General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: Paint experts. How do they do that?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:26 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide1
Can't see the fine detail but, once the base is sprayed, a design is drafted on whatever program system and such file is sent to a vinyl cutter, (plotter) where the design or layout is cut according to the specs.
The vinyl, (masking) is applied to the exiting surface and the section(s) which are going to be sprayed will be weeded out, (removed) and additional color(s) are then sprayed and blended in various stages to acquire the final result.
Once all colors have been sprayed & allowed to cure to the point to where the masking can be removed w/o, damaging, (lifting) the added paint, it is then clear coated.

Personally, base coat / clear is the best way to go, especially when spraying multiple colors and blend jobs.
Great, well thought out, informed answer. Thanks.

Is that a method that would likely be used in a high end shop, or more likely only at in a factory environment like HD? The reason I ask is, If my guy doesn't have access to that software and equip, he will likely be doing his best to replicate it by hand.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:36 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,126 Likes on 12,033 Posts

It takes 7 things to be a top notch painter,

1) Common sense
2) Knowledge
3) Experience
4) Artistic ability
5) Patience (A lot of it)
6) Pride
&
7) A little brain damage helps, left field thinking, outside the box.
Dain Bramage occurs naturally for anyone who sprays automotive finishes.
Isocyanates is the dangerous paint chemical that turns lungs and brains to mush.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/isocyanates/

Old 01-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Riptide1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He can always make multiple scaled paper tape measures and tape it down up against the existing graphics/design vertically & horizontally to show dimensions.
Take a picture and take that to a sign company who can reproduce the masking according to the layout and it's dimensions.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Riptide1
Road Captain

When getting into flames & custom stripping most artist use pin striping or fine edge tape for masking.
Free style air brushing is an art all to itself.
Considering the total number of painters out there, FS artists are few in number.
That's why they get the big bucks, plus they are the best!!!
Top notch professional ones anyways.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Riptide1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by upflying
Dain Bramage occurs naturally for anyone who sprays automotive finishes.
Isocyanates is the dangerous paint chemical that turns lungs and brains to mush.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/isocyanates/

You are 100% correct.
That's why I had to get away from it.
Ended up in the hospital and gave it up immediately.
Now I can't get near any type of these chemicals as I will break out into hives & rashes.

If one researches the topic of isocyanates they will discover how deadly this chemical/binder really is.
Most, if not all of the truck bed liner roll on/spray type of materials are loaded with isocyanates.
There are stories out there where people have sprayed the inside of cargo vans with these types of materials to only fall over dead within minutes later.
Very dangerous & nasty stuff.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

You are 100% correct.
That's why I had to get away from it.
Ended up in the hospital and gave it up immediately.
Now I can't get near any type of these chemicals as I will break out into hives & rashes.

If one researches the topic of isocyanates they will discover how deadly this chemical/binder really is.
Most, if not all of the truck bed liner roll on/spray type of materials are loaded with isocyanates.
There are stories out there where people have sprayed the inside of cargo vans with these types of materials to only fall over dead within minutes later.
Very dangerous & nasty stuff.
This is true with all chemicals involved in the trade. I've been an automotive/industrial painter for 30 years. Never get in a hurry or get cocky and always always always wear the proper ppe for the job. And for f*** sake wear gloves and put a respirator on! Your skin is the largest organ in your body, it absorbs everything you touch. As you've mentioned though, it takes some serious talent to do what some of these guys are capable of. Definitely thinking outside of the box for sure. The problem a lot of painters have, myself included, is that some have a tendency to overthink it. There's some absolutely incredible videos on YouTube and if you watch some of those men and women do their work they make the most difficult looking finish look easy as hell.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Munkee
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by teeroy_
my buddy changed out the front fender on his '14 CVO breakout and painted it himself, he's not a painter but incredibly talented. the lace pattern doesn't match but you have to be pretty close to it to notice. he used actual lace, laid it on the fender and somehow imprinted it into the paint. I would imagine that's how it's done at the factory, just have to find the material with the same pattern...?

Check this out.
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328

Old 01-10-2015, 01:03 AM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Munkee
I wonder if my buddy didn't read that how to, great writeup. he told me he just researched it on the internet and went at it.

is it possible the graphics inside the stripes on the OP's bike are in fact decals that are just clear coated over? I'm certain the HD emblem on my tank is just a decal.

I did read that it takes 17 days and 22 steps for the MOCO to paint the tank on a CVO breakout.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:16 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

If it's not a decal it's going to be difficult to duplicate. They would have laid on the base coat, then used something to create the "striping effect" then put on the top shade.

My boyfriend did this paint job. He created the marbled look by putting down the black, then while it was wet he used cling wrap to create the marble effect, then he laid on the candy blue. The stripe is also painted on, glittered and then shaded.

It's all buried under so much clear that you can't feel any lines on it.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

If I lived in your area, and I wanted the job done right, I would travel an hour or so to one of these two guys: Alan Johnson Graphics in Blairstown, NJ or DeWayne Connot of D.O.A. Flatliners in No Wales, PA. These are not the typical pinstripers that you see at rallies all over the country. Both are world class stripers, special effects guys, and graphics experts. Either one can do the job.

Quick Reply: Attn: Paint experts. How do they do that?