General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:05 AM
flhx74
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

ORIGINAL: orangecrush

I said it before and I'll say it again.... it's respect and courtesy. NOT allowing someone to pass just to prove a point is just as unsafe as the idiot that blows by everyone at ridiculous speeds.
If it is completely safe and no turns around and it would be completely safe to pass me in my lane, then you can go around me in the left lane. If the road is double yellow lines or even a solid line on my side it is not safe to pass in the passing lane or mine.

Call me an idiot, I don't really give a sh*t, still doesn't change the fact.
That's one thing I would have no problem calling you.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:48 AM
Harschl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in a me first, me fast, me best world. That Jack off on the Ducati could give a Rats *** about that guy he was passing, his safety, or his livelihood. I’m surprised that the JO on the Ducati was not the flipping the HD rider off.. They believe that their bikes are built better, faster so they will use that regardless of the cost. Kind of like the Jack off’s who drive their 4 wheel drive TRUCKS 100 MPH in snow.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:06 AM
XfasteddieX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was on my heritage a few months back.i had a guy pass me on a crotch rocket backon a 4 lane highway not in my lane igot on highway from service road run up to about 90 getting on then slowed down to 80 to cruise on to work well i guess he though t i wanted to race he blew past mt over 100 . it will be a long time before he wants to race another harleyhe had no idea he was f*c*in with well over 100 hp & tq i blue past him at well over 120and still pulling hard ,not in his lane of course his eyes were as big as softfalls when i passed him .

Old 10-28-2007, 09:23 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 294 Likes on 180 Posts

I agree with 211chuck to a point, but safety should come first and I shouldnt be expected to pull over because Im not going fast enough. Ive never done tail of the dragon but have watched a few do it who web cammed it. I cant see where you can do more then 35 maybe 40 through that particular piece of road. Parts of the parkway can be just as treacherous. I think that passing anywhere in that area across double yellow is a definte invitation to disaster.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The originalpost was actually about a group of Harley riders, going the speed limit on the BRP, and aDucati rider came upbehind them. The poster said that no one in the group felt the need to moveover to let him pass, so the Duc eventually passed themon a double yellow.Apparently oneof the groupriders took offense, and gave the Ducati riderthe finger.

For the sake of comparison,imagine you areriding along on a nice curvy road, maybe doing a few mph over the posted speed limit, when you come up behind aWinnebago. And just for fun, imagine the Winnebago driver is varying his speed, faster then slower, similar to theaccordian effect one sees at the tail end of a group of bikes, (especially when there are differing skill levels in the group). The Winnebago driver knows you would like to go around,buthe makes no effort to helpyou pass. This curvy road you are on has miles and miles of double yellow lane, but you know that thereare plentyof places where your bike can easily pass. What are you going to do? Are you going to follow the Winnebago for miles and miles, pretty much ruining your ride, or are you going to wait until you can get around the slower moving vehicle and be on your way, regardless of the yellow line on the road? Everyone knows what the answer to that is.

Nowjust imagine that the Winnebago driver has decided that you don't need to ride anyfasterthan he can drive, and actually does things toblock you from passing (even crossing over the double yellow line, as the forum moderator Eastern SP suggested). He wants to make you think twice about passing Winnebagos. After a bit of this, you get frustrated, and blow by him first chance you get. As you go by the Winnebago driver gives you the finger.

What it all comes down to is courtesy and respect among all riders, regardless of what kind of bike you are riding.There are all levels of performance among motorcycles, and all levels of skill and experience among riders. If your comfort level is at a higher speed than mine, go on by brother, be safe! The last thing I'm going to do is hold you up or begrudge you enjoying yourself in exactly the same manner as I am.

I've been riding long enough that for years now I've considered myself a motorcyclist, not just someone who happens to ride a motorcycle. Out on the road it is easy to spot other motorcyslist by the way theyconduct themselves, and the respect they show other bikers. It isalso just as easy to spot thesquids, the a$$holes, and the posers.

Y'all ride safe, and if you happen to get passed by a redDucati ST3 carrying a rider in full protective gearand a bright yellow helmet, feel free to return the wave.

< Message edited by mollycbr123 -- 10/27/2007 6:41:54 PM > [align=right]
[/align]
You are correct about the initial post, but just let me say, even if the H-D riders knew the Duck was there they probably couldn't tell it from any other racer replica, not that it matters, and if they're anything like me they don't have much respect for those riders as a group anyway. Myself, I don't relate at all to people who are playing at something, and I certainly wouldn't break formation to let them use part of my lane.If you've read any of my other comments you know that goes for posers too. The Winnebago scenario hits home with me big time, but I think you are giving them or any other driver for that matter way too much credit for just being narcissistic or mean spirited. I always keep my cool on the road, probably because I don't take anything personal and just look at all the human hazards out there as nothing more th

Old 10-28-2007, 02:26 PM
cosmic kid
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: atomic

So I am on the Ducati board and they are bashing Harley riders left in right. One guys says he was driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway and a bunch of Harley Riders were doing the speed limit and they wouldn't pull over the right side of their lane so he could pass them in their lane. So he had to pass the unskilled riders by going over the yellow line. Then he bitched because he gave him the finger.

I took exception to this. I am not going to let anyone I don't know pass me in my own lane. Especially on a windy mountain road like the Blue Ridge Parkway. They say I don't know how to ride a motorcycle and bashed me. Am I in the wrong here. I have ridden over 75,000 miles and no bike has ever passed me in my own lane.

This sound dangerous and disrespectul.
I agree. Dangerous anddisrespectful(not to mention weird). Let'em pass on the double-yellow line.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:15 PM
mollycbr123
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Harschl

We live in a me first, me fast, me best world. That Jack off on the Ducati could give a Rats *** about that guy he was passing, his safety, or his livelihood. I’m surprised that the JO on the Ducati was not the flipping the HD rider off.. They believe that their bikes are built better, faster so they will use that regardless of the cost. Kind of like the Jack off’s who drive their 4 wheel drive TRUCKS 100 MPH in snow.
Unless you talked to him, you have no earthly idea whatthe Ducati rider was thinking. Maybe he was too focused on passing as safely as possible to bother with flipping anyone off.I wouldsuspect, given your attitude towards other riders (and also 4-wheel drive trucks apparently), that you would be as much the cause of an unsafe situation out on the road, as anyone trying to pass you would be.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:53 AM
rcartie
Advanced

this weekend on the parkway the bicycle race was going on do you pass them in the same lane or stay behind and watch them puff up a hill at 2 mph ??? I won't complain if another bike goes by me in my lane IF I see him coming up and I acknowledge his presents. in Texas when I lived there on the two lane roads with a wide shoulder, when a faster moving car came up behind you they would flash their lights and expect you to pull over onto the shoulder to let them pass. it worked well and helped avoid long car trailing a tractor paced driver. its all about saftey and respect for each other on the road. I'm not a cop so I figure the Duccoti guy is on his own dime on speed on the road.their bike is more fun to ride fast in the twisty roads our touring bike isn't set up the same so I don't mide the passing in lane. I didn't have the first HD pass me on the parkway cause our riding style and preformance ability of our rides were so similar.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:54 PM
lanceropolis
Tourer
Default Hmmm

I find this both dangerous, and infuriating. Lucky you only gave him the finger.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:10 PM
danielo
Elite HDF Member

Make them go around.

Quick Reply: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane