General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:28 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

ORIGINAL: surv1

My lane, my space. If someone wants to pass, he can go around like everyone else.
This says it all.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 PM
jbhoyle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't get it. My ride is my #1 transportation and my #2 enjoyment(wife #1). If we're cruisen' the hills or wherever, andyour in a bigger hurry than I am, I'll be glad to wave you thru in my lane or any other and hope I don't see you wrapped around a tree pass the next curve. What is with all this mocho bullsh*t ain't nobdy passin me in my lane stuff.COMMON CURTISY on both parts, if your behind me, give me time to make room, and your more than welcome. I'd rather give you the chance to do it safely than make it harder for you to do what your going to do anyway. JMO

Old 10-26-2007, 09:36 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never saw it mentioned in any of the post here, at least not directly.

#1) In the Commonwealth of Virginia it is criminal to ride 2 abreast in the same lane, its considered reckless driving.
No need to share a lane illegally with someone else. I would would not let them by, unless they were forcing me to in some way.

#2) The MAXIMUM speed on the BRP is 45 mph, period. It was NOT designed or intended for high speed anything. Infact you are welcome to do less than 45 mph, and encouraged to use the pulloffs to let others get around you, or let someone get further ahead, RELAX!!
Many of the corners (yes in VA) are rated at 15-20 mph, without guardrails to keep you from going over the embankments.
Some of the grades are greater than 9% (steep).
The Parkway was/is designed for aleisurely ride through the mountains, not a fuggin racetrack.

I have been just about run over by azzhole punks on crouch rockets on Skyline Drive, and that is a 35 mph road, designed for the same purpose as the Parkway. They think it is okay to 65 mph on freshloose gravel.
I am not a slow rider at all, but when I get on the SLD/BRP I am prepared to do the ridiculously slow speeds posted on the signs.
The ride on top of the mountain peaks are not intended to be a route to anywhere. Its a park.
If you want to share lanes with this crazy azzhole, maybe you should be the one prepared to die, because you just might **** me off that day/
It may the day I have decided, I just don't car anymore and take your sorry azz over the edge with me.

If you want to go 100 friggin mph, do it on I-81, or one other of the dozens of roads, not designated as National Parkways.

Maybe there are folks out there that want to obey the laws and speed limits, and don't give a **** about someone elses need to be cool and go fast.
My Harley Davidson can and does go well over 120 mph, as I am sure many others do, but I am not going that fast on the Parkway just to satisfy some *** that thinks because I am obeying the law he/she has the right to run me over.
Maybe I already know a dear or bear, may decide to run across the road in front of me. I don't want to hit one of them at 60 mph.

I guess when you come up on another motorcycle, intend on taking their space maybeYOU should consider the risk............. Is he crazy, will he take me out, run me off the road, shoot my sorry ***? I am not always in a good moodand assume other riders may be of the same mind.

Ride safe,

DougJ

Old 10-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Kevinc
Tourer

My lane is my own. I may let them pass if I feel it is safe, but I decide.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:07 PM
panhead642002
3rd Gear

Yellotang
In perspective. Me passing you inthe samelane on bikes is no different than me passing you on the interstate in our cars.Im with 211 and don't care what he rides.Forcing a rider into on coming traffic to do what can be done in one lane is just your mocho BS. If you can't pisswith the big dogs stay on the porch.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:22 PM
loridah
6th Gear

Allright. Here is my 2 cents. ( I say this jokingly, but sometimes feel like doing this.) When any motorcycle. ( Crotch rocket or bigger bike ) passes me in my OWN lane without letting me know or maybe I havent seen them yet, just as they go by, reach under that leather jacket and pull out that big ole smith and wesson and blow that S.O.B. off the road and he wont do it again. But, seriously. Courtesy is supposed to be the best policy. I try to keep an eye on the mirror and check to see if someone is approaching me from the rear and if it is safe, I will pull over to the right and let them pass. If there is no room, they will have to wait for a chance in the other lane to pass. Pure and simple. And lawful. That blowing by you at 100 mph is scary and stupid. I did have a crotch rocket pass me once doing at least 100mph on his rear wheel. All I could do was stare at the disappearing idiot. Praying he didnt get killed. Mercy. Yall ride safe. W.G.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:48 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

One time, at band camp, I wasridingmy Ducati Monster with some sportbike friends in NC. Two of the three guys were current national champions in their respective class of motorcycle roadracing. We had just gotten through straffing a particularly juicy road when we decided to turn around and run back through. I was the second to last to go. I took off down a 1/2 mile straight heading towards the first 90 deg right hander. I hadmyhead tucked and just topping 105 when, zoom, my friend Scott ripped past me like I was tied to a stump, tapped the brake twice, then disappeared around the 25mph curve. When we got to the other end, I got off the bike, and walked over to him. I stared him straight in the eye, then bowed down and said 'YOU DA MAN!' That was 10 years ago. Just the other day I happen to see Roadracing World magazine on the rack.I picked it up andthumbed through it. In the back, there he was listed-the highest placing privateer in Formula Extreme. He'screeping upon 50 years old and still hasthe Juice.(TrueStory!)
Soooo, pass me in my lane? Sure, just let me know you're there. For those that insist on being beligerant-your are probably the same guys that hog the left lane on the expressway because 'I'm doing the speed limit'

Old 10-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Cynic
Road Captain

Have some of you turds had a lobotomy or what frucking what...Till the day comes when traffic lanes are striped down the center and laws are changed to mandate motorcycle travel in them the whole ****ing lane belongs to whatever individual is occupying it at the time. I won't even try to talk any sense into your ****ing pinheads, just hope you take yourself out before you bring someone else down with you. I pass cars in the striped shoulder all the time and yes, I do know it sometimes scares the **** out of them, but at least it's safe, Point is, I'm not a law ****, just not retarded like some of you are.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 AM
mollycbr123
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Cynic

I pass cars in the striped shoulder all the time and yes, I do know it sometimes scares the **** out of them, but at least it's safe, Point is, I'm not a law ****, just not retarded like some of you are.
If you pass in a manner that "scares the **** out of them", you have,bydefinition, created an unsafe situation. What if you scare them into swerving into you, or off the road?

Ifit's fine for you to scare the **** out of others,then don't complain when someone else does it to you.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Cynic
Road Captain

OK, the premise of the original post was ( you need to read between the lines here!) AHarley rider is out cruising by himself, maybe has the women or kid on back, just smelling the roses, distracted by the pleasure, most likely doing at least the speed limit and the last thing on his mind is how at anymoment some squid riding a bike you can't even hear is going to sneak up behind him and enter his lane at warp speed. When the idiot does blow on by he's left thinking, what if, what a senseless way to be taken out!

We aren't talking about kids out in group blowing back and forth past each other to see who has the biggest dick, we are talking about something else entirely different here. You, and I hate to use the term "riders" who are playing stupid know the distinction full well. Nuff said!

Quick Reply: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane