General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:17 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane

"Splat Bikes" I like that...Don't tread on me!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:36 PM
scott63
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs55thru57.htm

MOTORCYCLES
Motorcyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as automobile drivers. While everyone must follow the same traffic laws, motorcyclists face unusual dangers because motorcycles are hard to see (many motorcycles keep their headlight on, even during daylight hours) and they require exceptional handling ability.
Follow these rules to respect the right-of-way and safely share the road with motorcyclists:
[ul][*]When you change lanes or enter a major thoroughfare, make a visual check for motorcycles. Also use your mirrors. Motorcycles are small and they can easily disappear into a vehicle’s blind spots.[*]Allow a four-second following distance. You will need this space to avoid hitting the motorcyclist if he or she falls.[*]Allow the motorcycle a full lane width. Although it is not illegal to share lanes with motorcycles, it is unsafe.[*]When you make a turn, check for motorcyclists and know their speed before turning.[*]Remember that road conditions which are minor annoyances to you pose major hazards to motorcyclists. Potholes, gravel, wet or slippery surfaces, pavement seams, railroad crossings, and grooved pavement can cause motorcyclists to change speed or direction suddenly. If you are aware of the effect of these conditions and drive with care and attention, you can help reduce motorcyclist injuries and fatalities.[/ul]

Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 PM
scott63
Cruiser

I suspect the statute you refer to deals with lane splitting which is illegal (pick a lane any lane just dont ride the line)

Old 04-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Allow the motorcycle a full lane width. Although it is not illegal to share lanes with motorcycles, it is unsafe.
pretty easy to follow here. Then the California law states that any police officer is allowed to ticket anyone performing an unsafe act while driving/riding.

If in question read again. it is unsafe.

In my state, it is illegal and you will get pulled over for it and ticketed. No brainer for me, stay the Hell out of "MY LANE"

Old 04-25-2007, 11:08 PM
scott63
Cruiser

This will likely be my last comment on this topic. By acknowledging the other riders presence and allowing them a safe pass you maintian some level of control. Chosing to ingore or deny them a safe pass puts everyone around you in danger because they will pass you. I would rather it be a friendly encounter rather than a hostile one.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Peekaboo Bob

105? What, no wheelie? Does that now qualify you as a SQUID?
If you pass across yellow lines it is safest to do it quickly. My Ducati can get to 105 rather quickly. I don't stay at that speed very long.

I have never done a wheelie though. Some guy on GSXR got killed here this past weekend doing a wheelie on the interstate at high speeds. Lost control and down he went.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: scott63

This will likely be my last comment on this topic. By acknowledging the other riders presence and allowing them a safe pass you maintian some level of control. Chosing to ingore or deny them a safe pass puts everyone around you in danger because they will pass you. I would rather it be a friendly encounter rather than a hostile one.
And I would rather let the idiot kill himself because he is such a hurry to end his own life and he doesn't need to include me in his stupidity. And that is my final comment from me. If you don't like it, pass me in your lane, not mine!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 PM
flht69
Cruiser

Sense when did the road rules for bikes become different from cars?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

And I would rather let the idiot kill himself because he is such a hurry to end his own life and he doesn't need to include me in his stupidity. And that is my final comment from me. If you don't like it, pass me in your lane, not mine!

People like you will never get it,you and the millions
out there today like you have no clue what the true
Brotherhood of motorcycling is about. Thats why things
like I'm going to cut and paste here are happining every
where on our roads today. Pretenders and wanna be's
that own motorcycles will never get it EVER" [:'(]

I'll try to make these very long stories real short!

#1 and this one is totally disgusting IMO!

I was riding down the Blue Ridge Parkway in July 2005 peak vacation traffic time. I came around a long sweeping turn on my ZX 1100 Ninja and see in the left lane a young man standing there with his jacket and pants all ripped up and bleeding all over the place with a helmet on, there was a wrecked motorcycle on the side of the road beside him and he is in the middle of the lane with cars and motorcycles coming into my lane to drive/ride around him like he was some old tire lying there in their way not even giving him a second look. (OK" I'm pissed now)

So I go past him about 50 to 75 feet and park the Ninja in the left lane sideways taking up the whole lane with the 4 way flashers on to warn people. I walk up to the young man and he tells me a big motorhome towing an SUV took up both lanes and ran him off the road, they didn't even stop to help him (OK" now I'm more pissed) he said acording to his cell phone clock he was standing there about 15 minutes and I was the only one to stop. (my blood is starting to boil) I went to my bike and got my first aid stuff to patch him up,he has bones sticking through his skin on his left hand and road rash on his legs and arms. (he had gloves on, light jacket and blue jeans) after I patched him up he asked me if I had tools with me to get his bike in running shape enough to get it home which I did and after about an hour total time he was ready to ride to his uncles house about 30 miles away, as luck would have it his uncle was a trauma doctor. So I followed him slowly to his uncles house to make sure he was safe!

We were there on the road for over 1 hour working on him and his wrecked bike, hundreds of cars and motorcycles went by and not one even asked if we were OK never mind stopped to help. Goldwings,Harleys,BMWs,cruisers,sport bikes,sport tourers they all went right by us with outso much as a look!!! (OK" at this point I'm so disgusted with these so called motorcyclests/bikers I want towring someones neck)

[b][i][size=3]That wreck brought me to try a little test, I went up to the BRP 3 weekends in a row on my Wing and put it on the side of the road several times a day with most the fairing pulled off and laying on the ground so it was plain to see I was in trouble and needed help. I did this over 25 times and NOT ONE MOTORCYCLE EVER STOPPED to ask if I needed help! Not a one! I even had a couple on an 1800 Wing pull up on the grass behind me one time and I thought wow someone stopped to help YEAH

Old 04-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: 211Chuck

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

People like you will never get it,you and the millions
out there today like you have no clue what the true
Brotherhood of motorcycling is about. Thats why things
like I'm going to cut and paste here are happining every
where on our roads today. Pretenders and wanna be's
that own motorcycles will never get it EVER" [:'(]

I'll try to make these very long stories real short!

#1 and this one is totally disgusting IMO!

I was riding down the Blue Ridge Parkway in July 2005 peak vacation traffic time. I came around a long sweeping turn on my ZX 1100 Ninja and see in the left lane a young man standing there with his jacket and pants all ripped up and bleeding all over the place with a helmet on, there was a wrecked motorcycle on the side of the road beside him and he is in the middle of the lane with cars and motorcycles coming into my lane to drive/ride around him like he was some old tire lying there in their way not even giving him a second look. (OK" I'm pissed now)

So I go past him about 50 to 75 feet and park the Ninja in the left lane sideways taking up the whole lane with the 4 way flashers on to warn people. I walk up to the young man and he tells me a big motorhome towing an SUV took up both lanes and ran him off the road, they didn't even stop to help him (OK" now I'm more pissed) he said acording to his cell phone clock he was standing there about 15 minutes and I was the only one to stop. (my blood is starting to boil) I went to my bike and got my first aid stuff to patch him up,he has bones sticking through his skin on his left hand and road rash on his legs and arms. (he had gloves on, light jacket and blue jeans) after I patched him up he asked me if I had tools with me to get his bike in running shape enough to get it home which I did and after about an hour total time he was ready to ride to his uncles house about 30 miles away, as luck would have it his uncle was a trauma doctor. So I followed him slowly to his uncles house to make sure he was safe!

We were there on the road for over 1 hour working on him and his wrecked bike, hundreds of cars and motorcycles went by and not one even asked if we were OK never mind stopped to help. Goldwings,Harleys,BMWs,cruisers,sport bikes,sport tourers they all went right by us with outso much as a look!!! (OK" at this point I'm so disgusted with these so called motorcyclests/bikers I want towring someones neck)

[b][i][size=3]That wreck brought me to try a little test, I went up to the BRP 3 weekends in a row on my Wing and put it on the side of the road several times a day with most the fairing pulled off and laying on the ground so it was plain to see I was in trouble and needed help. I did this over 25 times and NOT ONE MOTORCYCLE EVER STOPPED to ask if I needed help! Not a one! I even had a couple on an 1800 Wing pull up on the grass behind me one time and I thought wow someone st

Quick Reply: Am I wrong about letting people pass me in my own lane