtesty or maybe not so common..
but then I am old and didn't get old by deing a butt head..well maybe I should ask my wife ..

Old 09-21-2008, 05:44 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree. If you're cool with it, pull to the right and let the organ donor pass you. Don't make it a harder situation than it is. The less time he's around you, the better.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:56 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So whats the deal....if your just tooling along at the speed limit, your automatically a "unskilled rider"...? It couldn't be that the people on the HD's were doing the speed limit because they were not in a hurry could it?

Personally I would rather people I dont know stay the hell away from me when I am riding.....not crawl up my *** trying to pass me in my own lane. If the road signage and painted lines allow passing, then let the other bikers pass at the appropriate time.....just like when I want to pass a cage.....I wait until I am in a passing zone and then make the move. If there was no passing on this road, and the other biker decided to make a illegal pass....then he best keep going fast, because when I catch up to him, he is going to get a ration of **** from me!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:35 PM
kenlovesmelissaj
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive let ppl pass me in my lane at times but i never do it to anybody else. I guess its different strokes for different folks,,lol

Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont get in my Face, or space! l.ray

Old 09-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Might be a good idea to let them by so they can spring any speed traps that may be in front of you. Let them be the ones to get the speeding ticket, not you.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they are coming up behind me and are traveling faster than me I will pull to the right and wave them on. no big deal. There is ample room for that to happen safely.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:12 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don't mind unless they try to run me off the road. And yes I have had it happen!

Quick Reply: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane